Future of Dragon Challenge? | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Dragon Challenge?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'all do not want a Steeplechase/Motorbike coaster.

They are...not good.

Not good, is an understatement.

Quick question, have you've been on any of the Vekoma versions? Since those are quite fun and heads and tails better then the lackluster Zamperla models.

As for DC getting replaced, even though it hasn't dueled in a while I'll still be pretty bummed. Just like Hulk, Montu n' Kumba these two inverts are prime examples of a Old School B&M, so it would be quite a loss in my eyes.

An' if it get's replaced by a wing rider, that would be a downgrade for sure. (I'm not a fan of them, they're not on the level of old school B&M's.)

Reactions: anihilnation
So what is the value of a used coaster like this? Is there a market? Would it have to be retracked?

I would think if it had to be reworked then it would be less to build new but maybe a small park would try to use it?

Another reason is for child swap. Child swap can no longer go thru the que like before with the metal dectors. You get a card at the entrance and the waiting part of your party goes up the exit and waits outside the building while everyone else goes thru the line like normal. When the 1st group is done riding those waiting present the card to that attendant where they are wanded and sent thru a door in to the main que.

Darn it. Sounds like it will be harder to ride multiple times. We used to ride 2 or 3 times each just swapping back and forth because no one watched child swap.

B&M's have been sold and moved before. I don't think any this old though, so I'm not sure if condition is an issue. It's sounding like Hulk's redo might have had a lot to do with the footers themselves, so I don't know how much the wear on the track had to do about it. A new B&M can be $20 million plus. Buying used and moving should be a lot cheaper. Now Universal may not have any interest in selling it though, even if they are tearing it down.

I have a feeling the layout and vehicle design were copyrighted so they may not want to sell it to another park. Another Universal park (in China), maybe...

Reactions: JoeCamel
I have a feeling the layout and vehicle design were copyrighted so they may not want to sell it to another park. Another Universal park (in China), maybe...

China isn't getting anything second hand... The park is in a league of its own

Reactions: Mike S
I think they may be watching Disney now and seeing how big a success or flop Shanghai is before they really commit to anything in China. While it is a new growth market, I have a feeling it may already be saturated. But that's a discussion for another thread...

I think they may be watching Disney now and seeing how big a success or flop Shanghai is before they really commit to anything in China. While it is a new growth market, I have a feeling it may already be saturated. But that's a discussion for another thread...

Yea. I don't think Universal Beijing will be the park we thought it'd be, if it happens at all.

Reactions: GAcoaster
Yea. I don't think Universal Beijing will be the park we thought it'd be, if it happens at all.

I disagree mainly due to Chinese customs and culture in different reasons. They will have some similar challenges but vastly the way politics and business work in Shanghai differ drastically in Beijing.

I like the idea although visualising it, it does look a little rude.

Cf1t76H.jpg

Getting out of that ride could be very tricky. A person with short legs could take a shot between the wickets. Having ridden two different wingriders (Gatekeeper at Cedar Point and Wild Eagle at Dollywood), I am not sure that this ride type is the best choice. First off, the load times are a little slow, even with a dual loading platform. Second, the ride experience is not the greatest. I enjoyed Wild Eagle a lot but Gatekeeper's transitions are slow and the ride is a little boring. I don't love overly intense rides anymore (ex. Hulk is pushing my boundaries as I move into my 40's) and Gatekeeper was just kind of blah.

Getting out of that ride could be very tricky. A person with short legs could take a shot between the wickets. Having ridden two different wingriders (Gatekeeper at Cedar Point and Wild Eagle at Dollywood), I am not sure that this ride type is the best choice. First off, the load times are a little slow, even with a dual loading platform. Second, the ride experience is not the greatest. I enjoyed Wild Eagle a lot but Gatekeeper's transitions are slow and the ride is a little boring. I don't love overly intense rides anymore (ex. Hulk is pushing my boundaries as I move into my 40's) and Gatekeeper was just kind of blah.

I'd imagine if they made it, they would have he broomstick on a hinge that retracts with the restraints. Kind of like how the ankle holders work in a flying coaster.

I've never been on a wing coaster but I've heard a lot of people saying they're slow and boring. This could maybe work to Universals advantage by allowing a more family friendly coaster.

I disagree mainly due to Chinese customs and culture in different reasons. They will have some similar challenges but vastly the way politics and business work in Shanghai differ drastically in Beijing.

That doesn't address the issue of saturation in the country. China isn't the 'sure bet' it was when Disneyland Shanghai was announced and the country as a whole is starting to show cracks. I'm almost certain we will see Universal looking at Shanghai very closely before we see any more forward momentum in Beijing.

Reactions: JungleSkip
That doesn't address the issue of saturation in the country. China isn't the 'sure bet' it was when Disneyland Shanghai was announced and the country as a whole is starting to show cracks. I'm almost certain we will see Universal looking at Shanghai very closely before we see any more forward momentum in Beijing.
Which well they should. Lot's of negatives lurking out there.

On a more personal opinion, I think it would actually work in Universal's favor to just shelve the Beijing park for the foreseeable future. I know they want a piece of the pie so to speak, however with the inner workings of the Chinese government the way they are, they take big chances of being screwed over. Just look at Disney... Shanghai was built partly with hopes of expanding Disney's visibility in China, however today news dropped that the DisneyLife online service launched last December with that very goal in mind was just shut down weeks before the opening of Shanghai due to new laws in the country. And lets not even go into the government tampering of film box office receipts to boost Chinese made films 'performance' at the expense of American made films.

Anyways, said my peace on that. So about Dragon Challenge...

Reactions: IzzyB and Mad Dog
On a more personal opinion, I think it would actually work in Universal's favor to just shelve the Beijing park for the foreseeable future. I know they want a piece of the pie so to speak, however with the inner workings of the Chinese government the way they are, they take big chances of being screwed over. Just look at Disney... Shanghai was built partly with hopes of expanding Disney's visibility in China, however today news dropped that the DisneyLife online service launched last December with that very goal in mind was just shut down weeks before the opening of Shanghai due to new laws in the country. And lets not even go into the government tampering of film box office receipts to boost Chinese made films 'performance' at the expense of American made films.
I agree with you 100%.:thumbsup: I've been cautioning against theme park investments in China since the early days I joined this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.