Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought on what Jungleskip said at the start of the thread

"As the sun goes down, the volcano will erupt as it does during the day, but this time it will be more powerful/violent. As the geyser erupts, this time it's "lava", not water. As it cascades down the mountain, it turns all the water in the park to "lava" (done with LED lighting and stuff like that). At this time the park's background music and effects change to match the new "dangerous" setting"

Could this tie in with the System and method for providing water park beach visual effects patent? At night the beach also becomes lava?

Teebin

Do any water parks stay open after dark or is that a no-no due to safety?

I am sure Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach used to offer evening EMH, so pretty sure they can open after dark.

Yeah, 10pm would make sense for a water park that serves alcohol.

Would closing at 5pm and reopening at 6PM for an upcharge festival, buffet and show work May thru Oct work at all? Fire dancers and volcanic super show closing at the end?

Was just wondering how to best screw more money out of guests and give both night and day a great product. :smiley: (btw, just a geeky musing and nothing I know of)

Reactions: Mad Dog

Wet 'n Wild regularly stays open after dark, Aquatica has often been open that late, too, and still has a Team Member night there after operating hours a couple of times a year, and even though Disney still has an inexplicable fixation on closing their water parks at five or six even during the damned summer, I know at least Typhoon Lagoon operates at night every once in a while for special events that have rented out the park, like Gay Days every year.

One thing I find interesting is that Universal is referring to this as a "water theme park" and their "3rd park". I wonder if they may include this in their park hopping? One of the big factors when comparing Disney vs. Universal is the value that Disney has. If a guests assumes 4 parks equals 4 days and buys a four day ticket their per day cost is much cheaper than Universal at 2 days. If they could use this to entice people to add a day to what they are already planning and save a little it could generate more hotel revenue.

For a waterpark to stay open late, they just have to have a certain number of lifeguards and the visibility to see the bottom of the pool which means higher electric bill and underwater lights.

For a waterpark to stay open late, they just have to have a certain number of lifeguards and the visibility to see the bottom of the pool which means higher electric bill and underwater lights.

I have a feeling this park is going to covered with a ton of LED lights, especially if the rumors about the water changing color during a nighttime eruption come true

Water Park + Open at Night + Alcohol = really bad idea

IMHO
Wet 'n Wild is open until 10 in the summer and alcohol is served there. I know BB and TL are normally around 8-ish and not sure on Aquatica. I do know that Adventure Island in Tampa does a "Island Nights" promotion every year and they stay open until 9 on those nights, with alcohol being served.

I meant as far as not having to get out of the tube, sort of like an endless lazy river that branches off to each slide. Schliterbahn does that a lot. BTW Wildebeest looks aweosme

^ I did something similar at Atlantis in the Bahamas, which was actually nice because it adds to the guest experience and automates the ride's capacity by using block sections on the slide (Disney also does this with their slides).

^ I did something similar at Atlantis in the Bahamas, which was actually nice because it adds to the guest experience and automates the ride's capacity by using block sections on the slide (Disney also does this with their slides).

You mean this below

Think we might see something like this system of lines like at the water park at Atlantis Paradise Island?

Only one that can not is Blizzard--Typhoon, Aquatica and Wet n Wild all could stay open all night if they wanted, and in fact Aquatica and WnW have built marketing campaigns around their late night hours in the past. Never been to WnW but I can say Aquatica's attempt was an unmitigated disaster, more staff than guests. It's one of the drawbacks of water parks, guests aren't conditioned to visit at night.

All that said, they are benefits to an erupting 200' volcano you get even if the park isn't open. As long as it doesn't disturb the neighbors like Mrs. Crabtree.

Status
Not open for further replies.