Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 245 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk, I think AR/VR, while drastically different, are going to have to be implemented at a high level (aka Disney or Universal) at some point, and this give us the closest thing to reality Imo for a realistic flying broom attraction, and same with MK for Augmented reality, it makes sense to me if the technology works the way it seems.

Im not like, 100% sold, but boy am I just beyond intrigued.
I will say, it sounds like a tremendous amount of testing and R&D has been done for both AR and VR by Universal. (A look at their patents over the past 5+ years backs that up.) From the sound of it, they cracked it for Mario Kart, so there’s no doubt that if they went for VR, they be able to nail that too.

Idk, I think AR/VR, while drastically different, are going to have to be implemented at a high level (aka Disney or Universal) at some point, and this give us the closest thing to reality Imo for a realistic flying broom attraction, and same with MK for Augmented reality, it makes sense to me if the technology works the way it seems.

Im not like, 100% sold, but boy am I just beyond intrigued.

Flight of Passage, for all its limitations, is a far better ride system for a broom ride.

But IMO, if the *only* way an attraction can work is by strapping a reality breaking VR headset on, it's a bad idea.

Flight of Passage, for all its limitations, is a far better ride system for a broom ride.

But IMO, if the *only* way an attraction can work is by strapping a reality breaking VR headset on, it's a bad idea.
I think the difference here, is that you can’t control where you go on Flight of Passage. Even if limited like Smugglers Run, the idea for this is that *you* get to fly on a broomstick. Not be flown on one.

Forbidden Journey is a flying passive experience, whereas this concept is meant to be one where you have agency and can control your ride.

Do you want "Flight of Wizardy (idk)?", this makes it much more unique. I don't need 3 similar Soarin' type ride systems across Orlando, Im glad they're at least willing to test new waters here and go for something different and unique to itself.

Also, as mentioned in the video, the VR will certainly make it personal, but also I feel same with the AR. It really makes it your own experience, thats going to be a big difference maker especially since they're interactive.

I think the difference here, is that you can’t control where you go on Flight of Passage. Even if limited like Smugglers Run, the idea for this is that *you* get to fly on a broomstick. Not be flown on one.

Forbidden Journey is a flying passive experience, whereas this concept is meant to be one where you have agency and can control your ride.
Again. considering how *bad* something like Smuggler's Run turned out to be, I'm not convinced that there's a argument to be made for that high level of interactivity turning out well.

Do you want "Flight of Wizardy (idk)?", this makes it much more unique. I don't need 3 similar Soarin' type ride systems across Orlando, Im glad they're at least willing to test new waters here and go for something different and unique to itself.

Also, as mentioned in the video, the VR will certainly make it personal, but also I feel same with the AR. It really makes it your own experience, thats going to be a big difference maker especially since they're interactive.
I'd much rather have Flight of the Wizard than Harry Potter: Seeker's Run, for sure. Both are bad choices, but Flight of Passage clears the very low bar of being a coherent experience, which Smuggler's Run is not.

I don't really care about "my own experience". I go to theme parks for shared experiences.

Again. considering how *bad* something like Smuggler's Run turned out to be, I'm not convinced that there's a argument to be made for that high level of interactivity turning out well.

I'd much rather have Flight of the Wizard than Harry Potter: Seeker's Run, for sure. Both are bad choices, but Flight of Passage clears the very low bar of being a coherent experience, which Smuggler's Run is not.

I don't really care about "my own experience". I go to theme parks for shared experiences.
Well, these aren’t the same people designing Smuggler’s Run and it’s different tech so I’d give it a chance. I think the comparison is likely more true than not, but this to me sounds like the better experience.

Haven’t done Smuggler’s Run but with the ST/Animated characters I don’t know characters it’s a tiny bit disconnecting already from my view but the concept seems fun, not worth a 3 hour Disney wait though.

You have to know I’m using Smugglers Run to illustrate certain specific aspects, not as a comparison for this attraction’s overall experience.

This would be a new type of ride experience. It would be something different for a major theme park. I’m intrigued that Universal is looking at ways to continue to push boundaries in their parks. But just like Forbidden Journey was both revolutionary for the industry, but also not a ride experience suitable for all people, this could be too.

It doesn’t have to appeal to everyone. Not all attractions need to.

You have know I’m using Smugglers Run to illustrate certain specific aspects, not as a comparison for this attraction’s overall experience.

This would be a new type of ride experience. It would be something different for a major theme park. I’m intrigued that Universal is looking at ways to continue to push boundaries in their parks. But just like Forbidden Journey was both revolutionary for the industry, but also not a ride experience suitable for all people, this could be too.

Yeah this more echoes my feeling, new things!!!

You have to know I’m using Smugglers Run to illustrate certain specific aspects, not as a comparison for this attraction’s overall experience.

I think it sounds neat but of course it all depends on the execution. I have faith in Universal. Also Alicia, you did a good job explaining how the Twilight ride works. I hadn't really understood the difference between it and other VR experiences till I saw your video.

I think it sounds neat but of course it all depends on the execution. I have faith in Universal. Also Alicia, you did a good job explaining how the Twilight ride works. I hadn't really understood the difference between it and other VR experiences till I saw your video.
Thanks, Thinkwell Group and the team seemed to have pulled off the impossible and may have paved the way for the future for VR. Being able to experience a VR attraction together with a group of others, similar to something like The Void, but without the prep time needed, and in a general theme park setting, is pretty impressive.

EDIT: The way they tell a story that has you start as a group, and then makes it seem as though you're the last one left by the end is kind of brilliant too:

thinkwell.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: shiekra38

Sure, I just think "Put on this VR headset" is just the bottom of the bottom of the barrel for a ride idea. People can play VR in their homes now. It's just not all that "special" IMO

Reactions: La2kw and belloq87
Sure, I just think "Put on this VR headset" is just the bottom of the bottom of the barrel for a ride idea. People can play VR in their homes now. It's just not all that "special" IMO
Yup, that's what I don't like about it either. Unless it would make thematic sense to be putting on a headset. Where's the Ready Player One ride at? :lol:

Maybe I'm "buying in" but I feel this is the type of high tech VR they don't sell for at home use.

The loading stuff is so cool though, god I waited like 3 hours for Superman at Six Flags NE, not worth it lol. If things run smoothly then I think this is a good idea.

It's all stuff that's possible with current at-home units. I think the Twilight ride just uses the HTC Vive
Does the Vive come with a motion base motorcycle?

I do see your point though, but not every at home VR experience can be experienced with others, and is good. I would hope a Wizarding World ride would be good, as I have enjoyed them all so far. An enjoyable experience matters more to me than the tech.

It's all stuff that's possible with current at-home units. I think the Twilight ride just uses the HTC Vive
I was gonna say I do not have a ride vehicle or a wand, nor am coming directly from the French Ministry before I ride. I hear your point but I need to see this in practice before writing it off, I frankly don’t imagine this is that “cheap” and I see your point with that but maybe it’s more enhanced, plus I can shout spells and have zero judgement.

Reactions: Michael S
Does the Vive come with a motion base motorcycle?

I do see your point though, but not every at home VR experience can be experienced with others, and is good. I would hope a Wizarding World ride would be good, as I have enjoyed them all so far. An enjoyable experience matters more to me than the tech.
I just don’t see a seat that jostles you around a bit while you play a multiplayer VR game to be all that special. I hope it’s good, but it sounds like something for a second rate entertainment district like DisneyQuest, not UOR’s brand new theme park.

Call me when I can get a VR Quidditch match that lets me feel the thrill of smacking a Bludger.

But really, this seems... intriguing. I haven't ridden Flight of Passage yet, so I'm at a loss in terms of expectations. Hope for the best, I suppose.

I hope this one goes back to the drawing board, or at least gets tested out in a better manner than as a premiere ride, using a premiere IP, in a new premiere park. VR , to me, sounds/feels cheap, like when the power glove first came out, "this is awesome!", then not so much. Or when 3D tv had another emergence, "This is the best thing ever", then yawn...

I just cant imagine that Uni heard the call of many a theme park goer tired of SCREENZ and said "Hold my beer!"

If anything, Uni would definitely have their hands full with PR/Marketing convincing the GP that this truly is better than what you can get or do at home.

Reactions: belloq87
I just don’t see a seat that jostles you around a bit while you play a multiplayer VR game to be all that special. I hope it’s good, but it sounds like something for a second rate entertainment district like DisneyQuest, not UOR’s brand new theme park.
When it comes to Potter I beyond trust them to make this feel like something that belongs where it is. Don’t think it would happen if not frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.