Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 237 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry as this has probably already been discussed, but what is that big dome again?

It is the dome from the films that the dragon breaks through. At Uni, the dome will be seen from the interior of the building only.

Gringotts_Dragon_banner_harry_potter7.jpg

Anybody know if or when we might see the lion head installed on the waterside of the embankment? That's a detail I'm really looking forward to for some reason.

The absence of the larger dome from the outside seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to me. Value-engineered out perhaps? Oh well.

The absence of the larger dome from the outside seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to me. Value-engineered out perhaps? Oh well.

You wouldn't be able to see it from inside or outside Diagon, IMO. So it's unnecessary

EDIT: I should probably look at the last page before replying. Still, you're not supposed to see Diagon from the Muggle world. So we'll see how this turns out

Last edited:

You wouldn't be able to see it from inside Diagon. So not really value-engineered but rather not visible from the ground. As far as being able to see it from across the lagoon, I'm not sure how that would help the Springfield or Central Park theme to be able to see it.

I'm guessing it is going to stay that way. Look at FJ, you can see the show building while in the regular queue when you are in the greenhouse area.

Yeah, it doesn't really bother me. I guess when the building first went up, I just assumed that elevated portion would have a dome on the outside. Seeing it from across the park doesn't bother me too much since it won't be visible from London/Diagon.

By the same logic, I think it's okay that we will probably be able to see the dragon and chimneys from across the lagoon, i.e. Springfield, Battery Park, etc. In those areas of the park, we haven't yet stepped in the narrative that Diagon Alley is completely hidden from the outside world.

They're already breaking all the theme park rules to stay true to the fiction and have the land fully hidden behind facades. I won't fault them for having something that says from across the park, "Hey, look over here!"

The only thing that worries me in terms of visible infrastructure is the giant tan wall and ducting of Platform 9 3/4 behind King's Cross. And I hope it won't be visible through the window from within King's Cross, but it definitely seems like it will be from the waterfront. I would have suggested that they use frosted glass in the back window of King's Cross to obscure it.

100_7321.jpg

Regarding this piece...

jbyqPFa4JavOgF.JPG

I sent this image to friends in the biz today and stated that I thought the execution was beyond reproach. I stated that no theme park reproduces museum quality neoclassical art to this sophistication. So, I awaited a reply from these people who had not yet seen it (because they are busy building other pretty things). They were equally awed and wrote back with their own flattering and very specific observations on the execution.

So, that is just my perspective.

Regarding this piece...

jbyqPFa4JavOgF.JPG

I sent this image to friends in the biz today and stated that I thought the execution was beyond reproach. I stated that no theme park reproduces museum quality neoclassical art to this sophistication. So, I awaited a reply from these people who had not yet seen it (because they are busy building other pretty things). They were equally awed and wrote back with their own flattering and very specific observations on the execution.

So, that is just my perspective.

Very well put. To my untrained eye, that does, indeed, look like a museum quality reproduction. I'm eager to hear how it was accomplished.

Last edited:
Lots of exciting stuff! Sorry about the delay, work let me out very late tonight.

Alright, let's get down to business.

First and foremost, costumes. There are a few that have been described to me by certain sources, and all of them appear to be quite excited with the outcome. For Borgin & Burkes, the costumes are as dark as the literature calls. For men, a very nice criss-cross laced top, black boots and pants, and a very nice cloak, all of which will be crowned with a top hat. For women, a similar costume ensues, but with a Stevie-Nicks-esque shawl and a witch's hat. Florean Fortescue's and Madam Malkin's will be sharing a very floral and ornate getup, with presumably less features on the ice cream shop's costume due to food safety standards. As for Gringotts Bank, an almost pleather vest with a nice tie will compliment the slacks, and the vest will rest on a white shirt.

In addition, the spell system with the interactive wands is not just one in which aspiring witches and wizards will be guided to locations with distinguishable marks. A lot of easter eggs will be told to the employees in the area, and therefore the only way to gain knowledge of certain spells will be to speak to the TMs. However, from what I've been told, the TMs will be instigating the spells, so they'll tell guests that if 'they were real wizards/witches/magic folk, they'd be able to perform the right spell to make a certain action happen'. It won't be as guided as it is in Ollivanders. I've also been told that Bluetooth is incorporated into the design of the wands, and there is more confirmation of a kinect-type system being used alongside it.

In a less exciting note, the amount of team leaders assigned for each location is VERY high (these TMs are not managers, but rather supervisors). I'm hearing 15 TLs for EACH of the train stations, and around 18 for Gringotts. Universal is READY for angry guests and the masses. They will definitely not be making any mistakes this time around.

And I know everyone is super antsy regarding softs. Do not worry, they are coming, and pretty damn soon. Universal wants to give the area as much exposure to guests as possible. I can't give specific dates, but there is something planned for certain TMs on the 25th, so expect them to be a short while afterwards.

I'd like to give out more information, but this is all I can say for now. There is MUCH more artistry and preplanning this time around. And another thing: expect the Wizarding World to continue in its growth, but I guess that's not really any news. :thumbs:

P.S. I hope you're ready to finally use wizard currency. And Gringotts seems to be more and more accepting of muggles opening their own bank accounts there...

Stingy goblins.

Reactions: Felipe and Jenstar
Status
Not open for further replies.