Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't trust Unknown from OI as much as I used to....that being said, he/she has came out with the following information concerning Volcano Bay....

"Every one entering Volcano Bay will be given a device that will send you to the next ride so you don't have to stand in any lines."

"Volcano Bay will open with 10 or more attractions, including 2 slow moving lazy rivers which both will run through the volcano."

"You can also expect to see a "Rain Forest Bar" in the park which should be awesome for some specialty adult beverages while the little ones go play in the park."
That stuff might be right on since we've heard very similar info from Teebin & others in the past.

did anyone notice that concrete started going up I don't know if it's gonna be a Parking Garage or a small office for like Human Resource but I'll go and take a picture of it tomorrow since I live in Toscana and Volcano Bay sits Directly in front of my Subdivision towards Wallace Road

did anyone notice that concrete started going up I don't know if it's gonna be a Parking Garage or a small office for like Human Resource but I'll go and take a picture of it tomorrow since I live in Toscana and Volcano Bay sits Directly in front of my Subdivision towards Wallace Road

The one seen just to the left at the end of wallace intersecting with turkey is a water slide complex (it has tall columns going in). The one to the right, a bit further down is also a waterslide. Is there something newer in between that I have yet to see?

I think on a busy day it is the only way they could keep the lines small for the virtual to work. I could be wrong. On slower days I doubt it matters.
They could use to separate lines, regular and virtual queue.
In any case, when I go to aquatica I always go at park opening, stay an hour or two and leave, and never have to really wait for anything (though usually I don't go in the summer). I just dislike having to plan things and 'order' rides in advance. Then, I am not the typical waterpark guest lol

They could use to separate lines, regular and virtual queue.
In any case, when I go to aquatica I always go at park opening, stay an hour or two and leave, and never have to really wait for anything (though usually I don't go in the summer). I just dislike having to plan things and 'order' rides in advance. Then, I am not the typical waterpark guest lol

When Universal did a fast pass like system it was based on crowd levels. If it was less crowded passes were given out in higher quantities and more often. My guess is that this system will have something built in for crowd levels. The issue I see with an option is on crowded days no one is going to pick the non queue way. Stand by lines would be so long because of the amount of virtual queue people. For this virtual queue to work properly they would need pretty high ratios of virtual queue vs stand by. Now they could have two lines and based on crowd level either open or close stand by that day. But that might confuse people more. Who knows should be interesting and a good way to run a water park. That way people can enjoy the pool areas.

I see this working in a way experimented with over here. At Thorpe Park, Accesso were tasked with creating a virtual queueing system to create the worlds first queue-less park. Fundamentally it failed, not everyone understood what Reserve'n'Ride was trying to achieve, Thorpe doesn't have enough capacity eating rides for it to work. People thought it was a paid for system, people hate change. On the very first trial they did it on the 5 big coasters. Standby queues were to be closed with the only way to ride being through R'n'R, but by 11am the standby lines were opened as people were complaining (although the system itself was working, people were just refusing to use it basically). It was the standby lines that caused the system not to work. How it was designed to work was through the website/app you'd click "join queue" and it would put you in the virtual queue and give you a countdown. This would go down, freeze if the ride broke etc. But you wouldn't be in line so you could look in the shops, eat, do other rides etc. Was meant to be 80% R'n'R and 20% Fastrack which also ran through the same website. But with standby lines opened it was never able to be properly used, so standby got given about 20% of the throughput causing what would have been a normal 30 minute standby queue to be upwards of 2 hours. So reviews of the system were only good from the minority that used it.

Anyway, back to the point. If VB is built with this concept in mind, no standby queues, enough stuff to eat crowds like pools, rivers, bars, shops, beach areas then the virtual queueing will work. And if it's the only option from day one then people will have to use it (will probably be an easier system as well) and then they'll have a queue-less water park with no physical lines.

Water Parks - accesso

Reactions: Ryno27
The park would have to built with tons of extra capacity for this to work. Could you imagine USF or MK if they went all virtual queue and all of those people that normally would be in line were in the shops, restaurants, and pathways?

Reactions: SeventyOne
Everyone in the shops, restaurants and bars. That's the formula for making lot's of profit. That will be Universal's best money making move since the Hogwart's Express concept that comes close to ending the single park ticket. Universal knows what they're doing. Just another continuing concept to keep "per customer spending" levels high.

If the virtual queue/queue-less system works well in Volcano Bay could we perhaps see Universal implementing this in a potential future park? Or even in their current parks?

If the virtual queue/queue-less system works well in Volcano Bay could we perhaps see Universal implementing this in a potential future park? Or even in their current parks?

I don't think so. The reason it works in a water park is because there are a lot of non--queue things to do. In a normal park there is less. Could they do it on select rides or shows, sure, but park wide? Probably not.

Reactions: greendude33
I finally took a peek at how giant wave pools work. It was not as I expected it to be. (I am not sure this is how a blizzard beach or typhoon lagoon works but it seems logical that they do)

I start you at page three of the article as the previous pages are regarding kiddie gentle wave pools. Don't click the video links as none of them work:

Just Add Water - How Wave Pools Work
(3,4, and 5 are the most pertinent)

I seen this earlier on Reddit, thought you might get a kick out of it.

OgJNPQt.gif

I see this working in a way experimented with over here. At Thorpe Park, Accesso were tasked with creating a virtual queueing system to create the worlds first queue-less park. Fundamentally it failed, not everyone understood what Reserve'n'Ride was trying to achieve, Thorpe doesn't have enough capacity eating rides for it to work. People thought it was a paid for system, people hate change. On the very first trial they did it on the 5 big coasters. Standby queues were to be closed with the only way to ride being through R'n'R, but by 11am the standby lines were opened as people were complaining (although the system itself was working, people were just refusing to use it basically). It was the standby lines that caused the system not to work. How it was designed to work was through the website/app you'd click "join queue" and it would put you in the virtual queue and give you a countdown. This would go down, freeze if the ride broke etc. But you wouldn't be in line so you could look in the shops, eat, do other rides etc. Was meant to be 80% R'n'R and 20% Fastrack which also ran through the same website. But with standby lines opened it was never able to be properly used, so standby got given about 20% of the throughput causing what would have been a normal 30 minute standby queue to be upwards of 2 hours. So reviews of the system were only good from the minority that used it.

Anyway, back to the point. If VB is built with this concept in mind, no standby queues, enough stuff to eat crowds like pools, rivers, bars, shops, beach areas then the virtual queueing will work. And if it's the only option from day one then people will have to use it (will probably be an easier system as well) and then they'll have a queue-less water park with no physical lines.

Water Parks - accesso

Is this a system similar to what Six Flags uses for their flash pass?

Reactions: Ryno27
Explanation which I outlined because someone once had an issue with me talking about unspecified details.

Original photo from @bioreconstruct
VB_foundation_zpsewep00ed.jpg

pink = wave pool return pipes
blue arrow = holding tanks and filters/pumps
green = wave creation drop vents
purple = not a clue except maybe foundations for the volcano?
yellow = stupid oversized ferris wheel

I'm starting to struggle to visualise just how big this volcano is going to be. Is it going to be over 200ft?

I've been reading about Expedition Everest which according to wikipedia is the tallest artificial mountain in the world so I imagine this is going to be about the same size which is kind of blowing my mind. The coaster track isn't attached to the mountain, will something similar to be used for the water slides on the volcano?

Also, if you look at the artwork there is a slide very near the top, would this be the world's tallest water slide?

Status
Not open for further replies.