Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My original premise was not to have people hang around, but come for a special Polynesian event in the evening, with buffets and a handful of rides open; primarily slides. Close the rivers and wave pool... so no one could become lost underwater. Finally, a big volcano show.

I think that's a really good idea. A buffet at the end of a long day of traipsing around, up and down stairs etc. sounds perfect.

I could apply this answer to many things about Volcano Bay, but what it really has going for it is that is within walking distance of 3 resort hotels. That is what differentiates it the most from the Disney parks which are all out in the boondocks and require bus or motor vehicle transportation. This is a resort amenity that should be easily accessible which is why I think it could have a chance at night.

I do like the idea of offering a luau or special effects show as well. Of course, this might be way off from anything actually planned for the park.

As for it being walking distance, yeah. That's going to be huge. As if it wasn't difficult enough to get into Cabana Bay already..

I could apply this answer to many things about Volcano Bay, but what it really has going for it is that is within walking distance of 3 resort hotels. That is what differentiates it the most from the Disney parks which are all out in the boondocks and require bus or motor vehicle transportation. This is a resort amenity that should be easily accessible which is why I think it could have a chance at night.

Assuming 80% occupancy for the year (which is a bit low for current UOR numbers), Volcano Bay will be within walking distance of 4.5 million guests each year.

Another thing I would love to see the park do (any UOR park actually) is find the largest non-sounding fireworks and yet do the booms on the ground with great speaker and sub woofers.

When I saw Avatar (sorry to mention it) at a very new theater in Orlando, the tree blasting scene jarred the hell out of me with exceptionally authentic concussive explosions in the theater that sounded and felt just like a massive fireworks show. They should be able to do that outside too.

Nearby homes won't hear it at all because it is on the ground.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Assuming 80% occupancy for the year (which is a bit low for current UOR numbers), Volcano Bay will be within walking distance of 4.5 million guests each year.

Roughly half of whom will be there at a time of year when rational tourists don't even consider water parks, and all of whom have a free* lazy river and pool at their disposal.

* Free to use, once you buy a tube.

Roughly half of whom will be there at a time of year when rational tourists don't even consider water parks, and all of whom have a free* lazy river and pool at their disposal.

* Free to use, once you buy a tube.
You do not have to buy a tube to use the lazy river.

If you did cut that 4.5 million guest number in half, you'd have 2.25 million guests. Chimelong water park was the highest attended water park last year with 2.17 million guests. Typhoon Lagoon was the highest attended water park in Orlando with 2.14 million. Just saying.

Edit: That was 2013 numbers. Sorry for the error.

You do not have to buy a tube to use the lazy river.

If you did cut that 4.5 million guest number in half, you'd have 2.25 million guests. Chimelong water park was the highest attended water park last year with 2.17 million guests. Typhoon Lagoon was the highest attended water park in Orlando with 2.14 million. Just saying.

I was never implying that everyone would go. Just that there will be millions of people living right next door to a bubbling, churning volcano. I don't see how that doesn't translate to a big amount of them walking next door to check it out.

I was never implying that everyone would go. Just that there will be millions of people living right next door to a bubbling, churning volcano. I don't see how that doesn't translate to a big amount of them walking next door to check it out.
I was backing you up. lol

That's the number with 3 of the hotels, not day guests, the other 2 hotels etc. Volcano Bay will be a huge success.

Volcano Bay would easily make me add an extra day if I were staying at Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls. It's so much nicer to just walk back to your hotel room after leaving the park, than getting in your car and driving.

I have no way of knowing how popular it would be at night and I have to assume IOA and USF should start keeping longer hours, but based on my family I really think we would love the option to visit in the evening.

We are FL resident pass holders, but we live just far enough away that we stay in Orlando whenever we plan a trip to any of Orlando's attractions. My wife and I do not last too long at a water park, so I just see it as something we would do from say 7 PM to 10 PM if they offered a decent price admission for evening hours. Since Cabana opened, all of our stays have been on-site, our daughter is way too young for the bars and although we always have a car, I tend to like to park and leave the car. We enjoy the mini golf and the restaurants, but w/ more rooms coming-meaning more guest, the more options the better!

I have no way of knowing how popular it would be at night and I have to assume IOA and USF should start keeping longer hours, but based on my family I really think we would love the option to visit in the evening.

We are FL resident pass holders, but we live just far enough away that we stay in Orlando whenever we plan a trip to any of Orlando's attractions. My wife and I do not last too long at a water park, so I just see it as something we would do from say 7 PM to 10 PM if they offered a decent price admission for evening hours. Since Cabana opened, all of our stays have been on-site, our daughter is way too young for the bars and although we always have a car, I tend to like to park and leave the car. We enjoy the mini golf and the restaurants, but w/ more rooms coming-meaning more guest, the more options the better!

Good point well made, with more and more resort guests, the onsite evening entertainment is much needed. Else the CSI and Titanic Experiences will see an increase in numbers!

Quite Frankly, Volcano Bay will survive because there will be a Volcano. A Volcano/Mountain is a wonder to many people in Florida (Like myself) because I've never seen one. What better way to use my imagination than at Universal?:clap:

Reactions: Mad Dog
Good point. A 50' mound of earth in Florida is like Everest. I understand the awe. :thumbsup:
Quite Frankly, Volcano Bay will survive because there will be a Volcano. A Volcano/Mountain is a wonder to many people in Florida (Like myself) because I've never seen one. What better way to use my imagination than at Universal?:clap:

Volcano Bay will turn UOR from a rushed add-on to a WDW vacation to an actual vacation destination on it's own. UOR will be a full 3-4 day stop. Many will add 1 day SeaWorld/Discovery Cove or I-Drive 360 over Disney to fill out the vacation.
Maybe someday, but I really don't think we've reached the point yet where "Many" people will vacation to Orlando and skip out on WDW entirely. It's still far too ingrained in society.

I can see 10-15+ years down the road that possibly being the case though... once todays kids/teens have grown up with Universal and are starting to have kids of their own.

Maybe someday, but I really don't think we've reached the point yet where "Many" people will vacation to Orlando and skip out on WDW entirely. It's still far too ingrained in society.

I can see 10-15+ years down the road that possibly being the case though... once todays kids/teens have grown up with Universal and are starting to have kids of their own.

Not directing this at you, but I often wonder where the believe comes from that UOR is mostly an add on to a WDW trip. I have not seen any facts one way or another. One thing I do have though is that we tend to visit UOR around once a quarter and we can tend to talk to folks in the queue or whatever to pass the time.

I have met a good number of folks the last few years from Europe that seem to book a package that includes two days at UOR, one or two days w/ Sea World/discovery cove/Aquadica and a day trip to Bush Gardens Tampa.

I know I see many folks w/ their Disney gear (including magic bands), but I have also met tourist that are not planing any Disney days.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Not directing this at you, but I often wonder where the believe comes from that UOR is mostly an add on to a WDW trip. I have not seen any facts one way or another. One thing I do have though is that we tend to visit UOR around once a quarter and we can tend to talk to folks in the queue or whatever to pass the time.

I have met a good number of folks the last few years from Europe that seem to book a package that includes two days at UOR, one or two days w/ Sea World/discovery cove/Aquadica and a day trip to Bush Gardens Tampa.

I know I see many folks w/ their Disney gear (including magic bands), but I have also met tourist that are not planing any Disney days.
During the accidental Kong announcement at the shareholders meeting, I believe Comcast said they thought they had around 20-25% of the market share, meaning Disney still has a very high majority. That's coming from the source itself.

While some people may take Uni/SW/I-Drive vacations, right now, they are in the minority. I'm not making anything up, it's facts.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I think we have to remember different types of tourists.

For me to me to make an 8 hour flight and spend that much money, I'd be stupid to not visit as many parks as possible and to stay for 14 nights.

You guys that are lucky enough to visit every quarter or more, are going to have a different vacation to us, often only visiting maybe one resort at a time. It's a bit like me saying I'll go to London for 4 nights, but there is no way in hell I could visit everything.

I am going this Sept for 2 weeks staying at Disney but Universal was always part of the plan, if I am going for 2 weeks it would be madness not to plan to head over to Universal at some point while I am there. Although next year I plan to do a week just at Universal just to try a different sort of holiday.

Reactions: Jon84
Status
Not open for further replies.