Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021) | Page 119 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see it as a future use, there’s other companies do some really good horror anthology or horror series a little bit better and worthy of a chance.
I’m on episode (5?) it’s good but seems like they studied every Jordan Peele movie and ran with it. The setting and cinematography of the show is fantastic.

Yeah but they don’t have horror properties like Shudder or Crypttv which honestly are much better choices for Universal to use.
This is assuming “horror-ness” is a priority for Universal. Popularity and recognition are far more important. Creepshow is happening because of the movie’s recognition. If it was strictly a Shudder series with no movie, it’s unlikely we would even see it this year.

ooops, yes.
I personally have yet to see it but I can’t see it coming to HHN as a lot of the show deals with a lot of themes about racism and, in a similar sense to why The Invisible Man shouldn’t come to the event, I don’t see Universal wanting to include anything that focuses that heavily on discrimination as its horror. It would be risky and possibly come with backlash.

This is assuming “horror-ness” is a priority for Universal. Popularity and recognition are far more important. Creepshow is happening because of the movie’s recognition. If it was strictly a Shudder series with no movie, it’s unlikely we would even see it this year.
Which I’m fine with, but Creepshow was a movie first and show second, I’m fine with either or but they knew they needed the show to fill in for what they couldn’t do with the film as a house which worked. As for horror nights going for popularity and recognition they’ve done good with it, some stuff is sorta a head scratch at times like Doomsday and Horror of Blumhouse 2 but it is what it is, it’s just an event and the business behind it that makes it run which is important and brings the ips in. It’s just my opinion I think Hill House is just a one hit wonder ip.

Last edited:
Reactions: londonwerecat
ooops, yes.
I personally have yet to see it but I can’t see it coming to HHN as a lot of the show deals with a lot of themes about racism and, in a similar sense to why The Invisible Man shouldn’t come to the event, I don’t see Universal wanting to include anything that focuses that heavily on discrimination as its horror. It would be risky and possibly come with backlash.

When it comes to properties to make into house, I would put "Them" firmly in the "Do not touch with a ten foot pole" category. The subject matter is very racially charged, and the show is under quite a bit of controversy due to some very "what were you thinking?!" kind of scenes. It's a big NO.

When it comes to properties to make into house, I would put "Them" firmly in the "Do not touch with a ten foot pole" category. The subject matter is very racially charged, and the show is under quite a bit of controversy due to some very "what were you thinking?!" kind of scenes. It's a big NO.
I agree, This film would be placed on the list next to Get Out and a few others films that they don’t wanna touch for certain reasons as houses.

Additionally, there's been a ton of backlash on the show about how the subject matter was handled by Lena Waithe, its getting mediocre reviews, and some are saying that it feels like a ripoff of Jordan Peele done worse. This show has more controversies than Amazon expected and I can see the show being shoved under the rug in upcoming years.

Is it ironic that we're discussing Uni not using racially charged films, yet they just did Us as a house? Or is it because the racial POV was subtler in Us?

Last edited:
Is it ironic that we're discussing Uni not using racially charged films, yet they just did Us as a house? Or is it because the racial POV was more subtle in Us?
US is not really a racially charged film, Jordan Peele has even said as much. He said "I feel like it proves a very valid and different point than Get Out, which is, not everything is about race." and also "It’s important to me that we can tell black stories without it being about race." It deals with some themes of black identity and racial commentary but it isn't the focus, whereas Them's horror and plot deals entirely with racism and discrimination.

Well I was looking forward to watching this show - kind of re-thinking that now.

With everything people are saying though, yes - this should come nowhere near HHN.

I can't really speak so much for that film it was something they wanted to do or higher ups wanted them to do to promote the film, they sometimes don't have say for what ips they can and can't do and I'm sure Jordan thought it would make greatly as house, I'm sure they went in for just part of the concept of the dopplegangers attacking and the "concept" of your own doppleganger chasing through the house because of the reflections or something like that, idk the concept was very weird for that house but they were only sticking certain parts of the film and selective audio, also Jordan Peele worked on both house and maze for the event, so I'm sure they manage to figure out a way to differ the experience in the house and the movie while keeping the intensity to make it scary and not racially charged or something, they wouldn't be able to do something like this with his film Get Out since majority of that films story is a bit iffy to really get around without pointing certain things that would people upset about that house.

Last edited:
Moving a conversation from the US(HHN29) forum to here because it fits better lol.

I think the thing with HHN is that although we know a lot of their tricks, it's moreso how they use these tricks to improve their story or scare you. You can't be too critical on it, its best to go into houses with a clearhead and a non-judgmental eye and just enjoy the ride (or so I've been told). ;) To enjoy HHN, you gotta just enjoy the vibe of the event. Don't be too critical or else you'll find flaws with every house. You'll like what you like, dislike what you dislike, but in the end you'll leave having had fun because you let yourself have fun. It's a giant Halloween party, after all, not high-class cinema. So go as a guest, not a critic. That's my philosophy anyways.

Moving a conversation from the US(HHN29) forum to here because it fits better lol.

I think the thing with HHN is that although we know a lot of their tricks, it's moreso how they use these tricks to improve their story or scare you. You can't be too critical on it, its best to go into houses with a clearhead and a non-judgmental eye and just enjoy the ride (or so I've been told).
the concept for Tooth and Brides were good and sorta lacked, I think they're alright, they were the best they had offer us last year, but looking at em and the rest of the lineup, me personally I think these might fall sorta by the way even though Brides or Creepshow will be top billing this year alongside Beetlejuice, I don't see Texas being used in the marketing but stuff has happened in the past so who knows. People that wanted the Gremlins, well they got Tooth Fairy lol as for the stories, they are pretty much just cut and dry what they are since they gave em to us.

Reactions: londonwerecat
the concept for Tooth and Brides were good and sorta lacked, I think they're alright, they were the best they had offer us last year, but looking at em and the rest of the lineup, me personally I think these might fall sorta by the way even though Brides or Creepshow will be top billing this year alongside Beetlejuice, I don't see Texas being used in the marketing but stuff has happened in the past so who knows. People that wanted the Gremlins, well they got Tooth Fairy lol as for the stories, they are pretty much just cut and dry what they are since they gave em to us.
I think the concept for Tooth and Brides were pretty strong and very well presented. Also, I think TCM will have some sorta marketing appearance, maybe not in the same capacity as the IPs you listed though.

I think the concept for Tooth and Brides were pretty strong and very well presented. Also, I think TCM will have some sorta marketing appearance, maybe not in the same capacity as the IPs you listed though.
Strong but generic at best, they did what they could do, not knocking on the writing team for trying their best. This year though like I said before, has a lot of big contenders. As for Lagoon Show, nothing.

We’re there any rumors what the lagoon show would be like?
I'm more interested in this question being answered than anything else right now. Marathon of Mayhem was my favorite aspect of 29...and there were some really good houses there. So anything that comes close to that lagoon show in quality would really appeal to me. Icons would be great. Hard to do "best of" houses because you'd have to try and get IP contracts done again for the scenes and music, so I don't see that happening. They could just copy Mayhem and incorporate TCM, Hill House, Beetlejuice, and Creepshow as the 4 core films - though outside of Beetlejuice the music from those 4 aren't as strong/known as Ghostbusters, Killer Klowns, and Stranger Things. But I'm confident they will do a great job nonetheless.

I'm more interested in this question being answered than anything else right now. Marathon of Mayhem was my favorite aspect of 29...and there were some really good houses there. So anything that comes close to that lagoon show in quality would really appeal to me. Icons would be great. Hard to do "best of" houses because you'd have to try and get IP contracts done again for the scenes and music, so I don't see that happening. They could just copy Mayhem and incorporate TCM, Hill House, Beetlejuice, and Creepshow as the 4 core films - though outside of Beetlejuice the music from those 4 aren't as strong/known as Ghostbusters, Killer Klowns, and Stranger Things. But I'm confident they will do a great job nonetheless.
They could easily pull off another Directors Cut from 16 if they wanted to and give a bit of focused to the icons as for another Marathon of Mayhem, they’re not gonna top 29’s I think they’re aware of that.

I feel that while the music aspect of the lagoon show this year may be weaker, I have high hopes that the visible aspect may be stronger! Beetlejuice and Creepshow are can lend very well to having colorful segments, Hill House and Beetlejuice could lend well to projections, and TCM could be presented as a return of a horror icon, almost right before a big finish. Throwing some Icons in there couldn't hurt them either. I feel like this year's lagoon show will be pretty great, maybe equal to last years. Better in visuals since those can always be improved with lagoon shows, but maybe worse in music. They'll have to heavily rely on iconic sound effects or lines (think the shutter clicks from TCM making some appearance) which could make up for it.

Reactions: JJ591
Status
Not open for further replies.