Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Toon Lagoon

Amen!

What many people that don’t live here don’t realize, is that Florida is HOT normally 8 or 9 months out of the year. Those rides are absolutely necessary. I’m still floored that Studios doesn’t have a water ride. It really could use one. Glad to see Epic Universe is getting one.

So many people crapping on Toon Lagoon when Lost Continent is sitting on the other side of the park with nothing but a fancy restaurant and a walk through!
Yes, it's basically a walk-through land. I always felt that the land was lacking when it was at full strength with that beautiful theme and a walk-through and show supporting it. Now, it's just sad.

Theater of the Islands subarea gets bulldozed for Bikini Bottom.
  • E-Ticket trackless dark ride tour of Bikini Bottom (Imagine Runaway Railway but more faithful to it's source material/better).
  • Exits into the Barg'N-Mart.
  • Spongebob Meet & Greet (Queue in his house, meet in his library) (Considering swapping this out with a flat ride).
  • The Chum Bucket contains bathrooms and a small Toon Extra expansion.
  • The Krusty Krab (Connected to Comic Strip Cafe ).
View attachment 12360
Leave it to Coolbert to fully develop a land for a Nickelodeon property.

I agree with @JungleSkip, I don’t want Toon Lagoon to go anytime soon. I’d prefer to see it refurbished before it’s bulldozed, because a.) I think comic strip characters still have some form of relevance in our time, even if so many people actually still read the strips, b.) I think there’s still a lot you can do with the idea of a land based on older cartoons (I, for one, wonder why Flash Gordon or The Phantom never got any real representation), and c.) I like the idea of Islands of Adventure being collectively based in some form of literature (as I’ve said, even King Kong’s first appearance was in the book version of his movie; the book came first!)

It's always a little jarring for me to see SLoP ads in Toon Lagoon. Everything else is both 2D animation and, like, forever old. It should work for me, but it is just too different of a vibe.

In my honest opinion, I feel like replacing Toon Lagoon with something else is a bad idea. While, the IPs aren't really relevant anymore. As others said, Its good to have a land with two water rides. It'll refresh guests during the hot temperature that Florida usually experiences. Although, there is one complaint I have about Toon Lagoon and that is: Ripsaw Falls. The last time I rode Ripsaw Falls, I loved the ride but the problem for me was the exposed supports, It really took me away from the story they were trying to tell. It would be good if they kept Popeyes, the cafe, and the splash-pad themed to Me Ship The Olive and made that a Popeye miniland. and retheme/enclose Ripsaw Falls and replace it with a new IP, they can even retheme Comic Strip Cafe if they wanted to.

I do genuinely enjoy Toon Lagoon - but I'm totally up for a Bikini Bottom re-theme.
I think SpongeBob’s currently experiencing a renaissance in popularity; men in their 20s and girls in the 16-25 age range in general have been bringing the show back to early-2000s levels of love. Aided by those demographics, I can imagine a Bikini Bottom land opening and doing exceptionally well at first, but I wonder for how long that would last.

Personally, I’d rather they keep the deal they have right now with the Hearst company and try to exploit the more “exciting” characters in their library; I’ve expressed a lot that I’d love to see more love shown for the likes of The Phantom and Flash Gordon, but they also have entertainment rights for Cuphead; depending on projections of returns on that franchise over time, I’d be interested in an attraction taken from that IP.

I think SpongeBob’s currently experiencing a renaissance in popularity; men in their 20s and girls in the 16-25 age range in general have been bringing the show back to early-2000s levels of love. Aided by those demographics, I can imagine a Bikini Bottom land opening and doing exceptionally well at first, but I wonder for how long that would last.

Personally, I’d rather they keep the deal they have right now with the Hearst company and try to exploit the more “exciting” characters in their library; I’ve expressed a lot that I’d love to see more love shown for the likes of The Phantom and Flash Gordon, but they also have entertainment rights for Cuphead; depending on projections of returns on that franchise over time, I’d be interested in an attraction taken from that IP.
Take the Runaway Railway tech. Make it an interactive shooter. Timeless Cuphead ride.

Wild rumors that a character looking like a big Sponge and another a huge Crab like creature , with a nasty disposition, were lurking in the area and may have been trying to sabotage the attraction, for reasons unknown . .... ;) :lol:
583lns7wflo31.png

Last edited: