Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 248 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Concerning IP leaks and the like, it's less about trust and more about a major announcement falling flat. It's far better to have the world (target audience is more accurate) talking about your new "fill in the blank" at the same time. If you break certain ceilings, other media sources will piggyback on the big news, exacerbating the impact, and without additional spending in advertising. A complete fumble can lead to headlines that have an adverse effect on your message. "Worst Kept Secret trailer dropped" type headlines. I majored in Marketing, if it matters.

Hollywood people can be so entitled and pissy. I get that you want to have as much control over your IP as possible (which, that's fair). However, once you get paid for the right to use said IP in a massive Halloween haunt with a well known rabid fan base, you have to expect that sometimes things are going to happen. People talk.. not just here but in every industry. It's part of life. You simply have to work through it and figure out the best plan to make the most of it. Frankly, these people/companies that have pulled out of the event completely because some random fans figured out what was going on before they were ready to tell.. well, that's just childish and short-sighted. Further, it actually casts a negative light on the IP in my eyes, and I'm sure i'm not the only one.
I mean the number of people aware of rumored houses is low compared to the general public. We're a fraction of fraction of a fraction of the HHN fanbase.

I mean the number of people aware of rumored houses is low compared to the general public. We're a fraction of fraction of a fraction of the HHN fanbase.
We may be but when we find out about a rumor leak we will post it everywhere and let as many people as we can know that we know.

Hollywood people can be so entitled and pissy. I get that you want to have as much control over your IP as possible (which, that's fair). However, once you get paid for the right to use said IP in a massive Halloween haunt with a well known rabid fan base, you have to expect that sometimes things are going to happen. People talk.. not just here but in every industry. It's part of life. You simply have to work through it and figure out the best plan to make the most of it. Frankly, these people/companies that have pulled out of the event completely because some random fans figured out what was going on before they were ready to tell.. well, that's just childish and short-sighted. Further, it actually casts a negative light on the IP in my eyes, and I'm sure i'm not the only one.

This is not an accurate statement at all.

Let me give a loooong winded example with COMPLETELY MADE UP INFO.

Lets say this is what Ghostbusters Frozen Empire's drumbeat plans for the movie are. The goal, is to have awareness of the movie/IP and to have it making a constant impression on people.

Week 1 - unveil teaser trailer during Superbowl
Week 4 - key actors appear on Today Show and the the first trailer is released
Week 8 - Slimer Happy Meal Toys released
Week 10 - Funko Pops released
Week 11 - Second trailer dropped
Week 11.5 - Paid adds with google
Week 12 - Exclusive Walmart 18" Slimer Funko released
Week 13 - Novelization released
Week 14 - Movie Premiers
Week 18 - Universal Orlando Parade and Lagoon Show Announced
Week 19 - UNPLANNED HHN LEAKS SHOW UP
Week 20 - Target Exclusive action figure line released
Week 22 - PVOD Streaming Date released
Week 25 - PVOD live
Week 26 - Physical Blu-Ray / 4K release date announced
Week 28 - Physical Release date plus HHN Tie In announced
Week 30 - Cavity Colors clothing line released
Week 32 - Halloween Costumes released
Week 40 - Halmark Exclusive X-Mas ornament announced
Week 42 - Ornament Released

That is a big plan, custom designed for the IP to be constantly brought to the public's attention. There are exclusivity agreements in there. There are KPIs and goals and stuff that expected to be met at every milestone. If any one of those partners !@#$% up the plan, it's a big deal. And if they want to punish someone for breaking the deal, that's their right as you can guarantee that the HHN release info is NDA'd and embargoed and that's why it wasn't announced at the same time as the parade and stuff.

It's not just someone getting their panties all bunched up and being vindictive, it is a breakdown in a carefully orchestrated plan. And while HHN didn't announce the info, by their lack of confidentiality and protecting the secret, they're still to blame. Week 20, they're expecting #GBFE to be about the new exclusive figures to be trending, but why are a ton of the posts using the hashtag talking about our IP appearing at HHN which isn't supposed to be announced for 9 more weeks??? That's a problem.

No. No it’s not.
No? Things get leaked, talked about, rumored, etc, ad nauseum throughout all of entertainment. It's part of the business, and it's a healthy sign of an extremely devout following. You're telling me that a pair of loose lips will derail months and months of planning and exorbant amounts of money spent on promoting said plan? If that were true, how do you explain Universal being able to consistently get big IPs every year, even though we figure out ahead of time what they are, every single year? The fact that someone on a forum thinks they yield that much power is an indication they may need to pick up an extra hobby or two, lol

So if the leaks are a huge problem…

And no one knows where the leaks come from….

How does the IP holder determine the leaks came from universal and not from inside their own company?

These early leaks are typically nothing more than “IP house rumored at HHN this year.”

That could come from anyone in the chain, including the IP holder.

Also, as an aside, weird Al wrote his Star Wars phantom menace song based almost entirely off internet rumors prior to the movie being released.

Pretty cool when you listen to how accurate it was. The guy is a genius. I’d love a weird Al house (if he was involved). Trippy.

No? Things get leaked, talked about, rumored, etc, ad nauseum throughout all of entertainment. It's part of the business, and it's a healthy sign of an extremely devout following. You're telling me that a pair of loose lips will derail months and months of planning and exorbant amounts of money spent on promoting said plan? If that were true, how do you explain Universal being able to consistently get big IPs every year, even though we figure out ahead of time what they are, every single year? The fact that someone on a forum thinks they yield that much power is an indication they may need to pick up an extra hobby or two, lol
I disagree highly and think it’s the exact opposite. It is 100% about trust imo. Trusting your property in someone else’s hands(Universal in this case)

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I disagree highly and think it’s the exact opposite. It is 100% about trust imo. Trusting your property in someone else’s hands(Universal in this case)
You didn't answer my question. Fact: HHN IP leaks occur every year. Fact: HHN has IPs every year. It follows logically that an IP owner can't and shouldn't trust that their IP will definitely not be leaked. Numerous IP holders do business with Universal, ergo, business plans trump leaks. Your feelings don't enter into it. Nobody wants their surprise spoiled early, but assuming an IP holder will throw a tantrum and pull out because of a leak, particularly when said leaks happen far more often than not, shows a very poor grasp of simple logic.

• Wow
Reactions: Kichkinet85
You didn't answer my question. Fact: HHN IP leaks occur every year. Fact: HHN has IPs every year. It follows logically that an IP owner can't and shouldn't trust that their IP will definitely not be leaked. Numerous IP holders do business with Universal, ergo, business plans trump leaks. Your feelings don't enter into it. Nobody wants their surprise spoiled early, but assuming an IP holder will throw a tantrum and pull out because of a leak, particularly when said leaks happen far more often than not, shows a very poor grasp of simple logic.
Um no bc I’m not the one you quoted so I didn’t think you wanted me to answer something pointed to someone else. It’s true leaks happen every year but when they do it risk the IP. Most IP holders seem not to care if it gets leaked on here, probably as it’s not most people and only a small percentage of super fans. But we have lost IPs before bc of leaks. Anyway that’s my thoughts on it, no need to say people don’t grasp “simple logic” cause they simply disagree with you. No need to be rude.
Frustrated Brendon Urie GIF by Taylor Swift

Last edited:
Yanno', with all the reports of Universal cracking down on leaks, that should tell us everything that in Universal's eyes...yes, they're a problem. Because they wouldn't be doing that if it wasn't a problem.

And once again, if the IP holders are unhappy, they can just take their ball and go home. It doesn't matter how much money has been spent, nor how much time has been worked on. If they don't like how things are being handled, portrayed etc., they'll just take their ball and go home, simple as that. Call them unreasonable, call them throwing a tantrum, they don't care. It's their property, and not yours. And lord, are there some IP holders who're incredibly hard to work with in one way or another.

And yeah, leaks in any form can screw things up in a variety of ways. Can you imagine if HHN Hollywood covered up some very distinctive signs during construction early on? If they did, then they would've been able to do their semi-original Halloween house which included Halloween III: Season of the Witch. But they didn't, so pics were taken of signs which were wholly unique to that IP and shared around, and then that IP was promptly taken away.

Yanno', with all the reports of Universal cracking down on leaks, that should tell us everything that in Universal's eyes...yes, they're a problem. Because they wouldn't be doing that if it wasn't a problem.

And once again, if the IP holders are unhappy, they can just take their ball and go home. It doesn't matter how much money has been spent, nor how much time has been worked on. If they don't like how things are being handled, portrayed etc., they'll just take their ball and go home, simple as that. Call them unreasonable, call them throwing a tantrum, they don't care. It's their property, and not yours. And lord, are there some IP holders who're incredibly hard to work with in one way or another.

And yeah, leaks in any form can screw things up in a variety of ways. Can you imagine if HHN Hollywood covered up some very distinctive signs during construction early on? If they did, then they would've been able to do their semi-original Halloween house which included Halloween III: Season of the Witch. But they didn't, so pics were taken of signs which were wholly unique to that IP and shared around, and then that IP was promptly taken away.

Just to keep everyone honest re: Halloween III, my understanding there were other problems that led to the loss of that IP - but the leaks and embarrassing visibility of the imagery absolutely did not help.

Status
Not open for further replies.