Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Toon Lagoon

The only time I’ve seen the inside of that theatre was when the Jokers were on campus for an episode and Q had some stupid punishment

Ok, here is what I would do with toon lagoon.

From MSHI to the Popeye statue becomes Trolls. The land would have a covered Trolls version of the Freeze Ray flat with lots of crazy spinning colorful lighting called "DJ Suki's Dance Off" and an AA filled E Ticket trackless dark ride with an insipid music loop. Include the glitter farting M&G and a counter service burger and nuggets place. Also a quick service ice cream window and a fresh cotton candy with sugar crystal glitter place (pick your own cotton candy color/flavor and glitter color).

The Popeye area becomes Shrek's Swamp. Bluto's is rethemed to "Bog Battle". Lord Farquad's men are clearing the swamp of all the fairytale characters. They aren't going without a fight. It would be like if the Shrek movie and Home Alone had a love child. Weave an ol' timey car attraction through the land going around and over the swamp rafts. Have each car themed to a different fruit or veggie like a giant onion, giant orange, giant apple, giant blueberry, giant watermelon, etc. Have each car smell like the fruit/veggie. Call it something like Fairy Godmother's Magical Taxi Co. Wimpy's becomes Donkey's Ye Ol' Waffle Shoppe serving both sweet and savory waffles (I'll take the Jalapeno Corn Bread Waffle topped with Brisket and a little Sweet Baby Rays and a Swamp Water Brown Ale, please). Of course, the Shrek/Donkey/Fiona M&G. And a play land.

From the Popeye Statue to the bridge to Kong/JW becomes the indoor Panda land from Beijing including the E Ticket family friendly boat ride and Chinese Lantern spinner. Obviously, Mr. Ping's Noodle Shop would have to be included. It could be either a Counter Service Ramen Shop or possibly even be a full service pan Asian restaurant.

That would give the area 2 indoor family friendly E Tickets, one outdoor E Ticket raft ride, a couple of covered flats. And the car ride. That would be a really solid land.

Last edited:

From MSHI to the Popeye statue becomes Trolls. The land would have a covered Trolls version of the Freeze Ray flat with lots of crazy spinning colorful lighting called "DJ Suki's Dance Off" and an AA filled E Ticket trackless dark ride with an insipid music loop. Include the glitter farting M&G and a counter service burger and nuggets place. Also a quick service ice cream window and a fresh cotton candy with sugar crystal glitter place (pick your own cotton candy color/flavor and glitter color).

The Popeye area becomes Shrek's Swamp. Bluto's is rethemed to "Bog Battle". Lord Farquad's men are clearing the swamp of all the fairytale characters. They aren't going without a fight. It would be like if the Shrek movie and Home Alone had a love child. Weave an ol' timey car attraction through the land going around and over the swamp rafts. Have each car themed to a different fruit or veggie like a giant onion, giant orange, giant apple, giant blueberry, giant watermelon, etc. Have each car smell like the fruit/veggie. Call it something like Fairy Godmother's Magical Taxi Co. Wimpy's becomes Donkey's Ye Ol' Waffle Shoppe serving both sweet and savory waffles (I'll take the Jalapeno Corn Bread Waffle topped with Brisket and a little Sweet Baby Rays and a Swamp Water Brown Ale, please). Of course, the Shrek/Donkey/Fiona M&G. And a play land.

From the Popeye Statue to the bridge to Kong/JW becomes the indoor Panda land from Beijing including the E Ticket family friendly boat ride and Chinese Lantern spinner. Obviously, Mr. Ping's Noodle Shop would have to be included. It could be either a Counter Service Ramen Shop or possibly even be a full service pan Asian restaurant.

That would give the area 2 indoor family friendly E Tickets, one outdoor E Ticket raft ride, a couple of covered flats. And the car ride. That would be a really solid land.
I love these ideas! I still feel Universal is gong to go with single IP lands if they had a choice. Maybe it works this way if they make Toon lagoon 3 separate areas. Plenty of land to be had, so I can see this.

Honestly I know its lazy cause its probably been brought up for decades, but id rather just see TL become LOTR. It has soooo much space to work with, is in theme with IOA, can have that raft ride that has been rumored along with at least one MAJOR E ticket. Restaurants, walk thru/tour of Rivendell. I think it'd be so good. Put KFP in Lost Continent and keep Mythos as is as a standalone restaurant.

Theater of the Islands subarea gets bulldozed for Bikini Bottom.
  • E-Ticket trackless dark ride tour of Bikini Bottom (Imagine Runaway Railway but more faithful to it's source material/better).
  • Exits into the Barg'N-Mart.
  • Spongebob Meet & Greet (Queue in his house, meet in his library) (Considering swapping this out with a flat ride).
  • The Chum Bucket contains bathrooms and a small Toon Extra expansion.
  • The Krusty Krab (Connected to Comic Strip Cafe ).
1591196212710.png

Man- you want to shoot across the bow of Disney, this is the way. While LoTR is clearly the coolest option, this would make a ton of sense. Between these 3 IPs + Seuss, Marvel, JP, Potter? It's a young child's dream park. This would dominate ages 5-10 and still give those under 42" kids more options.
I always tell people don't take your kids to universal (unless they have an older sibling) until they are 42". This would change that.

Man- you want to shoot across the bow of Disney, this is the way. While LoTR is clearly the coolest option, this would make a ton of sense. Between these 3 IPs + Seuss, Marvel, JP, Potter? It's a young child's dream park. This would dominate ages 5-10 and still give those under 42" kids more options.
I always tell people don't take your kids to universal (unless they have an older sibling) until they are 42". This would change that.
Totally agree here. If Universal really starts diving into their Dreamworks catalog, and obviously Nintendo in the future, oh boy.

I don't know if they would have room to do this, but a Shrek flume ride would be awesome, along with a dark ride of trying to escape Lord Farquuad's castle. I imagine maybe the concept of Shrek 4-D's preshow, but an actual ride following it instead of the 4-D show.

I don't understand why Universal wouldn't just do a Nickelodeon themed area here if they have the theme park rights to the nick toons.

But with that said, I personally enjoy the comic strip characters/theming around the land. It's all fun, whacky, and very elaborate in its theming. Very different from what any other theme park has to offer, too. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Universal starts using all the different characters/IPs for reboot products sometime in the future.

I don't understand why Universal wouldn't just do a Nickelodeon themed area here if they have the theme park rights to the nick toons.

But with that said, I personally enjoy the comic strip characters/theming around the land. It's all fun, whacky, and very elaborate in its theming. Very different from what any other theme park has to offer, too. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if Universal starts using all the different characters/IPs for reboot products sometime in the future.
I believe there is already a Popeye reboot in development!

Definitely think the best course of action here is dividing Toon Lagoon into two different areas, as others have said. LOTR + SLOP/SING is the best option for it, IMO, but I can also see a smaller version of Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness from Beijing replacing LOTR and Popeyes remaining as is.

Definitely think the best course of action here is dividing Toon Lagoon into two different areas, as others have said. LOTR + SLOP/SING is the best option for it, IMO, but I can also see a smaller version of Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness from Beijing replacing LOTR and Popeyes remaining as is.
See in my opinion KFP fits perfectly where LC is, since TL is such huge land id almost rather them wait to build all that until they find the exact right IP, rather than splitting the land. Idk maybe just me though. If that area became a dreamworks/illumination lands, then LC probably becomes Zelda or some IP that is that worthy of a large immersive land.

Honestly though best part of this is TL gives Universal TONS of options I feel for a direction to go.