Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Tips, Tricks, & Planning | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Tips, Tricks, & Planning

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I bought tickets for Sept. 27 for myself and my [soon to be] brother in law. It's his first time at the event, so we purchased early entry but not Express. It's going to be a very long night, I haven't gone without Express for the better part of 10 years, but I'm hopeful we can make a lot happen at either end of the event.

With Early entry revoked, more mazes, and sections of the park designated to higher tier tickets, this is gonna be tough.
That's part of the reason why I chose to forgo FF this year, do RIP this year, and buy a Wednesday ticket if I really want to go back. Four houses on the lower lot and making early entry paid is going to make a gameplan really tough this year.

What's insane is that even RIp has to purchase early access separately. I hope and pray this forcing everyone to pay for "early access" backfires gloriously because so much can (or WILL) go wrong here. It will create a bigger bottleneck to scan everyone's ticket to gain early access and then the early access people will be beyond pissed if Express gets barraged through while standby is stuck until the Express line is empty. At least once I go back I can get a better understanding of a gameplan and then skip Holidayz. I'm confident that it will be another one-and-done house like Klowns was.

Reactions: chris.g
Getting Early Entry and using my free pass with my pass. If you could upgrade them before I would but most likely no express because it will sell out.
My goal is mainly getting on Last of Us, would love to get on Stranger things but doubt I'll be able to do both without waiting insane hours

I am admittedly most curious on how exactly they are going to discern those who do D/N, and those who do Early Entry.

One is going to have a clear advantage over the other; especially if the advantage decides to pony up for Express. I am also curious in how they handle queue flows, especially if the advent of wanting to increase the amount of content that people can access becomes apparent for locations like the WaterWorld and DreamWorks venues (Assuming the latter is on the board still).

I've seen it hinted and implied, but haven't heard anything about special access to SNW with HHN Express? We're doing opening night and we have the Unlimited Express (yay!), will we be able to do Nintendo at night? Is there anything we're not gonna be able to do?

I've seen it hinted and implied, but haven't heard anything about special access to SNW with HHN Express? We're doing opening night and we have the Unlimited Express (yay!), will we be able to do Nintendo at night? Is there anything we're not gonna be able to do?
Sadly, SNW during HHN will only be for those who purchased the After 2pm ticket. They will get the land from 7pm-10pm during HHN. Outside of purchasing that ticket...SNW is a no go for anyone else.

Sadly, SNW during HHN will only be for those who purchased the After 2pm ticket. They will get the land from 7pm-10pm during HHN. Outside of purchasing that ticket...SNW is a no go for anyone else.
Wow...I understand why they're doing it, but that's crazy. Don't have that access even with my regular day ticket? Oh well...luckily for us we're doing the parks in the morning and the day before as well but would've been nice to see it at night.

Reactions: Jonathan
Wow...I understand why they're doing it, but that's crazy. Don't have that access even with my regular day ticket? Oh well...luckily for us we're doing the parks in the morning and the day before as well but would've been nice to see it at night.
I think it's also to spread crowds out/sell more of those tickets

As a local, I'm like great get these people out of the maze lines into SNW but understand why it sucks for guests traveling to USH

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but would anyone happen to remember if parking prices tend to change for HHN? Planning on going a lot and trying to compare the price of individual parking nights vs getting a gold pass for the free parking.

Secondary question, do we know if said gold pass would also function as early entry if i didnt buy it separately, assuming its not blocked out, or would they still lock me out for not paying the upcharge?
Thanks!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but would anyone happen to remember if parking prices tend to change for HHN? Planning on going a lot and trying to compare the price of individual parking nights vs getting a gold pass for the free parking.

Secondary question, do we know if said gold pass would also function as early entry if i didnt buy it separately, assuming its not blocked out, or would they still lock me out for not paying the upcharge?
Thanks!
Pretty sure parking prices are the same as daytime prices. I use my gold pass to get parking as I usually arrive before 5 for early entry anyway.

Does anyone have any experience with RIP for Hollywood? Any advice on the ideal time to book for? I know it comes with unlimited express, so I'm wondering if it makes the most sense to book a later timeslot so that you can knock out plenty of mazes before the formal tour... or is there any advantage to taking an earlier time slot?

Does anyone have any experience with RIP for Hollywood? Any advice on the ideal time to book for? I know it comes with unlimited express, so I'm wondering if it makes the most sense to book a later timeslot so that you can knock out plenty of mazes before the formal tour... or is there any advantage to taking an earlier time slot?
I did it last year, and Hollywood's tour, in particular, is one of the best HHN experiences I have ever had.

If you get a later time somewhat around 7:00-7:30ish the night, you can still knock out a few mazes; for example, I had a 7:00 pm tour, and I was able to knock out Weeknd and Killer Klowns in 10 minutes due to how RIP does not share the same line with express. However, I suggest getting to the RIP check-in location 30 minutes before your tour begins so you can relax and meet your tour guide early. Usually, the tours end early enough (especially if no one wants to see the show(s)) to where you can go through the houses repeatedly, avoiding the express line.

I did it last year, and Hollywood's tour, in particular, is one of the best HHN experiences I have ever had.

If you get a later time somewhat around 7:00-7:30ish the night, you can still knock out a few mazes; for example, I had a 7:00 pm tour, and I was able to knock out Weeknd and Killer Klowns in 10 minutes due to how RIP does not share the same line with express. However, I suggest getting to the RIP check-in location 30 minutes before your tour begins so you can relax and meet your tour guide early. Usually, the tours end early enough (especially if no one wants to see the show(s)) to where you can go through the houses repeatedly, avoiding the express line.

So you can use your RIP credentials before your tour time? That alone is invaluable and is making me want to try for an 8pmish slot.

Reactions: Michael S
In my opinion, get the earliest time possible. It gives you the most flexibility to use your unlimited FOL privileges, which is best experienced without needing to stop to go do your tour; finish your tour early so you can move at your own pace until the park closes.

By far the best part of the night both times I’ve done RIP was when the tour itself was over and we were going straight to the front in every line for the rest of the night (remember, you use the RIP line all night, which means you even cut in front of Express), plus popping into the buffet for the occasional snack or drink. Give yourself ample time to experience that, because if I’m being honest, the tour itself is a tad overrated. You won’t learn anything new, and while the little extras you get (Candyman/Nope last year) are cool, they’re not like, mindblowing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael S
In my opinion, get the earliest time possible. It gives you the most flexibility to use your unlimited FOL privileges, which is best experienced without needing to stop to go do your tour; finish your tour early so you can move at your own pace until the park closes.

By far the best part of the night both times I’ve done RIP was when the tour itself was over and we were going straight to the front in every line for the rest of the night (remember, you use the RIP line all night, which means you even cut in front of Express), plus popping into the buffet for the occasional snack or drink. Give yourself ample time to experience that, because if I’m being honest, the tour itself is a tad overrated. You won’t learn anything new, and while the little extras you get (Candyman/Nope last year) are cool, they’re not like, mindblowing.

This is helpful, thank you. So it seems both of you are saying the tour itself doesn’t last more than what, 3-4 hours? I can see the logic in wanting to get it out of the way, though if you have the RIP credentials all night, there’s still some flexibility there either way…