Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 298 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't quote me on this, but I would not be surprised that if Universal is building a GG coaster in JP, that it might be on the level of Oscar's Wacky Taxi in terms of aggressiveness.

So pretty much a family coaster that even kids can go on. Would it be fair to think that Universal Creative and tGG will work together to make it fit into Jurassic?

The vibe I get from that, if that is the case, is that I'm curious now of the fate of Camp Jurassic and Pterandon Flyers after this would be open, if that's the direction they are going with.

I have not heard anything really bad when it comes to White Lightning and Mine Blower, which are done with no wooden supports at all. The only wooden coaster with actual wood with the supports in Orlando is Coastersaurus at LEGOLand.

It's only wooden aspect, is the track. And that can be easily reprofiled if things get worse, but I would imagine Gravity Group (or whoever it'd be) and Universal would ensure that the attraction can run at the best that it can be.

Who knows. Perhaps it isn't a wooden coaster, and is maybe something more steel and compact (in track size, and layout size), as Rocky Mountain is unveiling a themed model of their RMC Raptor (which looks absolutely lovely for a steel coaster).

This is the first time I'm realizing White Lightning has metal supports and not wood. Wow.

Don't quote me on this, but I would not be surprised that if Universal is building a GG coaster in JP, that it might be on the level of Oscar's Wacky Taxi in terms of aggressiveness.

Wacky Taxi is going to surprise people in how good of a ride it is going to be, IMHO.

Another possible option was GG's SplinterFX coaster

This is the first time I'm realizing White Lightning has metal supports and not wood. Wow.
Yeah, it's crazy that GCI began Wood coasters with steel supports at Fun Spot. Kind-of fascinating in a strange sense.

As for the Splinter FX, I honestly thought that's a dead concept that hasn't even gotten that much attention anymore, outside of to those who go to Indiana Bend?

Wacky Taxi is going to surprise people in how good of a ride it is going to be, IMHO.

Yeah, Wacky Taxi looks like a fun attraction for all ages, and as a great starter for kids to go onto some of the larger coasters. If that's the direction they want to go with, I am fully on board, as long as it's also well themed and blending into the area rather nicely.

Maybe, but then there lies the question of the Trike plot.

A thought I have, perhaps UC and Gravity Group discussed things during IAAPA, and that it could be a coaster similar to the ZDT Switchback from 2015, but heavily themed to be matching the Raptor Encounter (with that getting an expanded M&G)?

How many of the board regulars have rode Switchback at ZDT? If that coaster was at Silver Dollar City, you'd know a lot more about it. I desperately want one of their noninverting woodies like Switchback at SDC over a GCI. It is quite a blast. I have over 30 trips on that thing and for the cost it was and the size it is, it is amazing. I am a huge fan of GG's small, compact woodies. I'll make a special trip to ride the one they are building just outside of Paris at a small park. The trains on these are smaller than normal for the tight turns, so capacity is lower. If by chance the built a dueling version of these, well.....

Mind Blower at FS Kiss is awesome in back. Got 20 trips on it before the cruise.

? Whats wrong with GCI?

They are kinda becoming the B&M of woodies. Quality and the safe bet but the edge isn't there anymore. The newer ones that I have rode aren't as good as their creations a decade ago. That said, when I rode Mako last week that mid course brake wasn't doing much and it was a blast.

Something like Wacky Taxi would be good but way too short. Beef it up by about 30 seconds and it'd be a strong ride.
Again, these smaller GG's areally also smaller trains to cover the tighter turns.

Here's Switchback

they designed this to zig zag through existing structures on property like the one at Grona Lund. If given a UC type budget, I'd love to see what they could do and how they would incorporate theming into it. Again, I could see it as a two tracker for capacity issues. What the name of the one in China they built as duelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's crazy that GCI began Wood coasters with steel supports at Fun Spot. Kind-of fascinating in a strange sense.

As for the Splinter FX, I honestly thought that's a dead concept that hasn't even gotten that much attention anymore, outside of to those who go to Indiana Bend?
Didn’t White Lightening come from another park at first?

When I was there recently, they had a barrier in place just above the bypass bridge. Like an oil spill containment setup. The lagoon behind it was turbid and muddy as hell. It seemed contained however. As the lagoon supplys bilge rats and dudleys a muddy lagoon would be bad.

I find this fascinating. I had no idea the lagoon supplied water to Popeye's. Is the water filtered or are cleansing agents added to purify the water? I hope so, kind a gross if it's not.

Reactions: Ryno27
I find this fascinating. I had no idea the lagoon supplied water to Popeye's. Is the water filtered or are cleansing agents added to purify the water? I hope so, kind a gross if it's not.

As an aside, Cedar Point uses water from Sandusky Bay on Thunder Canyon (their Intamin rapids ride). Not sure where else does this beyond those two examples. Most parks have a large resivoir built for those kinds of rides.

Yesterday was April Fools. That's how I'm treating this rumor. Don't believe everything you read. I simply cannot see them adding a third coaster to IoA when a dark ride is drastically needed.
I agree the park needs more dark rides, but who knows, maybe a new family coaster could include interior scenes? One can hope.

Yesterday was April Fools. That's how I'm treating this rumor. Don't believe everything you read. I simply cannot see them adding a third coaster to IoA when a dark ride is drastically needed.

Piggybacking -

There was a new permit with project #. Best guess was JP but cannot confirm.

Someone threw out the coaster rumor and it sorta avalanched.

I have not heard anything coaster for this planned addition.

SO to recap... :lol:

We have a new project number with no idea what it ties to.... That's it.

Piggybacking -

There was a new permit with project #. Best guess was JP but cannot confirm.

Someone threw out the coaster rumor and it sorta avalanched.

I have not heard anything coaster for this planned addition.

SO to recap... :lol:

We have a new project number with no idea what it ties to.... That's it.
The chat started on 31st March.
Here's a quote from an article I wrote for UUOP back in February:

Over in Jurassic Park there seems to be a new rumor every year. Three years ago it was for a new dark ride that starts in the Discovery Center. Last year people claimed the Flying Dinosaur coaster from Japan was coming. Recently the rumor is a family wooden roller coaster is coming to the island, either on the unused Triceratops Trail plot or even replacing the Discovery Center according to some reports. As with all the other Jurassic Park rumors through the years, I'll believe it when I see construction start.
The idea has been floating around the last few months, which is probably why people are linking a "coaster" concept to the new number.

Status
Not open for further replies.