Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 86 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but does it bug anyone else that they begin ticket sales with only one official house announced? It really bothers me when I don't even know what I'm about to fork over money for. I know it's been like this the last few years, but didn't they used to have everything announced before ticket sales began?

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but does it bug anyone else that they begin ticket sales with only one official house announced? It really bothers me when I don't even know what I'm about to fork over money for. I know it's been like this the last few years, but didn't they used to have everything announced before ticket sales began?

Not really--honestly I kind of wish it was out in March like Orlando does.

I think I brought this up last year

Yeah, I wish they would and won't argue isn't not a bad idea. The only saving grace is most tickets don't sell out until much later by the time all the houses are announced

Reactions: Jake S
Been stewing on USH with B&T and a thought rings to mind:

what if Universal in general was looking at the GP reception to The Hanging: Uncancelled, and the merchandising element; and looked to B&T as a byproduct? Regardless of show quality; one has to wonder if they're looking at B&T (especially if it actually is in Hollywood ontop of Orlando) as a element of maximizing merchandising potential with the Wyld Stallyns.

It has been 10 years too, so time has passed to where I think this could work depending on who they got for the writing team (plus the less I have to avoid of Purge, the better).

what if Universal in general was looking at the GP reception to The Hanging: Uncancelled, and the merchandising element; and looked to B&T as a byproduct? Regardless of show quality; one has to wonder if they're looking at B&T (especially if it actually is in Hollywood ontop of Orlando) as a element of maximizing merchandising potential with the Wyld Stallyns.

It has been 10 years too, so time has passed to where I think this could work depending on who they got for the writing team (plus the less I have to avoid of Purge, the better).

I do remember when The Hanging was announced last year, a LOT of KSF fans took particular pride in bragging about "HHN would NEVER with Bill and Ted".. maybe someone from USH was listening to those claims?

I think enough time has passed to where no one is really going to remember it. Can’t believe it’s been a little over 10 years since it got canceled! Crazy how time flies!

If they can bring back the Hanging, why not Bill and Ted? I don’t really see how much “better” Harold and Kumar would be anyway.

The crazy thing is the reason the Bill & Ted show got canceled was not even for it actually being as offensive as it was perceived to be by all the journalists who never even saw the show, picked up the story, and just ran with it to make it sound worse than it actually was. At this point, I don't even care if people remember it or not, the show never should've been canceled in the first place (rewritten, sure, because regardless that year was a stinker).

I understand the need to fill the void and Jabba became the go-to, but for it to be the replacement for THAT LONG was insulting. I firmly stand by the Bill and Ted show did nothing wrong, should've never been canceled (at most, rewritten), should've returned the following year, and if not, then at the very latest 2 years later. It is BEYOND time for it to come back and the dust is long settled.

To be fair, the 2013 show WAS rewritten & tweaked. I remember the last full show video I watched (ironically the day it was announced being canceled), I found the show to be so much better, funnier & flow just right. The cast worked hard for that improvement (still regret not downloading a copy). Back in 2018, I was chatting with some of the Waterworld cast who had been in the 2013 B&T show that year about it (while we were running down to the Lower Lot for the Stranger Things "lights-on walk-through").

I still remember sitting in Finnegan's with my drink waiting to be released into the wild fog when my friend text me saying Hollywood had pulled the plug on the show. I was so upset. Later when talking to the cast of Orlando's show, we ALMOST lost it in 2013 too but because it was completely different, it was spared from the "cancel culture gods".

After 2012's show, of course you guys are going to think the 2013 show wasn't great or needed a major rewrite. 2012 was perfection, unlike Orlando's 2012 show. 2013 was Orlando's redemption show lol

Despite being like 2009's Phil "the ultimate fanboy" & dream of the Wyld Stallyns return... I remember I wasn't loving B&T3 as much as I had hoped (and curious about the 4th movie, which is in creation according to Alex Winter). So it'd take a really strong team to pull off a good Waterworld venue show (that wouldn't require day-ops disruption since Waterworld is the park's ONLY show now). I'm not getting my hopes up of the show coming back on either coast.

And again, I'm going to defend 2013's show. If you only saw it opening weekend & not mid-event when canceled, you missed out. Opening weekend looked like a "rough draft" compared to its untimely final weekend mid-october version.

The crazy thing is the reason the Bill & Ted show got canceled was not even for it actually being as offensive as it was perceived to be by all the journalists who never even saw the show, picked up the story, and just ran with it to make it sound worse than it actually was. At this point, I don't even care if people remember it or not, the show never should've been canceled in the first place (rewritten, sure, because regardless that year was a stinker).
I realize this is like whack a mole, but this is still not true. The show did offend people, whether or not you think they 'count.'

It also was regularly unfunny, whether or not it was offensive. There's absolutely room in comedy for edgy, even offensive, content. But I remain deeply skeptical that writers with that kind of talent are penning scripts for a seasonal theme park show designed for a wide audience. It's fundamentally different than a standup special living on a streaming service.

(The Hanging has also always stunk, which is why Knott's feels it has to lean into culture war garbage, but hey! Different story!)

I understand the need to fill the void and Jabba became the go-to, but for it to be the replacement for THAT LONG was insulting. I firmly stand by the Bill and Ted show did nothing wrong, should've never been canceled (at most, rewritten), should've returned the following year, and if not, then at the very latest 2 years later. It is BEYOND time for it to come back and the dust is long settled.

I mean…rape jokes are wrong.

*sigh* so anyway, tomorrow is B&T day! Woo..

Now that THAT reminder is out of the way, I'm kinda hoping we get another announcement this week.. I'd hazard a guess they'd just want to knock out the other 3 shared IPs so Midsummer can be Hollywood exclusive hype

I'm also on the "never really found B&T or The Hanging" particularity good. Sure, a few jokes will land, but for every one that did, maybe 10 didn't. And I'm not really into "bashing" humor unless it's exceptionally well done... which the majority of those shows aren't.

There were a few saving graces for B&T... the energy of the cast was always great, the dance numbers were entertaining, and it was a place to sit for about an hour. That was enough for me to see it at least once each year... but not really the script.

Also, while I only got to see Orlando's B&T once (the final year), something else that helped their show that Hollywood's never had was circus-style acts in-between the sketches. That way, even if the sketches bombed, you could still be entertained with other acts. Kinda makes me wonder why Hollywood never leaned into that. Even Knott's is going that route.

Last edited:
I'm also on the "never really found B&T or The Hanging" particularity good. Sure, a few jokes will land, but for everyone that did, maybe 10 didn't. And I'm not really into "bashing" humor unless it's exceptionally well done... which the majority of those shows aren't.

There were a few saving graces for B&T... the energy of the cast was always great, the dance numbers were entertaining, and it was a place to sit for about an hour. That was enough for me to see it at least once each year... but not really the script.

Also, while I only got to see Orlando's B&T once (the final year), something else that helped their show that Hollywood's never had was circus-style acts in-between the sketches. That way, even if the sketches bombed, you could still be entertained with other acts. Kinda makes me wonder why Hollywood never leaned into that. Even Knott's is going that route.
The hanging was back at Knotts and the crowd was rough for them…you can tell the old dumb jokes didn’t land, but the well written jokes did!

Yeah, this is a great point. I think something like Nightmare Fuel would be a great fit in Hollywood precisely because of the great energy. I mean, I have no idea where they’d put it! But still.

Reactions: Allison and Clive
Might be a weird opinion but I feel like B&T and shows like it have had their days numbered for the better part of a decade now, even ignoring the bad taste jokes. Not only is the pop culture cycle too fast nowadays to consistently write funny jokes for months ahead of time, liking low ball edgy jokes is something people tend to grow out of a lot faster now that you can easily access as much of that as you want on functionally any social media or video platform you want, who is going to a halloween event to watch a show with references at best 3 months out of date with low hanging fruit humor mostly only enjoyed by teens who could get hours of that exact content instantly on youtube or twitter or tiktok at home?
It's easy to harbor nostalgia for these shows because they are by design a time capsule of when they came out, but especially in a social media age, physical performance feats like live stunts or dancing are gonna be more of a draw for people because theyre the kind of thing that's especially impressive to see happen in front of you, reference humor really just kinda isnt suited for that format anymore.

This is purely an Orlando experience, but I think the point of it still works for the current discussion:

I started going to HHN in 2015, and I had fond memories of B&T through the three years I saw it, always remembering it as being funny. Recently I've gone back and rewatched videos of the shows and realizing... Yeah a lot of the jokes were either in terrible taste or just didn't land at all. And as stated a plethora amount of times now, with how fast things go nowadays, I'm really not sure how well it would work (if at all).

Y'know what I think could work perfectly tho? Go all in with the rock 'n' roll theme of B&T with live singers and dance numbers, while still including some fun pop culture jokes that can be changed on the daily, just like how Graveyard Revue was! Bill & Ted's Excellent Reunion Tour Revue, there you go.

Reactions: KlownzNskullZ
Status
Not open for further replies.