HHN 30: Tips, Tricks, & Questions | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 30: Tips, Tricks, & Questions

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Looking for wheelchair event info and tips. Will rent at front of park. DW will require one this year. Did some searching here and I know all houses are wheelchair (ADA) compliant. Will use mainly around the park , queues, and house to house. Not planning to use it in the houses but could near the end of the night. She is going just one night (Wednesday) and we will be doing S&S with Express. Will TM's relocate the WC from house entrance to exit if we don't use it in the house? Her fave S&S location is Finn's so will start from there. Does Finn' have a secure location to park WC's while we are inside? Thanks and appreciated!
The TM’s will take your wheelchair from the entrance of the house to the exit. I’ve never had a problem with someone else taking them before. My dad uses a mobility scooter to get from house to house and transfers to the wheelchair for the queue. He’s able to walk through the house and the wheelchair is waiting for us at the exit. Not sure about the parking at Finns, though. We usually do Springfield for stay and scream as it’s easier for him to get around on his scooter.

Reactions: georgemoe
I'd wait till opening to see what S&S options are this year. I think with COVID and staffing there might be some changes to the concept.

Agreed, and with the Unimog and fence right where the NY holding pen normally is, that Stay and Scream area is obviously going to have some changes if it's happening.

The TM’s will take your wheelchair from the entrance of the house to the exit. I’ve never had a problem with someone else taking them before. My dad uses a mobility scooter to get from house to house and transfers to the wheelchair for the queue. He’s able to walk through the house and the wheelchair is waiting for us at the exit. Not sure about the parking at Finns, though. We usually do Springfield for stay and scream as it’s easier for him to get around on his scooter.

Thanks. Still up in the air where we S&S. Will mostly depend on how Finn's will be set up.

I’m going the 2nd Saturday (Sep 11) and not doing Stay and Scream or Scream Early. Any tips for getting in the fastest way possible and knocking out the houses with the shortest wait times? I usually show up to the main gates around 5:30pm (I think gates sometimes open at 6 I guess it depends) and make my way to the right side (tents) first as they seem to always have the shortest wait times at the beginning of the night. I figured this is the best strategy to knock out houses quickly but curious if anyone has any other tips and tricks for people not “screaming early”. Also learned a few years ago to always wear sunglasses before the 1st house….it’s hard for your eyes to adjust going into darkness, especially without sunglasses

Also, Finn's is otherwise ADA compliant and is able to serve wheelchair customers throughout the year, so I think OP will be fine during HHN/S&S.

Looking for wheelchair event info and tips. Will rent at front of park. DW will require one this year. Did some searching here and I know all houses are wheelchair (ADA) compliant. Will use mainly around the park , queues, and house to house. Not planning to use it in the houses but could near the end of the night. She is going just one night (Wednesday) and we will be doing S&S with Express. Will TM's relocate the WC from house entrance to exit if we don't use it in the house? Her fave S&S location is Finn's so will start from there. Does Finn' have a secure location to park WC's while we are inside? Thanks and appreciated!

The chairs from the park have to be parked and transfer to a push chair ,My chair is a zero turn and I have been through all HH for a number of years Me and my significant each ride an ECV sometimes cast members do not know the requirements just ask for a lead if any problems. (hers is red my is Tan) so you may have seen us over the years .We always stay and scream normally in Finnigans but a few times in Springfield and once in Central Park .

Reactions: georgemoe
I’m going the 2nd Saturday (Sep 11) and not doing Stay and Scream or Scream Early. Any tips for getting in the fastest way possible and knocking out the houses with the shortest wait times? I usually show up to the main gates around 5:30pm (I think gates sometimes open at 6 I guess it depends) and make my way to the right side (tents) first as they seem to always have the shortest wait times at the beginning of the night. I figured this is the best strategy to knock out houses quickly but curious if anyone has any other tips and tricks for people not “screaming early”. Also learned a few years ago to always wear sunglasses before the 1st house….it’s hard for your eyes to adjust going into darkness, especially without sunglasses

Your plan is definitely the best. You should be able to hit both tents and parades pretty quickly, then I'd check the lines for the Sound Stages on the App. If they're really long, do Shrek and then maybe catch a show or two. As everybody has mentioned, the parks clear out starting at 10pm and by Midnight, lines are really short. Should be able to hammer out the Sound Stages later during the event if you're like me and hate waiting in lines for any significant time. If you don't mind lines, might as well go right to the SS's after you do the back of the park and try to take a look at the lines and see if there's a pattern of people all progressing through the houses in A, B, C, D order and hop in where the natural lull is for wait times.

With the lack of international travel and people not wanting to head into the hot zone of Florida coupled with the Sound Stages being 2.5 originals and 1.5 IPs (splitting Brides since that's a never ending debate) I wonder if the Sound Stages will be the busiest part of the parks this year or if it's going to be back loaded where Beetlejuice and Hill House are.

Reactions: OIHO_YERAC
I'll be visiting from California this year, I've gone to HHN Hollywood every year since 2012 but I can finally afford to make the trip out east. As someone who's never been to Universal Orlando, I want to be able to do as many rides as I can too. I'm mostly concerned with getting to really experience Diagon Alley. Do you think I'll have enough time during HHN to really explore Diagon Alley and also make it to all of the houses? I'll have Express and Scream Early, so that will help, but I'm also going on a Friday. I know that crowds are going to be really difficult to predict with everything going on this year, but historically speaking, would there be enough time for that big of a diversion from the main event? If it is I'll probably just try to do as much as I can in there during Scream Early hours before I head to Stay & Scream.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
I'll be visiting from California this year, I've gone to HHN Hollywood every year since 2012 but I can finally afford to make the trip out east. As someone who's never been to Universal Orlando, I want to be able to do as many rides as I can too. I'm mostly concerned with getting to really experience Diagon Alley. Do you think I'll have enough time during HHN to really explore Diagon Alley and also make it to all of the houses? I'll have Express and Scream Early, so that will help, but I'm also going on a Friday. I know that crowds are going to be really difficult to predict with everything going on this year, but historically speaking, would there be enough time for that big of a diversion from the main event? If it is I'll probably just try to do as much as I can in there during Scream Early hours before I head to Stay & Scream.

Use the scream early hours for rides like RockIt, Mummy which tend to have heavier wait times during HHN. Diagon Alley typically is very quiet during HHN. I usually stop by Diagon during the middle of the event when the lines are long and zones are difficult to get through.

Use the scream early hours for rides like RockIt, Mummy which tend to have heavier wait times during HHN. Diagon Alley typically is very quiet during HHN. I usually stop by Diagon during the middle of the event when the lines are long and zones are difficult to get through.

Also some offerings in Diagon, like the wand presentation and the shows, are not running.

Also some offerings in Diagon, like the wand presentation and the shows, are not running.

Shows like Celestina Warbeck have traditionally still played during HHN nights in the past, in my experience. At least my warped, haven't been to Universal in 23 months brain recalls it that way. Who knows what this year looks like, of course.

I wonder how different the crowd flows will be considering the two big IP houses (Beetlejuice and Hill House) are in the back of the park, while the SS in years prior usually held the big draws (Ghostbusters or Stranger Things...pick your poison!). I know Icons will be a big deal for a lot of people (if its good), but maybe the Finnegans area will be less popular as a Stay & Scream option now?

I wonder how different the crowd flows will be considering the two big IP houses (Beetlejuice and Hill House) are in the back of the park, while the SS in years prior usually held the big draws (Ghostbusters or Stranger Things...pick your poison!). I know Icons will be a big deal for a lot of people (if its good), but maybe the Finnegans area will be less popular as a Stay & Scream option now?

There's so many different variables on how it could be one way or another, I think we honestly won't know until the event starts and we can gauge reports and wait times.*

*It should also be pre-faced that Opening Weekend could be a VERY busy anomaly. So it might not give the best picture if everything is showing as busy from the get-go. Second weekend-onward could give us a better idea.

They played a few weeks in HHN 25 but haven't since.

They've kept cutting steadily. First year, my friend and I got a private wand show, and ice cream was available all night. By the end of 2019, I think the only things open besides Gringotts were the outdoor bar and the dark magic shop. Maybe the candy shop behind Weasleys but not even sure about that.

*It should also be pre-faced that Opening Weekend could be a VERY busy anomaly. So it might not give the best picture if everything is showing as busy from the get-go. Second weekend-onward could give us a better idea.

Since the rise of the vloggers, and increase in crowds in general, opening weekend has become the equivalent of Hell Week.

But ... the event is starting far earlier than ever. Most of the "normies" don't even start thinking about Halloween until October. There's no Brits this year, and a percentage of typical theme park guests seem to be steering clear at the moment. (Locals may relent if the numbers get better by October but I don't see the situation changing drastically in 5 weeks.) HoS is opening too. I think the mid-September weeks may prove atypically slow. Should give us an idea of crowd flow, but wait times may not reflect what you'll see later in the event.

Since the rise of the vloggers, and increase in crowds in general, opening weekend has become the equivalent of Hell Week.

But ... the event is starting far earlier than ever. Most of the "normies" don't even start thinking about Halloween until October. There's no Brits this year, and a percentage of typical theme park guests seem to be steering clear at the moment. (Locals may relent if the numbers get better by October but I don't see the situation changing drastically in 5 weeks.) HoS is opening too. I think the mid-September weeks may prove atypically slow. Should give us an idea of crowd flow, but wait times may not reflect what you'll see later in the event.

Ah, I totally forgot about some of those factors this year! Yeah, this is gonna' be interesting to see how the crowds will be overall. Granted, I'm not gonna' be complaining if crowds are a lil lighter.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Definitely keep checking those AP hotel rates. Was able to get Hard Rock for the first two nights of my trip for $200 a night. It had been booked since April.
Very nice! What dates? I'm currently at Aventura 9/17-9/19 and I'm at a $280 a night rate, none of the premier hotels showing available.

Well, we're definitely getting closer with all the banners and pop-up tents going up today! Though this does bring up a big question regarding Finnegan's Stay and Scream...

See the tents with the Red and Yellow striped fronts? Those are smack dab where the house holding pens are in the Finn's S&S, and this is on top of the exit of that pen being blocked by the Fence and Unimog for Seek and Destroy.

Sooo, is there going to be a Stay and Scream at Finn's this year? If so, how are they going to reroute things for it?
Now Stay and Scream is happening, that was confirmed by the special admission tickets on sale for it.