Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021) | Page 85 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really started to see just how ugly the community can be when Stranger Things came to the event. Seeing people complain only because kids were at the event. Not that they were causing a ruckus, being a distraction, etc. Just the fact that they were there.

And if you would even suggest that it really isn't a big deal, you would get the patented "you don't know how great HHN used to be"
And those arguments were garbage too, and largely came from the same people who came for Eilish.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I really started to see just how ugly the community can be when Stranger Things came to the event. Seeing people complain only because kids were at the event. Not that they were causing a ruckus, being a distraction, etc. Just the fact that they were there.

And if you would even suggest that it really isn't a big deal, you would get the patented "you don't know how great HHN used to be"
It actually started back further than that...I would say post icon years it really got bad

Name one time that's happened at HHN, where the conservative is the problem and not what they create. I dare you.

I'll go one step further and say that every time I'm aware of that content has been changed to placate an ideology, it's been to placate the politically or religiously conservative, IE changing the GOD mask to DOG in the Purge, toning down the religious imagery in The Fallen, the voodoo queen mini show, and on and on.
I'm just saying, if Billie came out again Universal Healthcare or something else, ya'll would be real quiet lol

It actually started back further than that...I would say post icon years it really got bad

I'm just saying, if Billie came out again Universal Healthcare or something else, ya'll would be real quiet lol

This is an extremely stupid take.

Political affiliation ≠ Misogyny/Toxic Fandom. Both sides have their share of a-holes and to whittle it down to this crap after your previous post to @Allison undermines your sincerity.

Now considering we've told you time and time again to watch it. Consider this last warning. The next one is a ban.

I would argue that we're past the point where the dismissal is unintentional. On an individual basis, if we're being super super charitable, maybe someone could be that one in a million, but as a group? That ship has long past sailed.
I don’t disagree on that.

Here’s what it boils down to. Misogyny is an issue in the HHN community. The sexual harassment and assault performers have suffered is rooted in misogyny. The backlash against strong women-led franchises and IPs is rooted in misogyny. The clamoring for scantily clad women, the out of character stalking some women have to deal with from fans, the expectations that victims should be women are all rooted in misogyny. And, yes, horror is, historically, a misogynistic genre (gratuitous nudity). But that has never made it okay, and doesn’t excuse horror fans of it either. If anything, the history requires a brighter light to be shined on the issues because history is often (an atrocious) justification.

People never want to accept they’re misogynistic, even while supporting actions and beliefs rooted in it. People will present every argument they can to ignore that misogyny is the root. People will present every excuse they can to not think about the issues because the discussion makes them uncomfortable. But that discomfort is the POINT. If the conversation makes a person uncomfortable, think about why it’s uncomfortable. If the immediate response is to dismiss or defend, think about why that is the go to response.

Society has ingrained misogyny (and other discriminations) into almost every aspect of our culture. So, chances are, there is going to be something about ourselves we don’t like. But, as they say, the first step is admitting there’s a problem. Shifting the problem to a different avenue of discussion doesn’t actually help. It silences.

Last edited:

The whole "you don't know how great HHN used to be" thing has always just been really silly to me. Its as if people dont realize that their first experience with the event is obviously gonna be biased towards it being better just by virtue of it being the first time they experienced it. I've never really gotten how that sect of the fanbase is just so oblivious to the fact that aging and attending the event more often is naturally gonna make it feel less special. You'd think if anything people would encourage newcomers so more people can have that same experience of their first HHN without having to worry about people telling them however much better it was in whatever year they started in.

I don’t disagree on that.

Here’s what it boils down to. Misogyny is an issue in the HHN community. The sexual harassment and assault performers have suffered is rooted in misogyny. The backlash against strong women-led franchises and IPs is rooted in misogyny. The clamoring for scantily clad women, the out of character stalking some women have to deal with from fans, the expectations that victims should be women are all rooted in misogyny. And, yes, horror is, historically, a misogynistic genre (gratuitous nudity).But that has never made it okay, and doesn’t excuse horror fans of it other. If anything, the history requires a brighter light to be shined on the issues because history is often (an atrocious) justification.

People never want to accept they’re misogynistic, even while supporting actions and beliefs rooted in it. People will present every argument they can to ignore that misogyny is the root. People will present every excuse they can to not think about the issues because the discussion makes them uncomfortable. But that discomfort is the POINT. If the conversation makes a person uncomfortable, think about why it’s uncomfortable. If the immediate response is to dismiss or defend, think about why that is the go to response.

Society has ingrained misogyny (and other discriminations) into almost every aspect of our culture. So, chances are, there is going to be something about ourselves we don’t like. But, as they say, the first step is admitting there’s a problem. Shifting the problem to a different avenue of discussion doesn’t actually help. It silences.
exactly this. well said.

Just wanted to make a few points:

I'm glad y'all are coming to this forum to discuss HHN; that your love of something drove you to get involved in this community to discuss the event with other fellow nerds. Despite our efforts to control the discussions on HHN - we control it to make the conversation as broad as possible to all levels of the fandom; from rookies to pros, from occasional visitors to the "every year" crowd. It's never been about anything else other than that.

As @Legacy pointed out, misogyny does exist. I've seen actors, specifically female actors, get abused by guests verbally and physically. None of us want to see anyone deal with that.

And @Allison 's story and post weren't meant to paint all anti-Billie haunt takes as misogynists, either - but merely pointing out it exists. For example, Vanity Ball had a lot of opposition because "gay" when that shouldn't be criteria for rating a zone. That doesn't mean if you didn't like Vanity Ball, you were anti-LGBTQ+, but that also doesn't negate the fact that there are those people who exist and add to the toxicity.

I mean, look at this site. The ratio of male to female is very skewed. (Side note: I've been meaning to add additional options of gender beyond Male or Female, but the forum software only allows "Other". I'll look again to see if I can add more.)

Point is - I really don't care if you're on the left or right, rookie or a pro, an insider or a newbie. All I care about is not being an a-hole to other people.

Just wanted to make a few points:

I'm glad y'all are coming to this forum to discuss HHN; that your love of something drove you to get involved in this community to discuss the event with other fellow nerds. Despite our efforts to control the discussions on HHN - we control it to make the conversation as broad as possible to all levels of the fandom; from rookies to pros, from occasional visitors to the "every year" crowd. It's never been about anything else other than that.

As @Legacy pointed out, misogyny does exist. I've seen actors, specifically female actors, get abused by guests verbally and physically. None of us want to see anyone deal with that.

And @Allison 's story and post weren't meant to paint all anti-Billie haunt takes as misogynists, either - but merely pointing out it exists. For example, Vanity Ball had a lot of opposition because "gay" when that shouldn't be criteria for rating a zone. That doesn't mean if you didn't like Vanity Ball, you were anti-LGBTQ+, but that also doesn't negate the fact that there are those people who exist and add to the toxicity.

I mean, look at this site. The ratio of male to female is very skewed. (Side note: I've been meaning to add additional options of gender beyond Male or Female, but the forum software only allows "Other". I'll look again to see if I can add more.)

Point is - I really don't care if you're on the left or right, rookie or a pro, an insider or a newbie. All I care about is not being an a-hole to other people.
As much as I enjoy a good rumble, your modding - even when I'm on the pointy end of it - is why I stick to this forum and no other for theme park discussion. Good on you.

I'm glad none of these people ever saw me when I was insanely lucky enough to go a couple times back in the day. I was 11 and 13.

I'm glad none of these people ever saw me when I was insanely lucky enough to go a couple times back in the day. I was 11 and 13.
Like I said before, most of us started going when we were kids.

HHN exists to make money and entertain and they're really not concerned with sticking to one particular group....luckily

To piggy back off of this as someone who has worked the event 5 times now, I see it every year with females. It doesn't matter if this is their first or they're an HHN veteran. Harassment of female scareactors happens all the time, ESPECIALLY if they are in the streets.

As the event keeps getting longer and longer and this happens to them (it happens to men too, but much less often), the mental toll it takes on them is huge and the conversations you have about it while on break are some conversations I know i'll probably never forget. I've seen women literally quit on multiple occasions because they knew that coming into work meant basically coming in to be sexually harassed each and every day because of their costume and role.

I've been in the streets twice as a scareactor and you have basically three jobs while out there 1. Scare safely, 2. Watch the stilt to make sure drunk guests don't knock them off balance and 3. Watch and protect the females in the cast to make sure guests aren't getting grabby or if they are to alert management. For whatever reason, when some people buy a ticket to HHN, they seem to think that they own the whole park and that scareactors are just toys for them to play with. I know the majority aren't like that, but there's a solid group that are that have that toxicity problem.

To piggy back off of this as someone who has worked the event 5 times now, I see it every year with females. It doesn't matter if this is their first or they're an HHN veteran. Harassment of female scareactors happens all the time, ESPECIALLY if they are in the streets.

As the event keeps getting longer and longer and this happens to them (it happens to men too, but much less often), the mental toll it takes on them is huge and the conversations you have about it while on break are some conversations I know i'll probably never forget. I've seen women literally quit on multiple occasions because they knew that coming into work meant basically coming in to be sexually harassed each and every day because of their costume.

I've been in the streets twice as a scareactor and on you I have basically three jobs while out there 1. Scare safely, 2. Watch the stilt to make sure drunk guests don't knock them off balance and 3. Watch and protect the females in the cast to make sure guests aren't getting grabby or if they are to alert management. For whatever reason, when some people buy a ticket to HHN, they seem to think that they own the whole park and that scareactors are just toys for them to play with. I know the majority aren't like that, but there's a solid group that are that have that toxicity problem.

I'll never forget seeing some teens (doesn't matter that they were teens, behavior would be equally as reprehensible if they were 30-somethings or 50-somehtings) rub their hands all over and hit a couple of the Klownz. I remember saying (to the Klownz) "put 'em in cocoons!"

As the event keeps getting longer and longer and this happens to them (it happens to men too, but much less often), the mental toll it takes on them is huge and the conversations you have about it while on break are some conversations I know i'll probably never forget. I've seen women literally quit on multiple occasions because they knew that coming into work meant basically coming in to be sexually harassed each and every day because of their costume and role.

I've been in the streets twice as a scareactor and on you I have basically three jobs while out there 1. Scare safely, 2. Watch the stilt to make sure drunk guests don't knock him off balance and 3. Watch and protect the females in the cast to make sure guests aren't getting grabby or if they are to alert management. For whatever reason, when some people buy a ticket to HHN, they seem to think that they own the whole park and that scareactors are just toys for them to play with. I know the majority aren't like that, but there's a solid group that are that have that toxicity problem.

All of this holds true for Hollywood, too. Worse still, the situation has in the past gotten so bad that management has been disinclined to place women in street roles. It's that bad.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Allison
We could swap out Billy with Purity Ring and check most of the same boxes. Except the millions of fans thing. Guess that’s why I’m not in marketing.

All of this holds true for Hollywood, too. Worse still, the situation has in the past gotten so bad that management has been disinclined to place women in street roles. It's that bad.
It's especially true in hollywood, I've only been going since 2013 and I've seen way too many people mistreating the scareactors, like in the last few years ive seen tons and tons of people shining their phone lights directly into their eyes, and I've seen two separate occassions where guests have straight up grabbed actors by the wrists completely unprovoked, and thats only occassions I've personally witnessed. It was probably slightly less bad back when we were a dry event, but theres just something that triggers in the minds of some guests that makes them completely dehumanize performers who mostly only do what they do out of the love of doing it. Makes me absolutely sick how often it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.