Dark Universe (Epic Universe) | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Dark Universe (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If the Creature boat ride is now off the table, I wouldn’t mind some ride related to Van Helsing.
From my understanding, the Creature ride isn’t off the table.

And considering Forbidden Journey is a rework of the planned Van Helsing robo-coaster ride (complete with castle facade), and now they’re doing an Oops All Monsters robo-coaster ride, I’m pretty sure this IS the Van Helsing ride.

Last edited:
Considering permits showed the load/unload is a giant turntable like a whitewater raft ride, it's making it very clear you're in for a different experience right from the get-go!
I never saw said permits but hopefully load/unload are separated more than on Forbidden Journey. It would be like if Cosmic Rewind had a shared load/unload area and our escape pods rolled into the station with people who had just been flying across the galaxy.

I just REALLY hope that Creature ride happens. It would be an amazing spiritual sequel to the original Jaws ride if that's the direction they go.

Creature From The Black Lagoon GIF by Henry Mancini

I assume that's what this is about, but I have no idea why FBarnhill wouldn't just say as much, because it certainly isn't self evident. Some light googling tells me a few unofficial fan sites have pushed the "fun fact" that Creature is inspired by The Deep Ones, but yeah, I can find no official source to corroborate that. No mention of it by the film's writer, directors, or makeup and creature designers. It's a connection someone drew at some point and ran with it. At this point, though, there's nothing to be upset about here.

This surprised me - and while it's an excellent idea in theory, it does concern me a bit. My hope is that these are standalone acting characters whose sole role is to tell stories/interact with guests and not service workers who are forced to "act" without additional pay, like in early Galaxy's Edge. If the park underperforms, I fear these guys will be the first to be cut... but genuinely, here's hoping they're a hit and stay long-term.
I apologize. I should have been more clear.

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I never saw said permits but hopefully load/unload are separated more than on Forbidden Journey. It would be like if Cosmic Rewind had a shared load/unload area and our escape pods rolled into the station with people who had just been flying across the galaxy.

Admittedly, having load/unload in close proximity isn't that much of an issue, you're not unloading in a completely different location/setting like Cosmic Rewind does.

Another factor is a feature talked about in the permits, if for whatever reason a load is taking too long/some one is slow/having issues...that kuka arm can be diverted to go around the entire turntable to give them more time without stopping the ride. Something that just wasn't possible with Forbidden Journey's conveyor belt.

And considering Forbidden Journey is a rework of the planned Van Helsing robo-coaster ride (complete with castle facade), and now they’re doing an Opps All Monsters robo-coaster ride, I’m pretty sure this IS the Van Helsing ride.
THIS.

ROTM opened in 2004, we've seen the fresh hell the sophisticated animatronics (at the time) give us with that, along with other effects. Van Helsing was always planned to be more physical set/animatronic heavy unlike the screen-heavy FJ.

Could you imagine the downtime nightmare Van Helsing would've been plagued with had it been brought to life almost 20 years ago!?

I'll deep dive my Dark Universe thoughts later (maybe), but I'm craving KFC (Korean Fried Chicken) or Japanese food.. sooo

Reactions: Ahmanet
I know it has been well received here as has all the land announcements. But what in the GP response tells you this was more well received than the other lands to restart plans? I mean all my GP friends have been excited about all of the land announcements equally in my opinion.
is it the more well received? I've only seen comments from horror fans on the Instagram posts. most comments seem to be from horror pages. I haven't actually seen any regular general public posts talking about it yet. I'm not saying that the general public isn't talking about it, I've just seen horror fan reactions.

I just REALLY hope that Creature ride happens. It would be an amazing spiritual sequel to the original Jaws ride if that's the direction they go.

he's basically nude in this gif :eek:

If the Creature boat ride is now off the table, I wouldn’t mind some ride related to Van Helsing.
I respect that it has its fans, but I would prefer there be nothing explicitly tied to the 2004 VAN HELSING film in this land. That movie does not present a vision of the Monster characters I can get behind.

The land already feels a little VAN HELSING influenced as it is, and that's plenty.

Why did they do all this? Go through so much trouble when they already have preexisting characters and stories? Because Dark Universe is an original land, it’s just inspired by the Classic Monsters. And by bringing the stories into present day, it gives them the excuse to create whatever they want, building upon the lore, without worrying about timelines, plot holes, or logical inconsistencies.
In fairness, the original movies never much cared about that stuff, either. Even the ones that are direct sequels with returning characters sometimes openly contradict what came before. I think they still could have set the land in the present with some kind of continuity with what happened in those films (I know they've said all those "stories" have "happened" in this land's past).

I get why Universal has chosen the path they have for the Classic Monsters. But it is going to be a situation where the more I actively divorce myself from my love of those movies, the more I'll be able to appreciate* the land... which feels a little strange.

* I already do appreciate the land. I think it's going to be great. It's just not what I would have immediately described if somebody asked me what I wanted to see in a land using these characters. That's purely subjective, of course.

He's the people's choice.

I respect that it has its fans, but I would prefer there be nothing explicitly tied to the 2004 VAN HELSING film in this land. That movie does not present a vision of the Monster characters I can get behind.

The land already feels a little VAN HELSING influenced as it is, and that's plenty.

In fairness, the original movies never much cared about that stuff, either. Even the ones that are direct sequels with returning characters sometimes openly contradict what came before. I think they still could have set the land in the present with some kind of continuity with what happened in those films (I know they've said all those "stories" have "happened" in this land's past).

I get why Universal has chosen the path they have for the Classic Monsters. But it is going to be a situation where the more I actively divorce myself from my love of those movies, the more I'll be able to appreciate* the land... which feels a little strange.

* I already do appreciate the land. I think it's going to be great. It's just not what I would have immediately described if somebody asked me what I wanted to see in a land using these characters. That's purely subjective, of course.

if Frankenstein has a descendant I think van Helsing could have had one too. they could either be allies or rivals.

Reactions: belloq87

There’s already so many Easter eggs and nods to Wolfman to spot in concept art, I can’t even imagine what the Unchained queue is going to be like. Supposedly there’ll be artifacts from her travels related to each monster. So, it’s gonna be fun and rewarding for hardcore classic fans I’m sure.

If COTBL does go in a way in the form of a Jaws ride, I wonder if it will avoid the same problems JAWS itself had. As everyone here knows, the Jaws ride was so expensive to maintain due to the amount of oil required for the attraction and maintenance as well. Bad enough that Jaws had to close temporarily close in January 2005 then finally reopened in December 2005, which was listed as "seasonal" and only open on busier days, which lasted until February 2007 when the ride was finally opened full-time again. When Forbidden Journey opened at IOA in June 2010, Jaws immediately got the boot a year and a half later. Will COTBL ride vehicle rely on oil or electric? Will it avoid the same problems that JAWS itself had? That is something we'll find out in the future should the concept arise.

Maybe they'll resurrect Creature From the Black Lagoon: The Musical. Give us the show everyone is clamoring for.
One could only hope! :lol: I'm going to Monster purgatory for encouraging this

If COTBL does go in a way in the form of a Jaws ride, I wonder if it will avoid the same problems JAWS itself had.
You're forgetting the size/scale of the shark & how much horse power was required to operate those sharks. Also, the ride used an excessive amount of gasoline every 5mins for Bridewell's Gas Dock explosion/wall of flames. Also the ride is rumored to be indoor rather than outdoor. The only similarities this rumored ride has with JAWS is most likely- boat ride vehicle & wetness.

Although if they pump Gillman with steroids he can grow huge like a Super Sentai/Power Rangers monster & swallow our boat!

if Frankenstein has a descendant I think van Helsing could have had one too. they could either be allies or rivals.
I'd be totally fine with the character of Van Helsing having a descendant show up. But I'd rather it be a descendant of this guy and not Hugh Jackman!
dracula28.png

There’s already so many Easter eggs and nods to Wolfman to spot in concept art, I can’t even imagine what the Unchained queue is going to be like. Supposedly there’ll be artifacts from her travels related to each monster. So, it’s gonna be fun and rewarding for hardcore classic fans I’m sure.
I'm looking forward to it.

I think it has some potential crossover appeal to fans who like events such as HHN.

Just the concept alone of an “scary” land being built already draws tons of interest.
is it the more well received? I've only seen comments from horror fans on the Instagram posts. most comments seem to be from horror pages. I haven't actually seen any regular general public posts talking about it yet. I'm not saying that the general public isn't talking about it, I've just seen horror fan reactions.
I agree that in horror world this is great and people who go to HHN will like it. But I haven't seen the GP react more strongly to this than other reveals. So not sure why the reveal itself would fast track this ride. I imagine Luigi may be fast tracked due to Donkey Kong. I think they realized there are issues with the ride (based on delays for the first one opening) and that capacity might be more of an issue than originally thought (just my guess). But I think beyond that no plans for expansions will be made until park opens and they actually see which lands need help in which areas. Then they will make a priority list.
If COTBL does go in a way in the form of a Jaws ride, I wonder if it will avoid the same problems JAWS itself had. As everyone here knows, the Jaws ride was so expensive to maintain due to the amount of oil required for the attraction and maintenance as well. Bad enough that Jaws had to close temporarily close in January 2005 then finally reopened in December 2005, which was listed as "seasonal" and only open on busier days, which lasted until February 2007 when the ride was finally opened full-time again. When Forbidden Journey opened at IOA in June 2010, Jaws immediately got the boot a year and a half later. Will COTBL ride vehicle rely on oil or electric? Will it avoid the same problems that JAWS itself had? That is something we'll find out in the future should the concept arise.
I don't think this will be anything like Jaws. It will be closer to the more modern boat rides at Disney. No gas, no driver, etc. So it won't see the same issues.

I agree that in horror world this is great and people who go to HHN will like it. But I haven't seen the GP react more strongly to this than other reveals. So not sure why the reveal itself would fast track this ride. I imagine Luigi may be fast tracked due to Donkey Kong. I think they realized there are issues with the ride (based on delays for the first one opening) and that capacity might be more of an issue than originally thought (just my guess). But I think beyond that no plans for expansions will be made until park opens and they actually see which lands need help in which areas. Then they will make a priority list.

I don't think this will be anything like Jaws. It will be closer to the more modern boat rides at Disney. No gas, no driver, etc. So it won't see the same issues.
Yea I agree however personally I feel the boat ride will round out the land.