IOA Lagoon Show | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

IOA Lagoon Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What is this Universal Studios Escape?

Looks like Martin beat me too it but Universal Studios Escape was the branding they used for the resort when IOA, Citywalk, the Portofino, and other changes opened up. It was a total disaster and quite possibly the biggest error in theme park marketing ever. The problem was no one, outside of Florida mind you knew that Universal had turned into a multi day resort. Tourists just thought the Studios opened up a new land. So when IOA opened, yes the park that blew everyone away, it failed to meet numbers and on top of that due to mass confusion and poor marketing it siphoned huge attendance numbers from the Studios. On top of that the Portofino failed to meet its numbers as well, and the Citywalk shops and restaurants, well many of them didn't do as much as expected either.

Then all of this coupled with the tourism crash of 9/11 a little over two years after grand opening led to the decline of the resort, and cutbacks most of you have only read about. The dark years of the resort 2003-2007. But thanks to some great new marketing, the boy that lived, and owners who actually believe the saying " if you build it they will come" the resort has put that in the rear view. Finally this is another reason some people, especially the veterans get a little nervous when the Hogwarts Express and two park ticket scenario come up. None of us want a mass marketing or attendance plunge with such a bright future on the way.

Thanks HTF, an interesting read, I did know that the park opened to small crowds but never knew the reasons behind it. It is interesting how something as simple as a name can make or break a multi million pound investment.

Came across this picture and article whilst reading up on this, think a few will find it a good read, thanks again HTF.

universalpark.jpeg

Read the article here

http://themeparkcanuck.com/2011/12/11/the-making-of-islands-of-adventure-at-universal-orlando/

If you ever hear a theme park opened to small crowds, read into marketing. It almost always has a lot to do with that. If it's not that, it's marketing coupled with economics.

I remember the commercials for it, they featured a family on an airplane flying into Orlando and Spider-Man and I think Doc Oc landed on the wing and started a battle while a kid watched from the window. Then they announced that Universal Studios Escape was the new premier vacation destination. All and all a very confusing advertisement.

I remember the commercials for it, they featured a family on an airplane flying into Orlando and Spider-Man and I think Doc Oc landed on the wing and started a battle while a kid watched from the window. Then they announced that Universal Studios Escape was the new premier vacation destination. All and all a very confusing advertisement.

Reminds me of this:
[video=youtube;nhtDR6j78I0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhtDR6j78I0[/video]

Looks like Martin beat me too it but Universal Studios Escape was the branding they used for the resort when IOA, Citywalk, the Portofino, and other changes opened up. It was a total disaster and quite possibly the biggest error in theme park marketing ever. The problem was no one, outside of Florida mind you knew that Universal had turned into a multi day resort. Tourists just thought the Studios opened up a new land. So when IOA opened, yes the park that blew everyone away, it failed to meet numbers and on top of that due to mass confusion and poor marketing it siphoned huge attendance numbers from the Studios. On top of that the Portofino failed to meet its numbers as well, and the Citywalk shops and restaurants, well many of them didn't do as much as expected either.

Then all of this coupled with the tourism crash of 9/11 a little over two years after grand opening led to the decline of the resort, and cutbacks most of you have only read about. The dark years of the resort 2003-2007. But thanks to some great new marketing, the boy that lived, and owners who actually believe the saying " if you build it they will come" the resort has put that in the rear view. Finally this is another reason some people, especially the veterans get a little nervous when the Hogwarts Express and two park ticket scenario come up. None of us want a mass marketing or attendance plunge with such a bright future on the way.

I remember the first few years of the park opening I would talk to people down here and they had no idea about the park. I just couldn't believe they never heard of it and even had people confuse it with Busch Gardens water park Adventure Island. Funny that 2003-2007 were the years I spent the most going to the parks and staying on site, used to go up 3-4 times a year for long weekends but since Potter and the room rates going up we haven't stayed on site since.

I remember the first few years of the park opening I would talk to people down here and they had no idea about the park. I just couldn't believe they never heard of it and even had people confuse it with Busch Gardens water park Adventure Island. Funny that 2003-2007 were the years I spent the most going to the parks and staying on site, used to go up 3-4 times a year for long weekends but since Potter and the room rates going up we haven't stayed on site since.

Yup, used to be dirt cheap. Not the case anymore, and looking back its been a few years for me as well staying on site. Then again moving within 75 mins of the resort helps :thumbs:

I won't go if I can't afford to stay on site. I'd rather save up, and go much less frequently and have that extra enjoyment that the express pass brings me than go more often.

Yup, used to be dirt cheap. Not the case anymore, and looking back its been a few years for me as well staying on site. Then again moving within 75 mins of the resort helps :thumbs:

A fun fact that I had heard was that IoA was actually one of the few (if not the only) to actually get an attendance boost post-9/11, just because of how poorly it had done before then.

Thanks HTF, an interesting read, I did know that the park opened to small crowds but never knew the reasons behind it. It is interesting how something as simple as a name can make or break a multi million pound investment.

Came across this picture and article whilst reading up on this, think a few will find it a good read, thanks again HTF.

universalpark.jpeg

Read the article here

http://themeparkcanuck.com/2011/12/11/the-making-of-islands-of-adventure-at-universal-orlando/

AWESOME article! I could read stuff like this all day long! Thanks for posting.

universalpark.jpeg

Read the article here

Ahhhh, don't ride any of the original rides at IOA!!! They are only suppose to last 10 years :pound:

Nice article though! I know I was super excited when it first opened, but most others did not even know or understand what was happening there.

Orlando Informer posted a theory for what the show might be:

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2013/rumor-round-up-for-april-5-universal-orlando-walt-disney-world/

I actually really like the idea. Very creative, and it seems like it'd be something as powerful and as action-packed as Fantasmic! I also like how they believe that no water screens would be used, to help differentiate the show from Cinematic Spectacular. Hope that this is true!

An intriguing idea. I wonder if that means something like the rising/lowering platform used during the day at DCA for World of Color. Aside from water screens, it will be interesting to see how the go about crafting the show, be it projection mapping or a show with live actors, or perhaps something else truly innovative.

FYI,

Rumor only, but we may see some type of daytime show during the Summer months at the lagoon. Nothing major, more like filler for the Summer crowds with construction set to begin on the night show around the same time JP begins expansion work. Late Summer/Fall 2013.