BttF: The Ride vs. The Simpsons Ride | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

BttF: The Ride vs. The Simpsons Ride

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

BTTF: THE RIDE VS. THE SIMPSONS RIDE

• Back to the Future: The Ride

Votes: 97 70.8%
  • The Simpsons Ride

Votes: 40 29.2%

• Total voters
Simpsons on its own is a fun ride to be truthful. BUT its going to have to live with its criticism BECAUSE it replaced BTTF.

Mummy doesn't nearly get the same backlash because it is a better ride, that replaced a great ride. Since Simpsons is basically the SAME THING, thats why people lash out at it. Might as well fixed up BTTF and kept a ride around that people loved.

Mummy doesn't nearly get the same backlash because it is a better ride, that replaced a great ride. Since Simpsons is basically the SAME THING, thats why people lash out at it. Might as well fixed up BTTF and kept a ride around that people loved.

It's like those fans just wanna go BACK. IN. TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME. *Huey Lewis sax*

To get back to what Vyrus said earlier, sure, Universal could've used the money to fix up BttF. But let's look at it this way. Say it cost $ to upkeep Future. While that's fine and not rocking the boat, what if you could spend just a little more $$ that might bring in more revenue. No theme park's picked up the Simpsons license yet, and that's going to have more recognizability than Back to the Future (as beloved as it is). Pick up a popular franchise, spend a little bit more money to renovate the building, and there's a pretty good chance you'll have more people coming into the park (which as translates into more revenue from parking, food, merchandise, etc.) Now, you may not like this idea because it seems very corporate, but from Universal's standpoint, I can certainly understand the decision if that was the thought process.

I'm sure that when it comes to merchandise sales they are having an uptick with Simpsons, cause I'm sure there isn't many places the merchandise they sell there is available.

But it was an original attraction, and right now we are down to Jaws and ET as far as what is left from the beginning. It just would have been nice to continue to keep something else that was original too.

But it was an original attraction, and right now we are down to Jaws and ET as far as what is left from the beginning. It just would have been nice to continue to keep something else that was original too.

Oh man that's true! I really miss Universal/IOA around like 2002 when most of the old stuff was still there and IOA was brand new.

Anyway personally I like the Simpsons but I would have preferred they just get rid of Jimmy Neutron and put some kind of simpsons ride there, and leave BTTF alone. :'( Oh well. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they will also get rid of ET in the coming years, although I'm hopeful Jaws will stay, simply because it will require a lot of work to change it into something else.
Sadly Universal doesn't seem to grasp the power of nostalgia. Another thing Disney clobbers them at.

Agree on just about everything you said there Roxy. I almost never go on the Simpsons when I'm there, it's just not a memorable ride to me whereas when BTTF was there I'd always make a point to go on it once or twice. I really do hope they keep ET and JAWS, since those are 2 of my favorite rides there. God knows if they closed down JAWS I'd be going to Universal a lot less than I do now. Respect the classics Uni !!! :mad:

Actually, count off Jaws because it was re-done and not the original 1990's ride (which sucked to say the least). So all we have now is E.T, Universal's Horror Make-Up Show, and Lucy.

But anyway, :focus:

I love the BTTF franchise and the ride was always great fun. I haven't had the chance to ride The Simpsons yet. When I was last in FL in 06, I knew they were due to close BTTF so tried to ride it for the 'last time' quite a few times. It made me appreciate it so much more. I'll refrain from voting because I didn't ride The Simpsons yet but in many ways I am not that excited to visit USF. It was always my favorite park for the fact that you became a part of a movie experience. It seems that over the last few years the park has lost much of its originality for the sake of attractions and franchises that are arguably more marketable. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong whenever I get to visit again.

Actually, count off Jaws because it was re-done and not the original 1990's ride (which sucked to say the least).

I count that more along the lines of fixing it, not a new attraction.

Any who, I voted for Simpsons. Sorry. Sorry times a thousand. But Back to the Future didn't exactly age spectacularly. Not the same way Jaws has. Plus, I love how much The Simpsons Ride pokes fun at theme parks. I'm sure that stuff gets old for you regulars, but for most people the jokes are new.

Considering that the majority was always in The Simpsons favor but a year and a half ago, I would not say The Simpsons has aged well at all looking at the voting in this thread.

The queue has horrible lines like "Two years earlier" for the bttf reference scene, although not a big question to most general public BTTF closed more than that now. Why they did not think just to put "2006" is beyond me. Really dumb dated move there. Another example is the line in the duff gardens segment "To be completed in 1995"....yeah. The CGI is not the worst but its certainly been outdone by most things already. Also to add one not manymention, yeah, Simpsons are icnoic but Sideshow bob is not to the general public. He has only been in a total of 12 episodes and was nowhere in the film. His backstory is rushed and often missed in the queue. Even with it, people don't exactly get it. BTTF if you saw the first movie you already had plenty of knowledge to go into that ride with and enjoy it all, even though part 2 made the subtle references a little more fun.

The queue has horrible lines like "Two years earlier" for the bttf reference scene, although not a big question to most general public BTTF closed more than that now. Why they did not think just to put "2006" is beyond me. Really dumb dated move there. Another example is the line in the duff gardens segment "To be completed in 1995"....yeah. The CGI is not the worst but its certainly been outdone by most things already. Also to add one not manymention, yeah, Simpsons are icnoic but Sideshow bob is not to the general public. He has only been in a total of 12 episodes and was nowhere in the film. His backstory is rushed and often missed in the queue. Even with it, people don't exactly get it. BTTF if you saw the first movie you already had plenty of knowledge to go into that ride with and enjoy it all, even though part 2 made the subtle references a little more fun.

That's been really picky. Also, I bet almost half of the people who go on any attraction barely register the back story at all, no matter how well it's told. I'd even argue that the BttF story was more confusing to following than the Simpsons'. BttF requires you know how the Delorean and time travel works and who Biff Tannen is and why he's a threat. Simpsons is just the family's in trouble and it's a theme park GONE WRONG.

That's been really picky. Also, I bet almost half of the people who go on any attraction barely register the back story at all, no matter how well it's told. I'd even argue that the BttF story was more confusing to following than the Simpsons'. BttF requires you know how the Delorean and time travel works and who Biff Tannen is and why he's a threat. Simpsons is just the family's in trouble and it's a theme park GONE WRONG.

But IF you rode the original ride, they explain all of what you need to know before you rode the ride even if you have never heard of BTTF.

Last edited:

Know how time travel works? That was one of the big jokes of the first film. Outside of being powered by the Flux Capacitor and the 1.21 Jiggawatts(which was explained in the preshow) we never knew how Doc made it work.
From the movie.

In reference to the movie when he goes to explain how it works

"This one tells you where your going, this one tells you where you are, this one tells you where you were."

I have to disagree. When I went on BTTF for the first time I was 8 and had never seen the movies, and I understood the backstory almost perfectly

Last edited:
Guess I need to re-evaluate my opinion and ride BttF again to see who's truly bettWAITAMINUTE I CAN'T BECAUSE IT'S NOT THERE ANYMORE.

RaAhBBk4Tk408ltdVAW3kR87o1_500.jpg

Reactions: Rock'nRoller
Guess I need to re-evaluate my opinion and ride BttF again to see who's truly bettWAITAMINUTE I CAN'T BECAUSE IT'S NOT THERE ANYMORE.

RaAhBBk4Tk408ltdVAW3kR87o1_500.jpg

Just buy the HD BTTF dvd, select the ride in the special feathers..then sit on your recliner....pull the lever back and forth and there you go! :thumbs::pound: