Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs | Page 111 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My only real concern is that it will make other wait times longer but in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather wait 5mins more for Mummy, 5mins more for MIB, 5 mins more for Simpsons and then walk on DM.

In a strange way, it's a better use of technology for a way to eliminate stand-by altogether. It allows individuals to queue up and enjoy the park for a few minutes without having to wait in line. Plus, its using the UOR app which may be a great use of the technology; thus allowing guests to either go take a quick bite, use the shops, the restrooms, or to see a live show going on.

It's something that will help the low capacity attractions flow potentially easier and without as much of an issue than before. I imagine it'll be greatly used to it's advantage for when Fallon opens up, as I'm interested for the case of Nintendo if there is any attractions in that land that may require it.

As others have said, eliminating standby altogether is impossible. The park simply couldn't handle it. If you took a busy day, and instead of every ride having a large percentage of the people in 30-120 minute long lines, they were walking around, shopping, or eating, the walkways would be so crowded that you couldn't move. A parks overall capacity accounts for people standing in lines, so removing queues reduces overall park capacity. It'll be interesting to see what the criteria is for queue-less attractions is. I agree that the low capacity rides that back up will be the most likely ones to end up with this. This DM test may be just a test for Fallon though. A real world test of a similar ride to fine tune it and experiment with different configurations. How well it works with DM may determine if it gets to keep queue-less or not.

As others have said, eliminating standby altogether is impossible. The park simply couldn't handle it. If you took a busy day, and instead of every ride having a large percentage of the people in 30-120 minute long lines, they were walking around, shopping, or eating, the walkways would be so crowded that you couldn't move. A parks overall capacity accounts for people standing in lines, so removing queues reduces overall park capacity. It'll be interesting to see what the criteria is for queue-less attractions is. I agree that the low capacity rides that back up will be the most likely ones to end up with this. This DM test may be just a test for Fallon though. A real world test of a similar ride to fine tune it and experiment with different configurations. How well it works with DM may determine if it gets to keep queue-less or not.

With people debating the meaning of what an E ticket means, bringing in this kind of waiting concept could bring in a new category or ride ratings for Universal. Capacity + popularity resulting in queueless.

My only real concern is that it will make other wait times longer but in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather wait 5mins more for Mummy, 5mins more for MIB, 5 mins more for Simpsons and then walk on DM.
If it ultimately is rolled out to all the attractions with VQ as the only option and you can only reserve one spot at a time then it would have no effect at all on other attractions wait times. To me that would be the way to go. No planning needed you get to the park and choose what you want to wait for when you want to.

If it ultimately is rolled out to all the attractions with VQ as the only option and you can only reserve one spot at a time then it would have no effect at all on other attractions wait times. To me that would be the way to go. No planning needed you get to the park and choose what you want to wait for when you want to.
But as Disney's system shows, this doesn't work out very well for local APs.

Reactions: johnnyslimane

Except the park can't handle that many people just walking around. I'm not sure how you'd even design a park from the ground up to deal with that many people not in queues.

Reactions: johnnyslimane
But as Disney's system shows, this doesn't work out very well for local APs.
Disney's system requires you to plan ahead, if they implement the system the way I suggested it would be no different than showing up and waiting in line. This is pretty much how they have it working now for the test. As a local AP I hate the Disney system, but something like this would be great.
Except the park can't handle that many people just walking around. I'm not sure how you'd even design a park from the ground up to deal with that many people not in queues.
I don't know that this would be that big of a problem most of the time, certainly during peak times it could be an issue. I guess more street entertainment, shops and restaurants would help.

As I've said before, I doubt this would be used on the attractions that have elaborate queues (Gringotts, ET, Mummy, Simpsons, FJ, Spidey, Kong, Transformers, and a few others). Those queues are attractions in themselves and can hold and entertain a large number of people). They put too much money into them to bypass....Also, this might be a tool that used for busy to very busy attendance days rather than moderate & slow attendance days. Just my thoughts though.

For fast passes I usually look a week ahead and select my options, but once there continue to modify and check for earlier times. It's really not hard to work the system. Just this weekend I was able to jump ahead 4 hours on my Toy Story fastpass by continuing to check.

I really don't see Universal using this in every ride. One the queues as others have said along with the amount of money they make in express. Express might still work with Fallon, but I'm interested in how.

Reactions: Nick