Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Water Park + Open at Night + Alcohol = really bad idea

IMHO
Do any water parks stay open after dark or is that a no-no due to safety?
Typhoid Lagoon, next week.

2013-05-31_orlando-onemagicalw-2572121234-O.jpg

Could you possibly clarify your intentions with this comment, please?

I can't speak for @Disneyhead, but from knowing his post around here, I took it as a reply to show that water parks can be operated during evening hours.

Personally, for Volcano Bay, I feel it would make sense for it to be designed to operate during nighttime hours.

I really feel, for a family such as mine, that this would be something to do at night (since City Walk is not an option when we are there with our daughter). I mean, we have done the mini golf and have eaten dinner at many of the restaurants their, this could just be another option during our visit which we might prefer to do after a day at the parks in the sun.

I really feel this park is being built to try and capture longer stays at the resort(s)

Reactions: Mad Dog
Could you possibly clarify your intentions with this comment, please?
Sorry for the confusion. "Typhoid Lagoon" is just a nickname that some locals and former cast members use for Typhoon Lagoon. I didn't even think about how it could be taken in the context of my post. And I truly didn't mean it as a negative slight towards Riptide.

My point was to show that the water parks do operate at night and they sell alcohol at the night events.

Reactions: graspthesun
Wasn't built with the proper lighting. I assume the higher-ups saw how little Typhoon was used at night, figured why bother?

Actually, it's not because the park was built without proper lighting. Waterparks are not open at night for one simple reason -- people like to go home when the sun goes down.

The WDW water parks are properly equipped for illumination/nighttime operation. There are special events at both parks at night. From a safety perspective, they couldn't possibly NOT have lighting at night. God forbid a child went missing, they can't just say "Welp, gotta wait until morning - we can't see anything!".

I am curious to see if Volcano Bay can bridge that gap between day and night. A great idea (which I believe was mentioned on the podcast) would be to have the Volcano "explode" and turn to lava at 7PM during the night, compelling people to hang around into the evening hours. But even with that, Universal will be hard-pressed to have people hang around once it gets dark, when you're waterlogged and sunstroked, and the air gets cooler. Personally, I would just want to put dry clothes on and go back to the hotel. :)

But even with that, Universal will be hard-pressed to have people hang around once it gets dark, when you're waterlogged and sunstroked, and the air gets cooler. Personally, I would just want to put dry clothes on and go back to the hotel. :)

My original premise was not to have people hang around, but come for a special Polynesian event in the evening, with buffets and a handful of rides open; primarily slides. Close the rivers and wave pool... so no one could become lost underwater. Finally, a big volcano show.

Perhaps it wouldn't be successful, that is why I posted it here for people to consider. Don't people pay extra for the special event at the Poly?

Reactions: Mad Dog
My original premise was not to have people hang around, but come for a special Polynesian event in the evening, with buffets and a handful of rides open; primarily slides. Close the rivers and wave pool... so no one could become lost underwater. Finally, a big volcano show.

Perhaps it wouldn't be successful, that is why I posted it here for people to consider. Don't people pay extra for the special event at the Poly?

You mean the luau? Royal Pacific actually does a luau so that might conflict a bit.

I like that idea, Teebin. I don't like the upcharge, however. I think it could work as both a wet and dry concept after hours.

Having a fire-based performance with actual Polynesian people of different cultures could enrich the experience of having a nighttime bar and one-time-fee buffet for those who want to dry off and stay in-tune with the theme. Those who can't get enough rides, or even those who want to keep riding stuff after their day at the parks has ended can continue to play at nighttime. Having that 7pm conversion with lighting effects could add to the aura of the rides as well. Interactive water features would really come alive with lights and sounds.

You mean the luau? Royal Pacific actually does a luau so that might conflict a bit.

Yeah, like that, but not as formal but just as expensive if not more for a really razzle dazzle show with a final sacrifice being offered from the balcony and in turn the volcano reacts. Pyro, smoke at ground level with strobe lightning, projection-mapping with the drums and fire guys down on stages below and in front of the wave pool. Think the thunder scene in Tiki Room.... only big with real people out doors. Now add dessert and cocktails for the guests at tables watching from the beach.

It would float my boat even if I had never visited a water park before.

Status
Not open for further replies.