Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also fine with VR and screens, though I'm confused as to what most people's boundaries are. For example, Spiderman (my favorite ride of all time) heavily utilizes screens. Are the sets/physical elements in that ride enough to sate most anti-screenz people? Not trying to debate anything, just curious. I'd be very happy with a Monsters ride that has the same balance Spidey does, for example.

For me, it’s movement within a physical space. I haven’t seen MMRR or Sw:RotR in person, but those seem like next gen dark rides, just like Spider-Man was back when IOA first opened. All of these involve movement around physical sets that immerse riders with new technology.

VR, however, implies video headsets where everything is digital and no physical sets. So, no issue with using new tech, but a fully VR ride experience sounds boring to me because it’ll lack real sets.

Cool to hear about the queue and pre show. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see what the VR portion is like.

Spider-Man is great on its own, (still my favorite Universal ride,) but like @PerceptiveCoot said, it’s when all the rides in a park are screen-heavy, like USF has gotten in recent years, it starts to feel imbalanced.
Ah, that makes perfect sense. Balance is important. I love JPRA, but I wish we had a Universal version of the original Journey to Atlantis with all the effects on and a more functional story, for example.

Spider-Man is great on its own, (still my favorite Universal ride,) but like @PerceptiveCoot said, it’s when all the rides in a park are screen-heavy, like USF has gotten in recent years, it starts to feel imbalanced.
DHS is a park that needs to be careful moving forward is it may end up feeling overly screen heavy if they aren't careful. They don't need to worry though because their defense against that is going to be to not build any rides in the park for about 8 years or so.

DHS is a park that needs to be careful moving forward is it may end up feeling overly screen heavy if they aren't careful. They don't need to worry though because their defense against that is going to be to not build any rides in the park for about 8 years or so.
Nah Chapek will tell us to go F ourselves and shut down all the existing rides and make them different Mickey shorts theatre’s.

I was thinking today about how this new AR tech from MK could be used to throw Pokeballs at Pokemon, catch ghosts in Luigi's Mansion,

and potentially used on an indoor coaster someday

I think the invention is far more important than people are talking about

I was thinking today about how this new AR tech from MK could be used to throw Pokeballs at Pokemon, catch ghosts in Luigi's Mansion,

Yeah the fact AR is potentially more heavy on MK has oddly made me even more intrigued, as I said, the blend of screen and set is literally happening with AR, all happening at once. That’s WILD.

VR at Universal in a Potter land I don’t have doubts on. If they were opening a VR Fast and Furious ride? More worried. WB approved it, nothing from the wizarding world has disappointed me imo (just mine) so I couldn’t be less worried.

That would be truly AMAZING. I can totally see that being the future. Hopefully they'll include a Luigi's Mansion dark ride. I don't see why not, honestly.

They don't need AR for that.....Space Fantasy in Japan uses your arm movements to collect star dust so you can revive a dying star. So while you ride you are suppose to use your hands to collect dust and it is showcased on the screens next to you as your pass by.

I'm also fine with VR and screens, though I'm confused as to what most people's boundaries are. For example, Spiderman (my favorite ride of all time) heavily utilizes screens. Are the sets/physical elements in that ride enough to sate most anti-screenz people? Not trying to debate anything, just curious. I'd be very happy with a Monsters ride that has the same balance Spidey does, for example.
I'm fine with a Spider-Man type ride in every land (not really, but you get what I'm saying).

I just find the "put a vr headset on and get jostled around a bit" concept super cheesy and unimaginative

I still hope we get some practical sets in MK of course. But everything that we’ve actually seen about the land (which is everything outside the MK ride itself) has me tickled.

So I'm home and done with dinner so I want to type out my VR ride thoughts.

I'm ok with VR as an application in an attraction but it must use VR's strength: conveying infinite in a finite space. VR coasters never made sense to me because you're taking what's effectively a huge space with large vistas and constraining it. VR offering in a small room can work, BGW Battle for Eire is kinda a fart because it's just a regular motion platform but they can close in the space more without worries of projection equipment.

So, here's my concept for the Potter VR (PVR for short) attraction. I think it does some cool stuff and will leave people impressed. Also to anyone at UC or ThinkWell, this is all my concept if I get it close to anything then hire me. I first heard of PVR from Alicia yesterday so...

We're in the Ministry of Magic Atrium with dozens of agencies, shops, restaurants, and sights to see. We've already visited the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, so time to head to the Department of Magical Transportation. We walk through the department's lobby and past doors for the Appirition Test Centre, Port Key Office and head specifically for the office Broom Regulatory Control. Here we make our way through the offices, stacked with application documentation, prototype brooms, and signed Quidding paraphernalia.

We walk into the back of the offices, towards large bookshelves filled with hundreds of years of records. A department liaison leads us into a marked door, "Broom Certification and Testing", in groups of 48. Inside we are greeted by a Witch and Wizard (live actors would be cool here) who inform us this is the location for the certification of broom usage for those who do not train a wizarding school. We are here for observation and to pass our Broom License Test. After some comical banter and explanation, one of the wizards notes that in the next room we will receive our helmet and follow Department officials instructions on proper wearing.

In the next room, we are split into two groups of 24. We are handed safety helmets similar to the Mario hats for Mario Kart and and instructed to properly wear them. At this point another door opens and we head down a hallway and onto stickers: each sticker is for one guest and will represent a Testing Broom. Here we are given our instructions: fly towards the objects listed and try not to cause any mischief. Soon one group of 24 is let into the testing area, think a brick lined room with a large opening in the roof where a little light and a slight breeze is coming through, and board their broom and place their VR helmet on. In our visors we see the exact same room with fellow witches and wizards around us!

Soon, we are off, by pulling up and we fly out of the room through the opening up top. Our original goal of flying through magical shapes ends as Something Goes Wrong and we are dragged into *waves arms* something crazy and magical where we meet some characters and have fun. We're holding on for dear life and soon we are saved by good guys. They quicly realize we're there for our license and tell us we did well enough they don't see why the ministry wouldn't give us our license. We land in a totally different location than where we started only to remove our helmets and find WE'VE BEEN MOVED TO THIS NEW LOCATION! Turns out the brooms are on a CoP like turntable with multiple sets of 24. We leave our landing area and walk through some hallways and find ourselves in a shop selling the most popular brooms and Quiddich fan merch around.

Ta-da. You got my address, send the check in the mail.

So I'm home and done with dinner so I want to type out my VR ride thoughts.

I'm ok with VR as an application in an attraction but it must use VR's strength: conveying infinite in a finite space. VR coasters never made sense to me because you're taking what's effectively a huge space with large vistas and constraining it. VR offering in a small room can work, BGW Battle for Eire is kinda a fart because it's just a regular motion platform but they can close in the space more without worries of projection equipment.

So, here's my concept for the Potter VR (PVR for short) attraction. I think it does some cool stuff and will leave people impressed. Also to anyone at UC or ThinkWell, this is all my concept if I get it close to anything then hire me. I first heard of PVR from Alicia yesterday so...

We're in the Ministry of Magic Atrium with dozens of agencies, shops, restaurants, and sights to see. We've already visited the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, so time to head to the Department of Magical Transportation. We walk through the department's lobby and past doors for the Appirition Test Centre, Port Key Office and head specifically for the office Broom Regulatory Control. Here we make our way through the offices, stacked with application documentation, prototype brooms, and signed Quidding paraphernalia.

We walk into the back of the offices, towards large bookshelves filled with hundreds of years of records. A department liaison leads us into a marked door, "Broom Certification and Testing", in groups of 48. Inside we are greeted by a Witch and Wizard (live actors would be cool here) who inform us this is the location for the certification of broom usage for those who do not train a wizarding school. We are here for observation and to pass our Broom License Test. After some comical banter and explanation, one of the wizards notes that in the next room we will receive our helmet and follow Department officials instructions on proper wearing.

In the next room, we are split into two groups of 24. We are handed safety helmets similar to the Mario hats for Mario Kart and and instructed to properly wear them. At this point another door opens and we head down a hallway and onto stickers: each sticker is for one guest and will represent a Testing Broom. Here we are given our instructions: fly towards the objects listed and try not to cause any mischief. Soon one group of 24 is let into the testing area, think a brick lined room with a large opening in the roof where a little light and a slight breeze is coming through, and board their broom and place their VR helmet on. In our visors we see the exact same room with fellow witches and wizards around us!

Soon, we are off, by pulling up and we fly out of the room through the opening up top. Our original goal of flying through magical shapes ends as Something Goes Wrong and we are dragged into *waves arms* something crazy and magical where we meet some characters and have fun. We're holding on for dear life and soon we are saved by good guys. They quicly realize we're there for our license and tell us we did well enough they don't see why the ministry wouldn't give us our license. We land in a totally different location than where we started only to remove our helmets and find WE'VE BEEN MOVED TO THIS NEW LOCATION! Turns out the brooms are on a CoP like turntable with multiple sets of 24. We leave our landing area and walk through some hallways and find ourselves in a shop selling the most popular brooms and Quiddich fan merch around.

Ta-da. You got my address, send the check in the mail.
1610502804509.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.