Falcon's Fury | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Falcon's Fury

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Damn. This thing is going to make Six Flags Over Georgia's 'Acrophobia' its bitch.

And Acrophobia already bothered me with its seats only slightly tilting forward. This is going to freak people out.

Great work as usual Bob. With most of construction of DA happening behind closed Doors this could well be the project to watch.

All filled in now.

falfur_zpsdf691f59.jpg

Temporary steel pilings are being pulled.

The tower erection crane boom and counterweights are on site as is what appears to be a SPMT. :thumbs:

Preliminary assembly of tower sections is also ongoing.

Last edited:
^ What in hell is a SPMT?

I thought the same thing..

Woohoo SPMT! (im as clueless)

I thought you guy's might ask that. :lol:

It's a "Self Propelled Modular Transport" as shown below.

self-propelled-modular-transporter.jpg

Basically it's just a large trailer with it's own power unit. They can handle great amounts of weight without damaging the roads or other surfaces. They are also very maneuverable and adaptable to various terrain conditions such as going up curbs.

Example of a SPMT in action . . .

[video=youtube;whyr4VcU69g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whyr4VcU69g[/video]

^ That's the boom for a heavy lift mobile crane. I was probably mistaken earlier as I do not believe it will be tall enough to erect the tower. It's possible they will just use it to load the modules on the SPMT.

If you look closely you can see the SPMT behind the trailer the boom is on. The part you see on the other end of the van is the power unit for the SPMT. It actually hangs of the front of the unit.

Weather permitting I'll have an update tomorrow.

Will the tower stack up pretty fast?
I would say two to three modules a week. So yes, relatively fast.

Remember that they still have to position and grout the base in place. They also have to assemble the heavy lift crane. If all goes to plan this process will begin next week.

Last edited: