Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs | Page 112 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
One other point on free virtual queue systems. Universal makes a tidy sum selling Express passes and gets a premium for deluxe hotel rooms largely due to hotel Express passes. So I very much doubt Universal would forgo this revenue stream to use free virtual queues for more than a couple attractions.

One other point on free virtual queue systems. Universal makes a tidy sum selling Express passes and gets a premium for deluxe hotel rooms largely due to hotel Express passes. So I very much doubt Universal would forgo this revenue stream to use free virtual queues for more than a couple attractions.
This is a good point, but as more hotels are added I don't know that that is a sustainable model. Perhaps they could integrate it into the system so that if you're at a hotel it gives you priority choices.

Reactions: Joel
Express Pass could still be a plus because it allows the holder to choose to the ride right when they choose to. They don't have to wait till a certain time to enter the queue. Also, if the VQ is full for the day people with Express can still ride the ride.

This is a good point, but as more hotels are added I don't know that that is a sustainable model. Perhaps they could integrate it into the system so that if you're at a hotel it gives you priority choices.
Presently, Express is limited to three hotels. I think I read that was contractual also. That keeps the express lines true express. But, there's considerable income from selling the"in park Express tickets". And, I believe that's a finate number also, which again keeps the Express lines true express. Too much income to turn away.....Combine that with the money Universal has invested in elaborate queues, I can't see a virtual queue system for anything but a few attractions.

Reactions: Mike S
Presently, Express is limited to three hotels. I think I read that was contractual also. That keeps the express lines true express. But, there's considerable income from selling the"in park Express tickets". And, I believe that's a finate number also, which again keeps the Express lines true express. Too much income to turn away.....Combine that with the money Universal has invested in elaborate queues, I can't see a virtual queue system for anything but a few attractions.
Well yeah it's worked for now because the hotels added since have been in the moderate/value range, but what happens when they finally add a few more high end hotels? They then would be putting those new hotels at a disadvantage if they don't add Express and as you said if they start adding express to more hotels it messes up the system. Seems like this system could be what they transition to as the resort grows.

Well yeah it's worked for now because the hotels added since have been in the moderate/value range, but what happens when they finally add a few more high end hotels? They then would be putting those new hotels at a disadvantage if they don't add Express and as you said if they start adding express to more hotels it messes up the system. Seems like this system could be what they transition to as the resort grows.
I think Express is limited to three. What three could change.

Third (/fourth?) gate would help with that, more attractions to handle increased # of express passes.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Well if they changed it that would be a huge disaster. People would book the hotels they're familiar with and not realize they didn't get it and then you would still have the issue of it being off balance if available for some hotels and not others.

Universal has discussed this as an overall system in countless surveys over the years and from tests and wording in how they put this forward both at VB and now Fallon it really seems like they want to transition to this system. I don't think it's going to happen overnight. I think Fallon will open with it, they may decide to keep it at Minions and Shrek and then slowly add other attractions.

Well if they changed it that would be a huge disaster. People would book the hotels they're familiar with and not realize they didn't get it and then you would still have the issue of it being off balance if available for some hotels and not others.

Universal has discussed this as an overall system in countless surveys over the years and from tests and wording in how they put this forward both at VB and now Fallon it really seems like they want to transition to this system. I don't think it's going to happen overnight. I think Fallon will open with it, they may decide to keep it at Minions and Shrek and then slowly add other attractions.
I think it will ultimately end up at the attractions with queue issues like Pter. Flyers, DM, maybe Shrek. Maybe some shows. I don't think it's really feasible for the entire resort. Kind of reminds me of that q bot system, and that was a pay to play like Express, only a lower rate. Or, it becomes a pay to play system like Express....I just can't see it as a free system for the entire park system. It would make for a pretty inflexible day, make the park too Disney planning like, and cost too much financially by eliminating the need to purchase Express.

Reactions: awhen and Mike S

My gut tells me that they're going to eventually build another luxury-tier resort that includes Express and remove Express from Royal Pacific at that time. They already categorize it the same as Sapphire Falls, so I can't imagine that they don't want to keep the benefits the same for both resorts. I think they would much rather market the Express benefit to families rather than convention groups. Convention guests may or may not buy park tickets while they're here, and if they do it's probably only typically for a day, and you've only got one or two guests per room, then, whereas at the non-convention-oriented resorts you're going to have more rooms with an average of four or five people mostly buying three or four day tickets. Plus, there are 1,000 rooms at Royal Pacific, but only 750 at Portofino Bay and 650 at Hard Rock, so they could build another couple of luxury resorts with 500-750 rooms each (probably down at Site B), remove Express from Royal Pacific, and you wouldn't be adding that much more strain on the Express system. And maybe the addition of the Site B park would actually ease things a little with 2400-2900 resort Express guests spread out across two parks instead of three. As for the potential customer service issue with removing Express from Royal Pacific, I really don't think they care about that, especially if they adjusted the rates accordingly.

My gut tells me that they're going to eventually build another luxury-tier resort that includes Express and remove Express from Royal Pacific at that time. They already categorize it the same as Sapphire Falls, so I can't imagine that they don't want to keep the benefits the same for both resorts. I think they would much rather market the Express benefit to families rather than convention groups. Convention guests may or may not buy park tickets while they're here, and if they do it's probably only typically for a day, and you've only got one or two guests per room, then, whereas at the non-convention-oriented resorts you're going to have more rooms with an average of four or five people mostly buying three or four day tickets. Plus, there are 1,000 rooms at Royal Pacific, but only 750 at Portofino Bay and 650 at Hard Rock, so they could build another couple of luxury resorts with 500-750 rooms each (probably down at Site B), remove Express from Royal Pacific, and you wouldn't be adding that much more strain on the Express system. And maybe the addition of the Site B park would actually ease things a little with 2400-2900 resort Express guests spread out across two parks instead of three. As for the potential customer service issue with removing Express from Royal Pacific, I really don't think they care about that, especially if they adjusted the rates accordingly.
I agree. I hold that same assessment. Having stayed at both Royal Pacific & Sapphire, I see little difference between the resorts, except Royal Pacific costs a lot more than Sapphire mainly due to Express. In fact, if there were no express at RP, I would choose Sapphire if the room costs were equal. I could easily see a new luxury hotel being added to Express and Royal Pacific losing the Express.

I think it will ultimately end up at the attractions with queue issues like Pter. Flyers, DM, maybe Shrek. Maybe some shows. I don't think it's really feasible for the entire resort. Kind of reminds me of that q bot system, and that was a pay to play like Express, only a lower rate. Or, it becomes a pay to play system like Express....I just can't see it as a free system for the entire park system. It would make for a pretty inflexible day, make the park too Disney planning like, and cost too much financially by eliminating the need to purchase Express.
VQ is really no different than a standard queue the waiting still takes place just not physically in line. With Express theres no wait at all. Express could easily still be used on top of VQ.

I don't think this will branch out to existing rides. Fallon had been described as having large interactive areas and a museum to meander around while waiting. If, for example, Simpsons got this where would the people go? The land is packed as is and the massive amount of queues will go unused.

That's the fundamental issue certain people in the community/on Twitter/might be known for drinking at theme parks don't fundamentally understand. A virtual queue does not remove waiting, it just makes you wait in an area not designed for it.

I don't think this will branch out to existing rides. Fallon had been described as having large interactive areas and a museum to meander around while waiting. If, for example, Simpsons got this where would the people go? The land is packed as is and the massive amount of queues will go unused.

That's the fundamental issue certain people in the community/on Twitter/might be known for drinking at theme parks don't fundamentally understand. A virtual queue does not remove waiting, it just makes you wait in an area not designed for it.
I strongly agree with you on this. And you gotta love Universal queues. Many of them are as good as the rides. They would just be throwing that huge plus advantage away for no good reason. And IOA, which only has narrow pathways, would just be jammed with shoulder to shoulder people, like Diagon & the Simpsons area already is....This is a real blown out of proportion concept. It'll be minor, not major.

Reactions: Mike S
I strongly agree with you on this. And you gotta love Universal queues. Many of them are as good as the rides. They would just be throwing that huge plus advantage away for no good reason. And IOA, which only has narrow pathways, would just be jammed with shoulder to shoulder people, like Diagon & the Simpsons area already is....This is a real blown out of proportion concept. It'll be minor, not major.
Speaking about IOA's narrow paths. I expected them o build Potter and Kong with larger paths for the future, but they didn't.