Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 45 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It is not a King house.

It is not a King year.

It's just how I see it. Although yes, it's not an actual King house, it's using a film that loosely uses it's King story in way's. Now, some may see that as flawed; but until IT comes around for Horror Nights, that is the mindset that I am in right now.

That being said, I am excited to see how the Kubrick classic is tackled, and that I am interested to see if there may be nods to King in a way in The Shining itself, while staying true to the original film itself.

Also, one would assume that with a film like Shining, they'll use a controlled setting like one of the Soundstages, right?

I, too, have been hedging as to whether or not I should overlook this year's event, but it looks like I'll probably end up attending for my 14th year. I'm hopeful that my favorite icon, the Caretaker, shows up in some form this year.
I know, I know. Totally patting myself on the back here, but I thought I was being clever. ;)

Anyway, I am absolutely thrilled that the Shining is coming to HHN! One of the very few horror properties remaining that really excite me as far as seeing its' translation to a haunted attraction. Can't wait!

It's just how I see it. Although yes, it's not an actual King house, it's using a film that loosely uses it's King story in way's. Now, some may see that as flawed; but until IT comes around for Horror Nights, that is the mindset that I am in right now.

That being said, I am excited to see how the Kubrick classic is tackled, and that I am interested to see if there may be nods to King in a way in The Shining itself, while staying true to the original film itself.

Also, one would assume that with a film like Shining, they'll use a controlled setting like one of the Soundstages, right?

I wasn't singling out your opinion. I was addressing the people thinking this was going to be a year with King IP's.

Just as an FYI - Stephen King hates the movie. Notice the email makes no mention of King?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: anihilnation
Murdy said that he was going to announce a house early May so hopefully so both coasts do and it's probably going to be The Shining. I just hope that they do it justice.

The Shinning confirmed.

So if the Shining is confirmed, I'm gonna need a shirt with Groundskeeper Willie saying "The Shinning".

In regards to Shining!Movie vs. Shining!Miniseries, while I wish they could've went with the property that incorporated King's vision more the film is way too iconic (which everyone knows). I wonder if we'll get an Overlook facade like this?

latest

Reactions: hishedale
They are going to base houses on movies not books... Despite which you prefer I'd be willing to wager many many many more people have seen the movie than have read the book or seen the miniseries, and yes there are huge differences, but they are not completely unrelated it's mostly the same story. Any future King houses will also probably be based on movies rather than books.

I think that just makes sense.

Any future King houses will also probably be based on movies rather than books.

Honestly, I think it does not come down to familiarity so much as rights. King was a young and hungry writer when "The Shining" was made into a movie, so most likely he signed over a lot of rights. Since he hated that adaptation, he has guarded his work vehemently and been able to block haunted houses based on his works from coming into fruition. I have to imagine, from a contractual standpoint, he became smart enough to make sure this sort of thing could not happen AFTER he got burned by that one deal. After all, it reads as if Universal and Warner Brothers are bypassing him entirely in the making of this house, so it is probably something they are doing without his blessing, but within the boundaries of the law.

They are going to base houses on movies not books... Despite which you prefer I'd be willing to wager many many many more people have seen the movie than have read the book or seen the miniseries, and yes there are huge differences, but they are not completely unrelated it's mostly the same story. Any future King houses will also probably be based on movies rather than books.

I think that just makes sense.

Houses are a visual medium so it makes sense to base it around the visual representation of the story.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Honestly, I think it does not come down to familiarity so much as rights. King was a young and hungry writer when "The Shining" was made into a movie, so most likely he signed over a lot of rights. Since he hated that adaptation, he has guarded his work vehemently and been able to block haunted houses based on his works from coming into fruition. I have to imagine, from a contractual standpoint, he became smart enough to make sure this sort of thing could not happen AFTER he got burned by that one deal. After all, it reads as if Universal and Warner Brothers are bypassing him entirely in the making of this house, so it is probably something they are doing without his blessing, but within the boundaries of the law.

This is where, as someone who REALLY wants to see this house happen, I am concerned that even after an official announcement King could step in and block the house via some small loophole. I want to believe that Universal's legal team would make dang sure that couldn't happen, but the loss of the Scream house two years ago is still fresh in my mind.

Reactions: kingcooger