Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 398 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not ready to talk about more Harry Potter yet. :lol: Is anyone riding Gringotts today?

So if anyone was worried about capacity for HE @skubersky wrote:

3 cars per train, 7 rooms per car, 8 people per cabin, 4 minute ride time.

21 rooms x 8 = 168 on each train, which means 336 people are riding the train any time its on the track. Giving at least a minute for load and unload each way, you're looking at around a 4000 an hour capacity for this ride. Not a bad number if you ask me.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anybody know if the Fishy Green Ale is really alcohol or is that just part of the name?

Just in name, its a very kid friendly drink.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if they are selling the gryffindor lion hat, that Luna wears. Or something similar to that.

Never seen it sold, but could be a pretty cool niche product.

Speaking of which, did you guys see that the sweaters with the "H" and "R" that Mrs Weasley made for them is going for $85!?! :stunned:

Is the platform 9 3/4 effect only visible to people standing in line? Or does the effect work when you walk through it too? Haven't seen this answered yet.

Also, I heard Gringotts spins. How much spinning is there? Is it a bad ride for people with motion sickness?

No one has really addressed either one as of yet tbh, but I honestly think the effect is only visible to those in line, and the spinning isn't too bad, maybe the Mummy turntable x Cat in the Hat type of spinning I think?

Iv'e been wanting to know this for months, peppers ghost is the obvious but is it really that simple?

I bet Teebin can give us the heads up.

I don't know their precise setup for this. In the old days it would have been done with a gradient smoked clear glass, the gradient being where one fades away. So yeah, a Peppers of sorts. Today they could probably do a live musion projection with a digital transparent gradient combined. In person, musion would look very flat to two eyes. If the old style, it would be quite deceptive because your two eyes would perceive the 3 dimensions a reflection provides.

If it does in fact work like that then prepare to have some really bright lights hitting you as you walk into the effect... otherwise, you would have a haunted mansion thing going on. Unless they used the special glass that has been suggested as being used Seas with Nemo. I guess it is ultra reflective or something.

Ok, so I just can't figure it out - how does the 9 3/4 wall effect work?!

*SPOILER/"HOW-IT'S-DONE" WARNING*

From the several videos I've seen, it's definitely a Pepper's Ghost effect. It looks as though you are actually looking at a reflection of the barrier that aligns with the upper portion of the barrier above the mirror. Then you see the people THROUGH the mirror and when they pass into shadow, it looks at though they have disappeared into the brick wall. Simple, but surprisingly effective.

Is the platform 9 3/4 effect only visible to people standing in line? Or does the effect work when you walk through it too? Haven't seen this answered yet.

Also, I heard Gringotts spins. How much spinning is there? Is it a bad ride for people with motion sickness?

You only see the effect on the people in front of you in the line, you view it from one room as the people in front in the next section go through. There wasn't someone there that stopped you so it was individual but maybe for the GP there will be. When you go to walk through it's just a regular opening into a hallway.

The spinning really isn't that bad, the same kind of spinning on Transformers etc. And only in like 2 scenes.

Space made by building the parking garage behind Diagon ?

Im not sure this is plausible...the TM parking garage simply accomodates the new TMs hired for Diagon and TF, not add space. That lot still gets full from what I heard. Someone even told me the garage and surrounding lot was full when Jimmy Fallon was around

Here's the HE webcast from today. Warning: It shows pretty much the entire ride video from Hogsmeade to London.

Also, it looks as though they've moved tomorrow's webcast from 3pm to noon.

[video=youtube;HJYTEcJxHUI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJYTEcJxHUI[/video]

Im not sure this is plausible...the TM parking garage simply accomodates the new TMs hired for Diagon and TF, not add space. That lot still gets full from what I heard. Someone even told me the garage and surrounding lot was full when Jimmy Fallon was around

Granted, I was spit balling more than anything.

Last comment on phase 3, promise, then I will be back OT. I remember Disneyhead calling Jaws for phase 2 around this time of Phase 1, any news Dave?

The picture, videos and updates have been amazing many thanks to all who have contributed. It is amazing to see OU forums all abuzz again, I remember 2010 and trying to keep up to date on here was nigh impossible. The next few weeks should be fun :thumbs:

LOL, I actually watched that video last night late and was so tired that I just kinda mumbled "that must be the trick" and let the video keep running. Ah... light and then shadow is the gradient I was talking about. I figured the effect would need a 45 degree reflection such as that.

I think this may be my first post, but I've been an avid reader here since the construction of the original Wizarding World. Before this thread starts moving any faster I just wanted to break my silence to thank all those who have contributed construction photos, discussion, and most importantly insider information to this thread and many others; I absolutely love following projects like this, and when it comes to Universal no other site compares. A special thank you to hatetofly for the incredibly accurate information and wonderfully detailed posts he has generously dedicated so much time to. I've been reading here for WWoHP, Simpsons, Transformers, and Diagon Alley - and I look forward to following the construction of Jurassic Park, Kong, and whatever else the future may bring!

To contribute; I've been to DisneySea several times, and while I maintain that it is the best themed park, from the reports and pictures I've seen over the past few days I honestly think that Diagon Alley is going to take the title of best themed land worldwide. The sheer density of the theming seems almost incomprehensible, and I can't wait to see it for myself this November.

Edit: Apparently this is my sixth post, not my first. That's a surprise.

Last edited:
Grab it whilst you can though because if Scotland vote for devolution the flag will be no more :angry:

Scotland already had powers devolved in 1998, I think you mean the independence vote :thumbs:

On that subject, do you think the HE will introduce a passport control check half way through the ride for even more authenticity if Scotland votes Yes? :sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.