Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion | Page 430 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
On a personal note, I want to see someone turn F&F:S into a "Potter-Quality" attraction. The amount of professional creative skills it would take to achieve such a feat would be truly impressive.

I have no trouble believing that the concept was blue-skyed. I mean, after the reception F&F:S received, it would almost be corporate malfeasance not to at least explore the concept.

On a personal note, I want to see someone turn F&F:S into a "Potter-Quality" attraction. The amount of professional creative skills it would take to achieve such a feat would be truly impressive.

I have no trouble believing that the concept was blue-skyed. I mean, after the reception F&F:S received, it would almost be corporate malfeasance not to at least explore the concept.

This sums up the problem. F&F is kind of easy to be creative about because it lends itself to such an obvious place which is why people were so pissed about what was delivered.

Turning the F&F system into something that's equal to the quality of the Wizarding World, is no easy task.

Transforming San Francisco into an extension of London sounds like an equally difficult task. I don't think they even need to, they could just build a walkway from inside King's Cross. Every train station has a bus stop outside it.

F&F WW.jpg

The red area for the Knight Bus and the yellow area an expansion area for San Francisco if they decide they want to do something further down the road.

This sums up the problem. F&F is kind of easy to be creative about because it lends itself to such an obvious place which is why people were so pissed about what was delivered.

Turning the F&F system into something that's equal to the quality of the Wizarding World, is no easy task.

Transforming San Francisco into an extension of London sounds like an equally difficult task. I don't think they even need to, they could just build a walkway from inside King's Cross. Every train station has a bus stop outside it.

View attachment 12119

The red area for the Knight Bus and the yellow area an expansion area for San Francisco if they decide they want to do something further down the road.
While Uni has consistently shown us that “nothing is sacred” with them, amongst the things that are very close to sacred are the Hollywood, New York, and SanFran Façades. There is a reason that they’ve gotten reused in some capacity at most Universal Parks. Something like that ^ with the ride only claiming a small part of the San Fran Façades seems much more likely to me. And who knows? Maybe they could still squeeze a show back into the current queue space.

View attachment 12119

Not that I know anything but I would think that they could go the route that Disneyland did with Indiana Jones. A long queue line that begins near the end of Diagon Alley, near the Fountain of Fair Fortune. The line would stretch all the way to the F&F building and the whole thing turned into a new ride. Basically, take out the current ride and ride system and put in something that would be more interesting and even somewhat thrilling. Thus, the queue line could stay in theme with the Wizarding World but no external place setting on the F&F building would be required. Maybe just some paint. I guess that it depends on how much WWofHP Universal would like in their parks. If they want a different direction, they could stick with F&F and just put in a different ride system (ex. Slot Car system as mentioned above).

I hope the Knight Bus is the last addition of all these. With this potentially, potentially Potter 3.0
At EU, it’d feel like too much Potter tbh (even as a Potter fan). I hope they tackle Tokyo first.

Not that I know anything but I would think that they could go the route that Disneyland did with Indiana Jones. A long queue line that begins near the end of Diagon Alley, near the Fountain of Fair Fortune. The line would stretch all the way to the F&F building and the whole thing turned into a new ride. Basically, take out the current ride and ride system and put in something that would be more interesting and even somewhat thrilling. Thus, the queue line could stay in theme with the Wizarding World but no external place setting on the F&F building would be required. Maybe just some paint. I guess that it depends on how much WWofHP Universal would like in their parks. If they want a different direction, they could stick with F&F and just put in a different ride system (ex. Slot Car system as mentioned above).

I like it when problems like these exist because it allows for wild creativity to overcome and you end up with something that would never have existed. The elevator in Haunted Mansion in DL only existed so they could get beyond the train tracks and it was so popular, they faked it when bringing it to WDW. Same with the queue for Indiana Jones like you mentioned which has a fantastic queue. Other examples include Nemesis at Alton Towers. They weren't allowed to go above the tree height so they went downwards into the rock and created one of the best inverted coasters with a tight profile and near misses.

Reactions: SkiBum and Legacy
I haven’t loved what USF has become over the past decade, but change is inevitable. Get rid of Mummy or MIB before Shrek, Fear Factor Live, or Kidzone and I’m really going to struggle wanting to spend time in That park over IOA.

Diagon, Transformers, and ET are really the only things aside from Mummy and MIB that I care about at all in Studios.

I don’t see a point in removing Mummy....unless they upgrade it and add it to the Monsters section of Epic Universe. It’s USF’s most popular ride.

I haven’t loved what USF has become over the past decade, but change is inevitable. Get rid of Mummy or MIB before Shrek, Fear Factor Live, or Kidzone and I’m really going to struggle wanting to spend time in That park over IOA.

Diagon, Transformers, and ET are really the only things aside from Mummy and MIB that I care about at all in Studios.

I don’t see a point in removing Mummy....unless they upgrade it and add it to the Monsters section of Epic Universe. It’s USF’s most popular ride.

That's why I think a retheme is in the cards for Mummy, not a straight up removal. The IP is irrelevant, the coaster is not.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Tokyo where MiB/FFL is and Bikini Bottom where Kidzone is would give Studios a light "Cities" framing/theme I could really appreciate. A really minor point in all of this and probably not gonna happen, but would be nice nonetheless.

Reactions: Magic-Man
That's why I think a retheme is in the cards for Mummy, not a straight up removal. The IP is irrelevant, the coaster is not.
Unfortunately, it is maintenance of the coaster itself that appears to be the issue. Unless there is another IP that they actually want to replace it with, Universal isn't opposed to allowing aged IP's to stay, especially if they have a good attraction to represent them.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Unfortunately, it is maintenance of the coaster itself that appears to be the issue. Unless there is another IP that they actually want to replace it with, Universal isn't opposed to allowing aged IP's to stay, especially if they have a good attraction to represent them.
The thing opened 16 years ago and is indoors, how is it a maintenance problem already?!

The thing opened 16 years ago and is indoors, how is it a maintenance problem already?!
From the Mummy thread:

Rides don't age in years. They age in hours/cycles.

Joker's Jinx opened in 1999, so has been operating for 20 years. Now, Six Flags America is a seasonal park, and typical opens 3 days a week between Easter and Memorial Day, 7 days a week between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and three days a week in October. I did an extremely rough calculation based on those things and figure the park is open about 170 days a year. For the sake of math, I'm going roughly say the park is open 10 hours a day, so the Joker's Jinx runs 1,700 hours a year.

Over 20 years, based on those calculations, Joker's Jinx is 34,000 hours old.

Now, Mummy opened in May 2004, it's been running over 15 years. Big difference is, apart from refurbs (which it rarely gets), park closures and break downs, it's running every day. But, for the sake of argument (and easy math), let's knock a year off it's total "age" and (to account for the aughts), I'll say it only ran 9 hours a day.

9 hours a day * 365 days a year * 14 years = 45,990 hours old.

So, even though Jinx is old by opening date, these conceptual calculations show Mummy has almost 11,000 hours of more tear. It would take Jinx 7 more years (based on how it operates) to get to the same wear level.

But, let's extend this thought experiment. Let's say Mummy closes in 2025 without a refurb (so, 5 more years), and the park now runs it 10 hours a day.

10 hours * 365 * 5 years = 18,250 hours. That puts it at 64,240 hours of approximate run time before closure.

Based on Six Flags seasonal operations, it would take Joker's Jinx another 17 years to get the same amount of total run time.

So, a ride at Universal that last twenty years can last thirty-five to forty years in a seasonal park. That's why they operate on a different time frame. For reference, Hulk was replaced at approximately 45,000 hours. Dragons closed at over 50,000 hours.

One of the big differences between Disney and Universal is that Disney will take down their signature rides for a few months for refurbishments. That extends their lifetimes. Universal can rarely afford to do that.