Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Tips, Tricks, & Planning | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Tips, Tricks, & Planning

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Follow-up question to the RIP stuff since I waited too long and now the early time slots are gone for my preferred date...

If I'm looking at an 8:15pm tour start, can I obtain my RIP credentials when I enter the park at event opening (7pm) and start using them for mazes immediately? What about if we invest in early entry - can we get RIP credentials starting at 5:30, which would give us *a lot* of time to knock things out?
I'm not sure how things work with this new early entry thing but when I had a later RIP time in 2019 I was able to pick up our credentials and get a maze or two done ahead of the official start time so I'm sure you'd be good to go with that. IIRC we went in right when early entry started but it's been a few years so it's a little fuzzy

Howdy folks! Long time lurker (prior to the 2 sites merging) first time posting!

Going back to the early entry ticket, I called (haven't had time to go to the park) and according to the 1 team member I spoke with, he said that if we already have a day time ticket (annual pass in my case), we do not need to buy the early entry ticket. He said they were told it will be treated like the "day/night combo". Again this is according to the 1 team member I spoke with over the phone last week.

Curious if anyone else has gotten any info on pass members already being in the park and not needing the early entry ticket.
I emailed and they told me everybody had to get the separate Early Entry ticket regardless of daytime ticket or pass status.
So it sounds like they really aren't communicating too well how its gonna work lol.

I am planning on getting a FFP, am i able to add express on to that pass?
As far as I'm aware, no. I've wanted that pretty much ever since I started getting FFPs but it's never been an option on the West Coast for whatever reason.
That said, if you go enough that your pass is already paying for itself after 2 or 3 trips, you can upgrade for the individual night and they'll consider your pass a general ticket for the night, meaning they deduct the cost of the general ticket from the express ticket so you're getting a significant discount since the general ticket is technically free for you.
Obviously that isn't viable for every night you'd potentially wanna go since thats still 50-100 dollars a night, but I did it for unlimited express on my final night last year and did not regret the discounted extra charge for it.

Reactions: ethanuniversal
Follow-up question to the RIP stuff since I waited too long and now the early time slots are gone for my preferred date...

If I'm looking at an 8:15pm tour start, can I obtain my RIP credentials when I enter the park at event opening (7pm) and start using them for mazes immediately? What about if we invest in early entry - can we get RIP credentials starting at 5:30, which would give us *a lot* of time to knock things out?
No idea how it is with early entry now that it's changed, but last year, there were definitely people who had 7pm/8pm tours that were checking in when we were, and we had the 5:10pm slot. They got their badges and a return time and they were cut loose; we went upstairs because our tour was gonna start, but I imagine they had their FOL privileges immediately. So I'd try calling the park to see if that's still the case.

Would definitely suck if you had VIP credentials and yet still had to pay for early entry.

Reactions: Clive
No idea how it is with early entry now that it's changed, but last year, there were definitely people who had 7pm/8pm tours that were checking in when we were, and we had the 5:10pm slot. They got their badges and a return time and they were cut loose; we went upstairs because our tour was gonna start, but I imagine they had their FOL privileges immediately. So I'd try calling the park to see if that's still the case.

Would definitely suck if you had VIP credentials and yet still had to pay for early entry.

I think I'll give them a call. It does not appear to include early entry unless your time is early enough, which is silly, but I can live with it if it means we get RIP express access for a few hours.

As far as I'm aware, no. I've wanted that pretty much ever since I started getting FFPs but it's never been an option on the West Coast for whatever reason.
That said, if you go enough that your pass is already paying for itself after 2 or 3 trips, you can upgrade for the individual night and they'll consider your pass a general ticket for the night, meaning they deduct the cost of the general ticket from the express ticket so you're getting a significant discount since the general ticket is technically free for you.
Obviously that isn't viable for every night you'd potentially wanna go since thats still 50-100 dollars a night, but I did it for unlimited express on my final night last year and did not regret the discounted extra charge for it.
Did you upgrade at the park or over the phone? I'm planning on getting FFP but I want to add express for the day that I go with my family who are all going to have express.

First time getting FFP, how does it work? Do they give you a physical ticket (I remember seeing something like that back in 2016 where it had Michael on it) your first night and you use that it each time you go to the event, or do you just keep the email given to you and rescan every time whenever you come on a different night?

They offer After 11PM Express starting at $75 even when express is sold out. They for sure do that but I’m not sure if they’ll let you upgrade if Express is sold out that night.
Thanks! I've never let the Express sell out before I could get it, but this year it happened. I called the park but they didn't really know one way or the other. Hoping you can do it before 11!

Following up on the RIP tour stuff-

I just spoke with someone on the VIP phone line, and the way they explained it, you *cannot* get like your RIP credentials (which grant line skipping privileges) until 30 minutes before your tour start time, so you would be out of luck and on your own until then.

So… if that’s indeed the case… there is *substantially* less value in the later tour start times. Unless I receive word that this is not how it works, I guess I will be forgoing RIP this year. Let the buyer beware.

Reactions: Jake S
Posting a quick follow-up:

Something about the phone line's response didn't pass the smell test, so I sent a detailed email to the VIP department asking about my concerns. They got back to me within the hour (!) with full clarification that you will receive (and can begin to use) your RIP credentials + benefits as soon as you enter the park. Early entry is not included, but can be added if available. So, with that in mind, I pulled the trigger on a tour! Excited to report back how it goes.

Posting a quick follow-up:

Something about the phone line's response didn't pass the smell test, so I sent a detailed email to the VIP department asking about my concerns. They got back to me within the hour (!) with full clarification that you will receive (and can begin to use) your RIP credentials + benefits as soon as you enter the park. Early entry is not included, but can be added if available. So, with that in mind, I pulled the trigger on a tour! Excited to report back how it goes.
I still wish they would clarify whether or not passholders with hhn tickets will have to pay for early entry. I keep hearing mixed answers

Reactions: April
Hi, I've never been to HHN but my family and I have been passholders about every other year for the past eight years. Currently have a Gold Pass. Never been to Halloween Horror Nights but I have been to Knott's Scary Farm several times over the years and had a Scary Farm pass in 2022.

Was thinking about getting a Frequent Fear pass for this year (not the one for every available night) and had thought that between three or four visits, I'd get to see every themed house at least once.

Had a really great experience last year at Knott's. I only went on Thursdays (maybe four different nights over the season), got there at least 45 minutes before opening, and for the most part got to 75% of the mazes I wanted to each night I was there.

I take it that Universal is making it harder to experience everything without paying for Express or VIP. Does going on an less popular night like Thursdays help much (compared to Fridays and Saturdays)? Are the crowds significantly worse than Knott's?

Hi, I've never been to HHN but my family and I have been passholders about every other year for the past eight years. Currently have a Gold Pass. Never been to Halloween Horror Nights but I have been to Knott's Scary Farm several times over the years and had a Scary Farm pass in 2022.

Was thinking about getting a Frequent Fear pass for this year (not the one for every available night) and had thought that between three or four visits, I'd get to see every themed house at least once.

Had a really great experience last year at Knott's. I only went on Thursdays (maybe four different nights over the season), got there at least 45 minutes before opening, and for the most part got to 75% of the mazes I wanted to each night I was there.

I take it that Universal is making it harder to experience everything without paying for Express or VIP. Does going on an less popular night like Thursdays help much (compared to Fridays and Saturdays)? Are the crowds significantly worse than Knott's?
I've done FF in the past but one thing to note is that with early entry, we just don't 100% know how it will work

Rumors are pass holders with tickets wont need the EE pass, but just throwing that out there

When I went it, I went three nights. Each night I started at a different maze/area and within 2 hour's had done about 3-4 mazes without waiting too long and hen I left and came back to do other mazes my next trip

If your fine with waiting in hour waits you in two trips can easily do all the mazes. I just really can't wait over 45 mins, and lived close enough where it was not a big deal. I was also going on Sunday which is a little bit busier then Thursday

I've done FF in the past but one thing to note is that with early entry, we just don't 100% know how it will work

Rumors are pass holders with tickets wont need the EE pass, but just throwing that out there

When I went it, I went three nights. Each night I started at a different maze/area and within 2 hour's had done about 3-4 mazes without waiting too long and hen I left and came back to do other mazes my next trip

If your fine with waiting in hour waits you in two trips can easily do all the mazes. I just really can't wait over 45 mins, and lived close enough where it was not a big deal. I was also going on Sunday which is a little bit busier then Thursday

Thanks for the info and the tips!

Reactions: Jerroddragon
After trying out Orlando's event for the first time last year, I've decided to give Hollywood's version a try this time. I've been trying to plan things out and I'm wondering if it's feasible to try and hit every house in one night without express. We're going on a Sunday in late September, and we all purchased early entry. I don't feel the need to spend a lot of time in the scare zones or see the shows, but I may try to do the Terror Tram. Any suggestions?

After trying out Orlando's event for the first time last year, I've decided to give Hollywood's version a try this time. I've been trying to plan things out and I'm wondering if it's feasible to try and hit every house in one night without express. We're going on a Sunday in late September, and we all purchased early entry. I don't feel the need to spend a lot of time in the scare zones or see the shows, but I may try to do the Terror Tram. Any suggestions?
It's going to be tough this year. Last year, the game plan was hit up early entry, line up for Weeknd, then Monsters, race back up to the upper lot to be up by Potter before or by 7, knock out the CG houses, Tram, Upper lot houses, then go back downstairs. This year, with three heavy-hitting IPs downstairs (TLOU, ST, and Exorcist) and the change of paying for early entry, it's going to be tough to figure out the gameplan.

If you skip shows and rides entirely, I would say its still possible. I would do the same gameplan, but risk missing out on Holidayz if you have to. The likely addition of two shows will probably help the line situation a bit being that WaterWorld will have literally double the capacity of Jabawockeez and the 3D show should likely run continuously.