Lionsgate World Resort | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

Lionsgate World Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
If 3rd gate is planned for this land, I wonder if Skyplex investors will back away.
I think they would be all over it like sharks. Close to the parks is good. Between the parks is even better.

So will this open the door for Universal to build something even taller on the colony property? Something to make the skyplex seem less impressive. Or will they even care enough to change their plans?

An 1,100' Stratosphere like tower would do the trick.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
I think they would be all over it like sharks. Close to the parks is good. Between the parks is even better.

An 1,100' Stratosphere like tower would do the trick.

That's my thoughts. Suddenly hotels on I Drive become a lot more attractive and with it being a short trip or walking distance, it's even more of a prime location.

So... can someone summarize this information for me? I'm kinda lost. So I can gather that Skyplex has approval, and that Universal has land for a 3rd gate now?

So... can someone summarize this information for me? I'm kinda lost. So I can gather that Skyplex has approval, and that Universal has land for a 3rd gate now?
I think neither are absolutely certain at this point. Skyplex overcame a big hurdle but there's a lot of opportunity for the project to fall through. Universal has a contract to purchase the land, that doesn't mean they couldn't pull out or the deal couldn't fall through for some other reason.

Reactions: captainmoch
I believe Universal has already ruptured North I-Drive with their hotel expansion. A Wet'n Wild hotel resort will fry it even more. It is all a Magical Express principal. It nearly killed Universal before Potter and the same idea can lessen Universal's losses.

I believe Universal has already ruptured North I-Drive with their hotel expansion. A Wet'n Wild hotel resort will fry it even more. It is all a Magical Express principal. It nearly killed Universal before Potter and the same idea can lessen Universal's losses.
If this is referencing only hotels then sure, but if your are referencing all of I-Drive then I don't understand. The Wet n Wild hotel would bring more people to the other I-Drive entertainment and restaurants because those at the hotel would be a walk away from everything.

International Drive and Sand Lake seems really close to Universal property. I get their concerns, especially about the skyline. I would vote no but I guess it's already done.

If anything this hurts Disney Springs and not even then.

Nobody is going to hurt from Skyplex being built. That is not how the Orlando market is set up. We have the second largest hotel rooms avialable behind Vegas yet we have a huge shortage in hotel rooms (Universal and Unicorp knows this).

If anything like someone pointed out, this being between the parks and near the parks is awesome. There is so much planned for I drive south that isn't even showing up to some of you yet.

I think Universal will find their dealings with the county much more relaxed..

Fun times

So will this open the door for Universal to build something even taller on the colony property? Something to make the skyplex seem less impressive. Or will they even care enough to change their plans?

No they will have to get approval from the board as well for a height.

Also guys please keep the Universal land discussions in the "Universal Expansion" thread. Thanks!

No they will have to get approval from the board as well for a height.
It does help quite a bit though to be able cite a precedent. It would be hard for them to justify denying Universal to build something of that height without a reason that didn't apply to Skyplex.

To be perfectly clear, the height limit of 200' was established voluntarily by SeaWorld and Universal. This is not something that was imposed by the city/county as a condition or something they had to consistently work around. They could likely have the height limit for the current resort in the city limits raised very easily if they had reason or wanted to. For example, Mako and the SW Sky Tower.

No thanks. I imagine in 10 years when the tallest structure in central Florida is standing but not operating.
Well Tallest Structure right now in Central Florida is 441 ft.

That can certainly and likely will be passed.

Tallest Structure on Idrive? Peabody's Expansion building, or to outter towners, the Hyatt at Orange County Convention Center