Universal Great Britain | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I read that JK Rowling was against the idea of a HP Hotel and that is the reason Universal couldn't build one in Orlando.

Apologies with the boring stuff from me again, I just realised I forgot to mention some addition local infrastructure information I found at the weekend.

Further down the A421 where it meets the A1 (go North to Edinburgh, South to get to literally the center of London), there is a large roundabout known as the “Black Cat roundabout”.

It’s been notorious for jams and grid lock for years, and is a point of interest on traffic reports.

The local government have begun work to try and solve this issue. They proposed to build a dual carriage way (2 lane, 70mph road, likely with lay-bys) to join the A421 and the A428 directly.

It means you could potentially drive on dual carriage way from Milton Keynes past Cambridge and all the way to the port of Felixstowe.

It’s worth noting that the A421 was closed yesterday at the Black Cat and the diggers were there, so work has started.

This video really covers it best, it’s the infrastructure that’s been needed for a long time for the UK and must be vital to the potential Universal GB Park.

Last edited:
Sadly, still a bit dark in the morning to get good photos of the site from the train - deceptively bright skies due to long exposure. I think this towards south (the other photos without trees were just a mess). Couple of weeks and I'll get a good view.

1705416151646.png

We can't have Potter in a Universal GB park when they already have a Studio tour down the road.... except in Japan, it's totally fine there.

Joking aside, this does show that from a contracts point of view there probably isn't a reason Universal wouldn't be able to have some kind of Potter at UGB. Might chose not to of course.

We can't have Potter in a Universal GB park when they already have a Studio tour down the road.... except in Japan, it's totally fine there.

Joking aside, this does show that from a contracts point of view there probably isn't a reason Universal wouldn't be able to have some kind of Potter at UGB. Might chose not to of course.

I think this is a bit different, as this studio tour is in Tokyo, and the theme park is in Osaka. That isn't horribly far, but distant enough that they accommodate different parts of the country. That being said, I agree that Potter is still a possibility for USGB.

Reactions: Jamesh22
I think this is a bit different, as this studio tour is in Tokyo, and the theme park is in Osaka. That isn't horribly far, but distant enough that they accommodate different parts of the country. That being said, I agree that Potter is still a possibility for USGB.

All we know is potter may well be, just not any of the existing Orlando attractions.

That just doesn’t leave much on the table for a full fledged land, that universal is of course known for.

Reactions: Nico
Or they build the same Hogsmeade Village they have in all the other parks, just with a different array of attractions in it. I'm sure they have a list of other attractions they COULD build behind the same facades. Maybe they get the Shrieking Shack on the edge of the village where Hagrid's is, and a Scoop ride with a different story line than Forbidden Journey in the Castle? That would be the best solution to give people what they want/expect AND give unique to the UK attractions.

Apart from the fact it's the equivalent distance from Bedford of having a Potter Studio tour in Paris, France . Not 45 mins down the M1 motorway. So the reason would be why would WB be cannibalising business from something they get 100% of the profits from? They're not gonna be interested in licensing

And to answer @GAcoaster point. Hogsmeade wouldn't be built because they have it in Orlando. So what exactly gets built that's worth paying the fees and has as much draw as the Orlando locations?

Last edited:
First time poster so hi everyone!

As people have probably heard Warner/HBO are rebooting Harry Potter with a live action tv series based on the books, chances are it’ll also be filmed at Leavesden where the films were made and also where the studio tour is based.

Uni obviously have the IP for the HP theme park rights and if I’m correct these have to be paid per park?

Maybe we won’t get a Harry Potter land based on the films when/if the park first opens, but maybe there’s an opportunity for universal to get the rights to open a Harry Potter area based on this new TV series instead?

The TV show is obviously going to be different to the movie series, they’re going to want to differentiate it whether that’s a different font, castle and whatever else. There’ll also be far more plot points that are book accurate that weren’t in the films.

Surely this would be a win win? It wouldn’t cross over with the studio tour down the road because the sets will no doubt be stylistically different in order to differentiate from the movies and it also won’t eat into what Orlando has to offer.

It’d also give the UK park something different whilst still being connected to the IP. The show itself most likely won’t be out until 2027/28 so it’d still be ‘new’ by time this is supposed to open.

As people have probably heard Warner/HBO are rebooting Harry Potter with a live action tv series based on the books, chances are it’ll also be filmed at Leavesden where the films were made and also where the studio tour is based.

Uni obviously have the IP for the HP theme park rights and if I’m correct these have to be paid per park?

Maybe we won’t get a Harry Potter land based on the films when/if the park first opens, but maybe there’s an opportunity for universal to get the rights to open a Harry Potter area based on this new TV series instead?

The TV show is obviously going to be different to the movie series, they’re going to want to differentiate it whether that’s a different font, castle and whatever else. There’ll also be far more plot points that are book accurate that weren’t in the films.

Surely this would be a win win? It wouldn’t cross over with the studio tour down the road because the sets will no doubt be stylistically different in order to differentiate from the movies and it also won’t eat into what Orlando has to offer.

It’d also give the UK park something different whilst still being connected to the IP. The show itself most likely won’t be out until 2027/28 so it’d still be ‘new’ by time this is supposed to open.

I'd personally wait until we know if the show takes off or not. I don't know know if there's actually demand or a market for the new show or if it's just some Zaslav fever dream.

I'd personally wait until we know if the show takes off or not. I don't know know if there's actually demand or a market for the new show or if it's just some Zaslav fever dream.
I guess so but I think with how busy the parks are, the studio tour is and with Hogwarts Legacy becoming game of the year last year I think there’s still a market and I have faith HBO will do it justice.

This being more book accurate hopefully will make the story feel ‘new’ because there will simply be more plot lines.

Considering this park is being planned now, it’s unlikely it will be based on any new franchises.

The only location I see left is Azkaban but when you think about what a theme park land needs, commercial, F&B etc that’s also unlikely.

I don’t see us shopping at Azkaban canteen (commissary) anytime soon.

Another small update, mainly relating to the local MP.

Mr Strathern said he attended a "positive and constructive" meeting with leading executives from Universal and the local parish council, Stewartby and Kempston Hardwick.

He said parish councillors were able to put forward questions and concerns on behalf of their community.

"There is a lot of real excitement among local residents, after some initial disbelief.”

"People are excited about the scale of the project and job opportunities, and see this as a chance to address longstanding concerns about our infrastructure."

Last edited:
Apart from the fact it's the equivalent distance from Bedford of having a Potter Studio tour in Paris, France . Not 45 mins down the M1 motorway. So the reason would be why would WB be cannibalising business from something they get 100% of the profits from? They're not gonna be interested in licensing

And to answer @GAcoaster point. Hogsmeade wouldn't be built because they have it in Orlando. So what exactly gets built that's worth paying the fees and has as much draw as the Orlando locations?
That's not how corporations work or think speaking from my experience.
This would be seen as a new revenue stream and would factor in calculations of any reduction in revenue at the tour from canablization. Generally these type of things lead to an increase in overall revenue generation which is all the been counters care about.

As I said, I was joking, and agree with you that the tour proximity IS a factor, but contracts or WB approval is very unlikely to be a reason not to put Potter in the park. The more likely reasons IMO are A) - wanting to use more Uni owned IPs and B) not having anything suitable to add due to not wanting to clone anything in Orlando.

The thing I just find hard to get my head around is them not wanting the massive F&B sales that come with Potter and Nintendo (which also seems absent from the concept art). Thats a huge amount of cash to leave on the table.

Welcome!

Reactions: Jake S and IzzyB
I wouldn't be too focused on what the concept art is and is not showing. I'd wait until concept art that actually matches the land they own drops and then we can get a real idea on what they are thinking about bringing. The concept art floating around feels like a quickly put together concept to show what it may look like without decisions on the actual rides/ip having been made yet.