Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening June 28, 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Honestly, this is the logical conclusion to this entire saga. The fact is Disney has kept aspects of Song of the South alive while simultaneously acting like it never existed, and they can’t have it both ways anymore.

Look, we all love what the parks have done with convergence and transmedia with Disney’s properties (none of us would be here if we didn’t), but in the case of Song of the South and Splash Mountain specifically, all it’s done is obscure the source material’s racism while allowing Disney to keep profiting off of it. The company has never really owned up for this blatantly racist content. And that’s to say nothing of the original Br’Er Rabbit stories and how they were divorced from their African origins and recast by a white novelist during Reconstruction. A lot of people who love the cartoon characters they see on Splash Mountain are unaware of their problematic origin, let alone the racist aspects of the film itself. All of this allows us to look at the ride as nothing more than a bunch of cute animals singing happy songs, but there’s dark past behind it all that deserves to be brought to light.

It’s unfortunate that Splash Mountain is part of a long and ugly racist history, but it is. Again, kudos to Disney for acting.
Very well stated.

Reactions: Tristan and Frogki
With the theme parks' financial situation
What everyone seems to be skipping. This is going to suck and be value engineered 110%

I love Splash and will miss it, but Disney has a good opportunity here to right the ship a bit.
You own the site, so you can be political; but I think it's wronging the ship. Not just in the park, but societally as well. If you want to do a live IU podcast with me, we can discuss it in real time.

It also gives Disney's first and only black princess her own headlining attraction.
Which could have happened without getting rid of arguably the best attraction Disney has ever created.

Just checked and yup, WDWMagic is officially having a meltdown over this.
Why wouldn't they? Honestly their Disneyland forums and the Micechat forums make me very sad. There is good info but also lots of entitled people there and terrible rhetoric. It's kind of crazy that some of the biggest fan communities online for my home parks are so terrible. Sorry if this is not kosher dialogue for forums.

You own the site, so you can be political; but I think it's wronging the ship. Not just in the park, but societally as well. If you want to do a live IU podcast with me, we can discuss it in real time.

Forgive me for being blunt - but that's going to be a pass. The last thing we need is a bunch of white dudes talking about this even more than we have. I'd rather invite a person of color.

The transition might be tough but they could blend a little bayou into the approach to PatF with jambalaya and other southern dishes being served in nearby restaurants. Mix in some zydeco or other creole music, some trees (we're already in the swamp) and set the mood a little bit more. Probably too much, though.

Reactions: Tristan and Grabnar
I am so, so excited for this! There is so much potential here for such a terrific ride. I’m sure they’re gonna produce new music for it, but I’m also really hoping we get to hear “Down in New Orleans” at some point, too.

I also wouldn’t be opposed to them adding Tiana’s Place in the style of Be Our Guest somewhere nearby, but I’m getting too ahead of myself.

Regardless, I’m really excited to see how this one turns out!

Love it, but to share where my love is the largest is..is actually with the potential that they could have for Disneyland's. With the changes that will be needed, I'm hoping it gives WDI the chance to reprofile the track, to accommodate the two-person per row log's that WDW and TDL has for their Splash.

Seeing the chance for Disneyland to expand New Orleans Square, and to include Tiana makes me giddy. Along with the creative team onboard, I'm for this.

What irks me is that there are areas in the parks that are clearly problematic that need addressing. (Ahem, Tomorrowland). Yet Disney wants to blow their money on fixing things that aren’t “broken”.
This was my first thought too - it’s a lot of money to be spending in the current environment on a ride that is well rated.

But then I remembered that for the last I don’t know how many times I’ve been on Splash, I’ve spent more time looking for broken effects or peeling paint than enjoying the ride. And that doesn’t even account for the one time I went on DLR’s and was like... yikes.

To be honest, they can probably pay for it with what will be taken away from the hotel side.

That's what I meant. Orlando's Space Mountain is a mess.
Curious. Besides its inferior theming to Disneyland's, is there another issue with Space Mountain?
-------
On the topic of Splash, I have many thoughts.

For starters, I love The Princess and The Frog. It was the last 2-D animated Disney film, the jazzy New Orleans setting, and of course an awesome villain. Since the film has several character deaths, I am surprised that this will not be a "book report" attraction. Makes me curious how Dr. Facilier will be revived, or how "frogginess" will be included into the plot. I hope Ray makes an appearance as a star, heartwarming way to the the ride. I feel like this attraction can't have a passive storyline, similar to Frozen Ever After, for the reasons mentioned above. My main concern with the retheme is shared with many of you. I worry that the attraction could be half-baked, with lesser or cheaper theming, coming across as an obvious retrofit.

Feel like this has been a blue sky idea at Disney for awhile. I am pretty impressed that members of the GP would accurately guess what would replace Splash.

Last edited:
What irks me is that there are areas in the parks that are clearly problematic that need addressing. (Ahem, Tomorrowland). Yet Disney wants to blow their money on fixing things that aren’t “broken”.

I mean, a Tomorrowland refresh has been incredibly rumored to the point of seeming almost confirmed, so it's not like they're oblivious to it. Plus, it's literally in the process of getting a big new coaster. Weird place to compare honestly.

And societally/morally broken is still broken.

Love it, but to share where my love is the largest is..is actually with the potential that they could have for Disneyland's. With the changes that will be needed, I'm hoping it gives WDI the chance to reprofile the track, to accommodate the two-person per row log's that WDW and TDL has for their Splash.

Seeing the chance for Disneyland to expand New Orleans Square, and to include Tiana makes me giddy. Along with the creative team onboard, I'm for this.
Yeah no, gonna have to ask that Disneyland keeps their unique, lapbar-less ride design. Splash loses so much of the thrill if you add seatbelts.

It's really bad lol

I mean, some of the reply tweets there are pretty bad takes, too, having already reached the "anybody who's not thrilled about this is a racist" level.

I also wouldn’t be opposed to them adding Tiana’s Place in the style of Be Our Guest somewhere nearby, but I’m getting too ahead of myself.

I would never say no to some New Orleans-influenced fare, but there's not really space to add a restaurant of any real size nearby. At least I don't think.

There would have been if Disney had taken my pitch for a complete New Orleans mini-land around the corner from Haunted Mansion, but alas.

Reactions: Allison
I am so, so excited for this! There is so much potential here for such a terrific ride. I’m sure they’re gonna produce new music for it, but I’m also really hoping we get to hear “Down in New Orleans” at some point, too.

Regardless, I’m really excited to see how this one turns out!
Tiana's place will likely only ever happen if they permanently dock the Mark Twain. This has been talked about I know, as it would also allow for a bridge to be put in place from Big Thunder to Tom Sawyer Island. Tiana was supposed to be getting a restaurant at the Reflections DVC, but that seems to not be happening now...

Reactions: Allison