Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say 265'.

However, I am looking at a document right now on Project 533 that specifically mentions elevations of 208', 250', and 298' in reference to a "structural steel frame."

Hmmm... ya got me there! I have no idea what those numbers mean. Is it possible to link the doc or post it here or is that not a NOC? If not, then you are wise not to do so.

Is it even possible that Comcast would have told Woodbury no on the 200' and insisted it be taller? That would seem like outrageous behavior right?

How out of theme would a glowy red thing at the top of a volcano be?

Couldn't they just theme the lights around the glowing red of the volcano to blend it in. I have no idea what regulations those lights have to abide by but that is what I would do in Rollercoaster tycoon :lmao:

Just read a little on the FAA regulations. in bold is particularity interesting but what are the odds of them pulling that off

AC 70/7460-1K - Obstruction Marking and Lighting – Document Information

"Any temporary or permanent structure, including all appurtenances, that exceeds an overall height of 200 feet (61m) above ground level (AGL) or exceeds any obstruction standard contained in 14 CFR part 77, should normally be marked and/or lighted. However, an FAA aeronautical study may reveal that the absence of marking and/or lighting will not impair aviation safety. Conversely, the object may present such an extraordinary hazard potential that higher standards may be recommended for increased conspicuity to ensure safety to air navigation. Normally outside commercial lighting is not considered sufficient reason to omit recommended marking and/or lighting. Recommendations on marking and/or lighting structures can vary depending on terrain features, weather patterns, geographic location, and in the case of wind turbines, number of structures and overall layout of design"

Last edited:
Hmmm... ya got me there! I have no idea what those numbers mean. Is it possible to link the doc or post it here or is that not a NOC? If not, then you are wise not to do so.

Is it even possible that Comcast would have told Woodbury no on the 200' and insisted it be taller? That would seem like outrageous behavior right?

Screenshot%202015-08-28%20at%207.47.31%20AM_zpsmt8covvp.png

Screenshot%202015-08-28%20at%207.50.05%20AM_zpspb7xxvzv.png

Web Permits Search

^ wow, thank you very much! I am baffled, so I sent it off to the internets to see if I can get clarification. It might be a long shot as I don't know anyone with hands on 533 at this time, but I know people who probably do.

Reactions: NJBrandon
Trust me Teebs, I was confused when I discovered that as well! I was thinking to myself, "What the heck is on the plans at 298' when the volcano was only supposed to be 200'?"

Ok... now Mr. Sand Hill really knows this stuff in this matter... but he seems to argue against himself in the end. I just thought I would share. I remain frustrated.

Sand Hill: Whats the land elevation there? Perhaps its taking that into account. So if the elevation at the site is 100' above MSL, then 298 is just shy of 200' tall.

Teebin (pushing back): Checked goog earth and it is 136' in that area. Hmmm.
Wow, do they do that? Draw plans based on sea level? I thought the FAA rules were based on 200' above any elevation.

Sand Hill (pushing back): It is based on 200' above the lowest point where a building starts. So if its 136 then that 298 is actually 162'. Usually though it is based on lowest level being 0'-0". Strange.

Reactions: anihilnation
So a set of blueprints would be based on sea level? I don't necessarily buy that. 298 feet up on a structure would have to mean 298' from the base of the structure. I don't see how it's logical to do it any other way.

I have seen it before in applications where they mention both structure height and total height including elevation. Average elevation of Orlando is 82ft (wikipedia).

So a set of blueprints would be based on sea level? I don't necessarily buy that. 298 feet up on a structure would have to mean 298' from the base of the structure. I don't see how it's logical to do it any other way.

I concur with a bit of reserve. I suppose I could call the building department and ask... Mr Crane might do a little extra poking for me.

I have seen it before in applications where they mention both structure height and total height including elevation. Average elevation of Orlando is 82ft (wikipedia).

So, you are agreeing with Mr. Crane? It just seems like such a mind bender to list things like that.

Reactions: anihilnation
I have to agree that usually elevation is measured from average grade. Could they be taking into account the depth of the footers underground? So the full height of the structure from the base (footer) to the top (instead of average grade to top)?

Considering so many helicopters fly around there, not to mention hospital helicopters, I don't see them being able to get an exception to the 200' light rule.

I think the general thought has been that this thing will be lit at the top, anyways, with glowing erupting lava, so it's entirely possible that they might be granted an exception due to that. This isn't like the Tower of Terror or Everest where it gets darker towards the top. Even if there might be a blinking red light at the top of the volcano, it might not necessarily detract from the illusion as much as it might have with those other attractions.

I think the general thought has been that this thing will be lit at the top, anyways, with glowing erupting lava, so it's entirely possible that they might be granted an exception due to that. This isn't like the Tower of Terror or Everest where it gets darker towards the top. Even if there might be a blinking red light at the top of the volcano, it might not necessarily detract from the illusion as much as it might have with those other attractions.
that makes sense. If that's the case (and I hope it is), I think we will still see a beacon installed as a safety backup so they will remain in regulation, should the glowing lava malfunction.

^ Well, to be honest, we are not entirely sure yet that the volcano will be taller than 200'. I too see the documents which give me pause, however, I am not 100% convinced that this is what those numbers mean. I do appreciate NJBrandon coming forward with them. Gives us a bit of drama to ponder. :)

^ Well, to be honest, we are not entirely sure yet that the volcano will be taller than 200'. I too see the documents which give me pause, however, I am not 100% convinced that this is what those numbers mean. I do appreciate NJBrandon coming forward with them. Gives us a bit of drama to ponder. :)

I agree! I suppose I'm just trying to point out that we're all so used to that 200-feet-come-hell-or-highwater rule, that maybe it's not necessarily out of the realm of possibility as much as our initial knee-jerk reactions would say. Universal does seem to delight in surprising everyone nowadays. But again, I don't know if it's likely that it's happening, just that it's maybe not as unlikely as we thought.

So, hardly scientific, but I grabbed a possible 6' person off the bridge on the left and added 2/3 of their height to them for 10' and then piled them up, keeping them on the same ground plane. The plane is way forward of the center of the volcano which gives me an inaccurate number unless I assume they are 75'-100' away from center. Way forward, I came up with roughly 150'. This means the volcano is taller than that.

Guessing such an angle of height that would create is sorta messy but I believe it would still be under or close to 200'.

I hope a few of you can follow my logic here. :)

VB_height_ex_zpsnkap66lv.jpg

Oh, and the guy I circled in the wave pool looked like the Pope in full garb to me... had to point that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.