Universal Kids Resort - Frisco, Texas | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Kids Resort - Frisco, Texas

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If this is successful, I'm really curious to see if some others may pop up around the country. New York could be a good pick for a future one - despite the climate Legoland New York seems to be doing quite well.

Wonder what the permitting system is like in Frisco.

City Council is indicating that this still needs to go through P&Z for SUP, but not sure why they'd do all of the announcements without preliminary approval. They are also indicating it was a private land sale between the developer of Fields and Universal. Universal supposedly purchased the land in December and the rumor is there is a stipulation in the purchase that they must open within 4 years of land purchase. On the other side of this development, the PGA has come in and will be opening recently so seems like they are trying to keep the momentum rolling as they continue to develop.

The Mayor of Frisco owns a local real estate company, even with its own commercial & property management arms in addition to residential, and has a vested interest in the success of Fields, so I am sure this will all move pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Its insane if this opens within 2-3 years and thats how long it takes to build one ride in other parks

(CA park is because of red tape)

Wonder what the permitting system is like in Frisco.
Maybe try this: eTRAKiT

Also, the park concept art shown seems to be vastly different than what is actually being planned/shown. (Map in spoiler).
Just like the initial site plans for Epic Universe and Beijing, sometimes these plans just show how the land could be used and are not accurate to the final plans. Given this park is intended to open within four years, and given the detail of the provided concept art, I'd be 99% sure that the concept art is very close to their final plans.

Last edited:
I find it quite comical how some seem to be belittling this park because it is smaller and has a different demographic target than the larger Universal Resorts. I still think that this is a big piece of news and is a reaction to trends of developing more regional leisure attractions. Travel has become a HUGE pain for everyone...financially and in just about every other measurable way. Many families want to spend more of their leisure time and budget closer to home....whether that be national parks, state parks, theme parks or other attractions. I think that this a bold move by Comcast to grow their brands and become more synonymous with family entertainment.....all while the Mouse rests on its laurels. It will be interesting to follow in the years to come.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
This is an insane announcement :lol:

It’ll be interesting to see how big this investment ends up being—truthfully, I see no downside repping the brand and engaging a whole new part of the country with your IP, so they could go as big or small as they want and not really see any downside.

My biggest takeaway is what this could mean for expanding the Wizarding World “ultra-immersive IP-based environment” concept to full parks. Peppa Pig did it in Central FL (and to an extent, so did Legoland next door), Ferrari has the Port Aventura extension. Could the Frisco park’s success be a sign of full-fledged HP parks in underserved metros around the country? Or better yet, new concepts for Marvel, Jurassic World, etc.

It’s crazy that we went from no new stateside parks since 2001 to Epic, Frisco, and the Vegas HHN in the span of just a few years. Good on Universal for all the investment.

It’ll be interesting to see how big this investment ends up being—truthfully, I see no downside repping the brand and engaging a whole new part of the country with your IP, so they could go as big or small as they want and not really see any downside.

My biggest takeaway is what this could mean for expanding the Wizarding World “ultra-immersive IP-based environment” concept to full parks. Peppa Pig did it in Central FL (and to an extent, so did Legoland next door), Ferrari has the Port Aventura extension. Could the Frisco park’s success be a sign of full-fledged HP parks in underserved metros around the country? Or better yet, new concepts for Marvel, Jurassic World, etc.

It’s crazy that we went from no new stateside parks since 2001 to Epic, Frisco, and the Vegas HHN in the span of just a few years. Good on Universal for all the investment.
The downside would obviously be cannibalizing their Orlando park- which they’re investing billions in currently.
So a HP park, marvel, JW, etc would be a bad idea, IMO with loads of downside.
Namely- you’re trading out of town visitors who are massive spenders for local visitors for their small regional park. Terrible decision, imo.

This park? Definitely no downside outside of possibly diluting the brand (which, if done well, is a none issue). Because this park has no cannibalization. Under 42” sucks at UOR. This fills that niche perfect and only pulls from Disney’s crowd.

Last edited:
Reactions: GA-MBIT and Clive

I was just thinking about how crazy a true and full sized Jurassic World park would be.

The downside would obviously be cannibalizing their Orlando park- which they’re investing billions in currently.
So a HP park, marvel, JW, etc would be a bad idea, IMO with loads of downside.
Namely- you’re trading out of town visitors who are massive spenders for local visitors for their small regional park. Terrible decision, imo.

I thought about that but it depends on a few things we won’t know about until it opens. Guests coming to Frisco instead of Orlando are still spending money with Universal regardless of which park they’re at. The hotel will also be purely incremental revenue given the onsite hotels in Orlando (by all accounts) are busting at the seams.

This also looks to be targeting a whole new type of guest than the flagship parks. Sure, it may be filled with a bunch of rides we’ve already seen before, but consolidating them all into one spot makes this a unique product in their portfolio. Where a family in Texas may not travel all the way out to Orlando to pay for one resort that includes Rockit, Velocicoaster, FJ, etc. with some kids’ rides sprinkled in, they theoretically wouldn’t have a problem driving down and paying for a ticket that only comes with things their family can do. Again, incremental revenue.

It depends on pricing and the ultimate ride lineup…so yeah, I guess there IS room to screw this up, but I think this is ultimately a safe bet for Universal.

Reactions: Stonecoldfreak1
Hard rock park opened in 2008
Lost Island opened 2022
Nickelodeon universe opened in 2019
OWA park opened in 2017

shall I go on :grin::bolt:

Reactions: JaySalahi
I thought about that but it depends on a few things we won’t know about until it opens. Guests coming to Frisco instead of Orlando are still spending money with Universal regardless of which park they’re at. The hotel will also be purely incremental revenue given the onsite hotels in Orlando (by all accounts) are busting at the seams.

This also looks to be targeting a whole new type of guest than the flagship parks. Sure, it may be filled with a bunch of rides we’ve already seen before, but consolidating them all into one spot makes this a unique product in their portfolio. Where a family in Texas may not travel all the way out to Orlando to pay for one resort that includes Rockit, Velocicoaster, FJ, etc. with some kids’ rides sprinkled in, they theoretically wouldn’t have a problem driving down and paying for a ticket that only comes with things their family can do. Again, incremental revenue.

It depends on pricing and the ultimate ride lineup…so yeah, I guess there IS room to screw this up, but I think this is ultimately a safe bet for Universal.
I agree with all of this. I’m agreeing that this park makes sense. But a dedicated HP or JP park likely wouldn’t.

Simply because 2-7 years old isn’t the UOR demo and this fills that void in their lineup. This park will almost exclusively pull from WDW on a regional level. A HP park, for example, would absolutely pull from UOR.

In the same vein, a Disney park like this would equally be a bad idea.

I agree with all of this. I’m agreeing that this park makes sense. But a dedicated HP or JP park likely wouldn’t.

Simply because 2-7 years old isn’t the UOR demo and this fills that void in their lineup. This park will almost exclusively pull from WDW on a regional level. A HP park, for example, would absolutely pull from UOR.

Ahhh I’m tracking now. You’re right, but I’m blinded by how badly I’d want to go to a fully dedicated Marvel park some day lol

Hell has frozen over not just because Mission Ferrari opened but I'm agreeing in full with AndySol.

I also think you don't see any HP, Nintendo , Marvel, etc presence in these type parks other than maybe pop ups and meet and greets as Universal doesn't own those Ip's. They put them there, they have to pay the rights holders more. With, what we assume will be, a smaller, cheaper, Uni experience, they'll want to make sure everything in them they own to minimize costs.

Not to mention, what do they do if they do a Nintendo only park and then lose the rights? Shut the whole place down for retheming?

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Completed version of my spec map, with only minor changes from the last one, and some specific thoughts on what might be in each land below (5:56 UPDATE with possible building layouts for Shrek and Jurassic World rides. UPDATE: With suggestions from Upper Lot Podcast tweet):
Frisco Spec Map v3.jpg

Hotel/Entry:
Themed to the Cloud Gardens as seen in the new DreamWorks opening animation from Puss in Boots the Last Wish. The hotel will contain 300 rooms with two separate wings, and suites looking out towards the center of the park. The hotel will contain small shops, dining locations, and outdoor resting patios, as well as a large table service restaurant with early-morning breakfast and character dining. Similar to the Grand Californian at DCA, parts of the hotel building will be taken up by in-park shopping and dining, likely including small treat and merchandise venues ala Port of Entry, as well as the mandatory in-park Starbucks.

The hub's marquee attraction will be a boat ride that takes viewers through each of the lands with small vignettes along the ride path, similar to Shanghai Disneyland's Voyage to the Crystal Grotto. The central lagoon acts as both the loading area and platform for the park's daytime and nighttime fountain shows.

Similar to Epic Universe, the hub branches off into four distinctly themed areas. Moving clockwise from the bottom left...

Madagascar (Central Park Circus):
An area meant for the youngest visitors, with a heavy emphasis on simple, park-like playgrounds, splash pads, and small water slides. Divided into two sub-sections, the land is anchored (so-to-speak) by a Zamperla Happy Swing and a sprawling playground structure themed to the circus from Madagascar 3, which has taken up residence in the Central Park Zoo. Meanwhile, the penguins, and their dilapidated plane, have landed at the back side of the land, offering guests slides, puddle pads, and covered changing areas.

Jurassic World (Camp Cretaceous): For more adventurous and independent children, Camp Cretaceous cribs liberally from the show's first season, with multi-level playgrounds designed to replicate the canopy camp quarters, an advanced Zamperla spinner (possibly a Kite Flyer or Telecombat model based on the art), and a deeply immersive indoor discovery center themed around the show's remote InGen Genetics Lab. The land is anchored by a short launched family coaster, with low-to-the-ground thrills and one to two short indoor show scenes. In terms of intensity and theming, it should be either equal to or above to the classic Dragon family coaster found at Legoland California. Additionally, a restaurant similar to Thunder Falls Terrace adjoins the Genetics Lab. Finally, a small shack along the water acts as either a meet and greet space or a sensory/quiet area.

Shrek (Forest/Far Far Away): Far Far Away contains one major dark ride and a selection of other flat rides. The anchor attraction, a short journey through the world of Shrek, has you enter from Shrek's Swamp into a entrance at the side of his home. The queue then wraps around the building, before loading/unloading by the king's castle. Exiting the ride and entering the castle courtyard, visitors have the option of riding a Zamperla Pump & Jumpz, delving into a hidden maze at the edges of the castle, flying on a Dragon spinner, or grabbing lunch at the nearby quick service.

Trolls Village: The main entertainment venue of the land, with a large character stage and adjoining backstage areas at the center of the land. The land also has a spinning flat ride (Freeze Ray Sliders Clone or Zamperla Demolition Derby), a Zamperla Spinning Skateboard, a restaurant with backstage adjoining the hotel's table service character dining, and potentially the long-rumored Trolls Boat Ride at the back of the land.

Expansion Plots:
The park will have two main expansion plots of varying size. Space exists between Shrek and Trolls for a small expansion to either the Shrek or Trolls areas of the park.
However, the main expansion plot lies at the dead end between Shrek and Jurassic World. Behind this area, there is potentially the space for one or two more themed lands located to the upper left and upper right of the Jurassic and Shrek plots respectively. Areas of the rolling garden space between the land could also be used for additional flat rides later down the line.

Official pages to compare the referenced Zamperla flat rides to the concept art:
Super Happy Swing:
Telecombat:
Kite Flyer:
Samba Balloon
Skateboard Ride:
Rockin' Tug
Flying Wheels:

Last edited:
Thank you for all that, great work.

Was surprised to see no shrek rides yet because I swore everyone was saying they saw his area in the art
Shrek is in there. It's the land on the upper right side of the park with (presumably) a short dark ride, a Pump and Jumpz, a Dragon Spinner, a Quick Service, and a hedge maze.

Reactions: Jerroddragon