Universal Great Britain | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So now the cat's out of the bag do the locals grab pitchforks and torches to stop Universal, or do they strike up the band and welcome them with a laurel and hearty handshake?
My extremely unscientific idea of posting the story in my villages Facebook group has been overwhelmingly positive, which was a shock as normally quite NIMBY

If Universal tried London maybe not. But I think they were smart by finding a location that will probably roll out the red carpet.

Sidebar: At this point I think we need a speculation thread.
At the very least, we need blue sky discussion to be separated from actual rumors. I think some want us to be where Epic Universe is at with *the potential* UGB, and that's not gonna happen for at least a few years imo. IP's are cool to think about once they've actually gone in and designed the place.

I laid out a rough timeline on my thread last night. Despite all the research we've done so far, it's quite difficult to get your head around the UK planning process so it's gonna take a whole lot more research, I do feel that have done a lot more work this past year than they are admitting and land purchase was at the end of that process not the start:

I laid out a rough timeline on my thread last night. Despite all the research we've done so far, it's quite difficult to get your head around the UK planning process so it's gonna take a whole lot more research, I do feel that have done a lot more work this past year than they are admitting and land purchase was at the end of that process not the start:

This is where we have to separate Universal and the gimmick that was the London Resort.

I've seen comments online from some people saying they don't want it to end up like the London Resort. But the average person won't understand that the people behind the London Resort didn't own the land and didn't have any substantial finances backing them. Not to mention they chose a pretty stupid location, with no experience in constructing themed entertainment.

I'm presuming Universal have been scoping sites for a while and have opted for this particular one due to a number of reasons. It's probably a lot easier to build on with some of it being a former manufacturing site. And they've probably been investigating the planning system and the usual pitfalls other projects have fallen into. It doesn't look like a site for endangered jumping spiders o_O:lmao:

@Alicia -- you really opened a can of worms at Universal! I just heard they sent out an email to employees today confirming the purchase of the land and potential development (essentially what they told the newspaper). So many people already knew of course because they all follow Orlando Park Stop... :D

Universal has purchased the land without the approval for the resort being contingent on approval which suggests that the project will go forward.

Another one of Jim Shull's tweets has caught my attention. Whose approval is he talking about?

This is where we have to separate Universal and the gimmick that was the London Resort.

I've seen comments online from some people saying they don't want it to end up like the London Resort. But the average person won't understand that the people behind the London Resort didn't own the land and didn't have any substantial finances backing them. Not to mention they chose a pretty stupid location, with no experience in constructing themed entertainment.

I'm presuming Universal have been scoping sites for a while and have opted for this particular one due to a number of reasons. It's probably a lot easier to build on with some of it being a former manufacturing site. And they've probably been investigating the planning system and the usual pitfalls other projects have fallen into. It doesn't look like a site for endangered jumping spiders o_O:lmao:

As I've said previously. It was always about the money, it was never about spiders. The theme park and SSSI could have co-existed the same way a major London airport and SSSI do too. They just never had the cash.

During our research I scope the site for any environmental issues it is semi brown field site and Universal can pretty much do what they did with Epic and the Shingle Creek and be absolutely fine. There is some other things to figure out but the NSIP should help

Taken from TowersStreet, sounds like Uni have been trying to buy the houses near the parcel of land with one getting double its value!

I live about a mile away from the proposed site. It was exceptionally strange to be watching Theme Park Stop's video about the development (I watch their content regularly to keep to up to date with Epic Universe) and to see my house in the aerial view of the proposed site.

This site has been earmarked for development for I'd say the last 10 years. Several projects have been floated and never come to fruition - notably NIRAH - an aquarium on the scale of something like the Eden Project (you can read more about that
here).
Universal will be mainly concerned with the transport infrastructure. Looking at the above map, I imagine the A421 will have to be upgraded (currently, it can be hellish during rush hour traffic).

The Marston Vale line will need significant improvements. The rail stock currently used on it is outdated and the line has frequently been out of action for passenger use. Train frequency in the past has been 1 per hour although there are plans to improve this to every 20 minutes in the future (I don't know why because there isn't current passenger demand to warrant this).

There are also houses along Manor Road. You'll notice a small rectangle of land left of the MANOR ROAD text on the above image that Universal hasn't acquired - this is a row of houses. I know someone who lives in one of these houses, she says attempts have been made for months to buy them out - she's received letters asking to buy her property for a 'development' (no specifics as to what), it was assumed by the locals that it was going to be a housing estate. She's said it's clear the company is desperate for the land, with one neighbour managing to negotiate more than double what their property is worth.

What is great for Universal is a new train station has been planned to be built on the Thameslink line (links directly to London and Luton Airport) close to the point where the line intersects the B530 - this station is to serve a new town (Wixams) that's being built which you can see to the right of this. This station was a selling point to those looking to move to the new town but it's development has been delayed for approximately the last 10 years. Interestingly, it appears that recently Bedford council are getting the wheels in motion in bringing it to fruition and there appears to be a lot more momentum in the project now (coincidence?).

During the last year Bedford council have announced a lot of significant road improvements for the area. Again, this could just be a coincidence.

It is clear to me Universal is going ALL in here. Lessons learned from Beijing and Epic Universe builds will only help this park be successful. Thrilled for our UK and Europe friends on here.
Yeah I’m thinking this is going to go through. I visited London for a day earlier this year on my way to Israel and I’ve been wanting to set up a full on trip there since then and this is the perfect excuse :lmao:

Reactions: Nico and LieutLaww