Lionsgate World Resort | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Lionsgate World Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The traffic on Sand Lake Road and International Drive will always be bad but steps are being taken to help the situation. Sand Lake is due to be rebuilt to its largest possible buildout in the ROW its in by the time this is built.

Also, the complex will only slow in traffic into the complex from these roads. All outward traffic will go down that side street in the back of the plot.

Lastly, the developer has proposed to provide all upfront costs of a pedestrian bridge over that intersection, this would help traffic by allowing the intersection to not be effected negatively by pedestrian activity.

That's actually pretty generous of them and will solve a lot of problems.

Other than Splendid China--which is being bulldozed for Margaritaviile as I type--how many are still around? And even that, had Osceola not been obstinate and short-sighted, would have been Lego Land years ago.

A plot at Sand Lake and I-Drive is premium land, will only increase in value given current trends.

The issue is that it will be expensive to demolish the building compared to the other failed attractions on I Drive.

As for the eye sore part, it's going to be about 150ft taller than the Orlando Eye and will be visible from many miles around.

It's not something I would want in my backyard but as somebody who only goes for a couple of weeks at a time, I think it will be a pretty cool structure to have.

Is Popeyes staying or going? I think I'd be pretty sad to go see it go.

Reactions: MrRoamer
That's actually pretty generous of them and will solve a lot of problems.

The issue is that it will be expensive to demolish the building compared to the other failed attractions on I Drive.

As for the eye sore part, it's going to be about 150ft taller than the Orlando Eye and will be visible from many miles around.

It's not something I would want in my backyard but as somebody who only goes for a couple of weeks at a time, I think it will be a pretty cool structure to have.

Is Popeyes staying or going? I think I'd be pretty sad to go see it go.

That's pretty irrelevant at this point. I can already see the Eye from way out here along US 27 (and 429 as well), and even the Peabody/Hyatt (harder to pick out, but you can at night sometimes).

Reactions: SeventyOne
But the way Universal is going about this process IS bullying in nature. If they were to state things as you have here, I don't think anyone would really argue. It's the fact that Universal is being giant dicks about the situation and their handling of it.

Bullying is a loaded term and being used extensively which is why I'm apprehensive to use it. They're being aggressive and jerks in court, nowhere in my post did I deny that.

That's pretty irrelevant at this point. I can already see the Eye from way out here along US 27 (and 429 as well), and even the Peabody/Hyatt (harder to pick out, but you can at night sometimes).

I didn't realise just how far it would visible from.

Yellow circle is Skyplex, orange circle is Orlando Eye. I made a mistake by not moving the centre of the circle to the Orlando Eye but it still gets the point across.

ahHc5Xp.jpg

I didn't realise just how far it would visible from.

Yellow circle is Skyplex, orange circle is Orlando Eye. I made a mistake by not moving the centre of the circle to the Orlando Eye but it still gets the point across.

ahHc5Xp.jpg

I can see the eye pretty far east, but because it is not a solid structure it is not too bad. Not sure how a large building that us taller would look from a far.

I can see the eye pretty far east, but because it is not a solid structure it is not too bad. Not sure how a large building that us taller would look from a far.

When I made that, I checked the tallest building in downtown Orlando which should be visible for most of International Drive but I've never been aware of it to my knowledge. I don't know if the area is too built up to actually see it or it's just not that visible.

It might be different where you are though.

When I made that, I checked the tallest building in downtown Orlando which should be visible for most of International Drive but I've never been aware of it to my knowledge.

Downtown Orlando is quite a cluster of 20-30 story buildings... then there are surrounding buildings that are 15-20 story buildings. It probably looks like a hazy city something in the distance while at night it might almost appear as a hill of brightly lit streets. Anything 200' feet or more south of Universal stands out like a sore thumb because there is little to compete with it.

I've actually never seen Downtown from I-Drive. Farthest South I've seen it was on the Turnpike ramp over I-4. Then again, one does not seek to look at Downtown because it's unimpressive visually. Skyplex on the other hand...

Reactions: anihilnation
But the way Universal is going about this process IS bullying in nature. If they were to state things as you have here, I don't think anyone would really argue. It's the fact that Universal is being giant dicks about the situation and their handling of it.

And the SkyPlex dude is not exactly being civil about it either, or being more upfront with the financial situation backing his "dream". I won't argue that Universal isn't being absolutely terrible with how theyre handling it, but I do think their concern comes from somewhere a little more legitimate than "anti-competition".

The Las Vegas strip is a perfect example of this. If you're staying on the south side or middle of the strip and want to go to Circus Circus or the Stratosphere, any LV concierge will tell you to take a taxi, bus or the monorail. This is due to the fact that there's this HUUUUGE stetch of abandoned, shuttered property until you finally reach the north side. The rebranding of the Sahara, SLS, has massively suffered thanks to also being on the butt end of it, yet not having attractions or a notable reputation for attracting guests there. The second people see that long, unsettling dark stretch filled with untapped desert and creepy abandoned buildings, they just instead elect to stay in their comfort zone. The notoreity of CC and Stratosphere are the things keeping them alive, guests actually heading to them via other transport as a destination. Currently ResortsWorld is our hope on fixing this major problem on the strip, but they could very well end up just another failed project until we see some visible signs that the Genting Group means business.

Obviously it's an extreme example, but Universal wants to stay and continue to grow its world-class resort, and having an unfinished grey monstrosity very close and nearby is not exactly going to improve things in the public eye. (Disney of course has the luxury of being 100% contained) It probably won't hamper things in any major way, but needless to say I think Universal has grounds for being a bit nervous. Now, idealistically it would be nicer to try and help make the SkyPlex actually happen so this worry becomes null and void, but I'm guessing they think that the odds are against SkyPlex and so they're going that route.

So maybe instead of throwing one-sided temper tantrums on theme park podcasts, maybe he should discuss about how Universal's possible fears of stalled construction forever tabeling the project are unfounded and exactly why that is. Obviously it's not going to result in Universal throwing their arms up and apologizing, but it'll definitely shed better, more sympathetic light on this "David vs Goliath" situation here. I don't care that he bought seven Perkins to nab the location to show how "dedicated" he is I want to know if all the resources are in place to actually build this thing guaranteed. But instead he's chosen to go on Universal's level of pettiness.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I just want it to end so Twitter's lunatics can STFU.

Quoted for the absolute truth, for me what's happening on twitter is on the level of back when Disneyland lunatics were asking if people were "Pro-Waterfall or Anti-Waterfall" due to a waterfall feature being taken out of the Disneyland hotel during it's refurbishment. It's simply a annoyance I just want to end.

I'm completely indifferent in regard to the Skyplex thing. I do wonder though if there's some reason beyond what is known as to Universals opposition to this. What if there is some future Universal project hanging in the balance of this situation? Also I find it strange that the Orlando Eye isn't opposing this, this would effectively render their attraction useless.

I'm completely indifferent in regard to the Skyplex thing. I do wonder though if there's some reason beyond what is known as to Universals opposition to this. What if there is some future Universal project hanging in the balance of this situation? Also I find it strange that the Orlando Eye isn't opposing this, this would effectively render their attraction useless.

I've thought this as well but any reason they give would be hypocritical other rather than them saying they think it would hinder their business.

The I-Drive 360 Board is actually supporting Skyplex and are at the meeting currently.

Reactions: anihilnation
I find it strange that the Orlando Eye isn't opposing this, this would effectively render their attraction useless.
I assume that once Skyplex gets built Unicorp expects it to drive attendance to both of there properties and I-Drive as a whole. I could see then partnering with ticket offerings and such as well.