MSHI Expansion? | Page 84 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think any chance of the MCU coming to Universal is dead-in-the-water.

Marvel Studios, after 2 years of starting to split off from Marvel have completed the transition to become a fully operating sister company under the Disney umbrella, and thus now have their own licensing deals & legal team completely separate from Marvel. It's a bit of an internal mess, because Marvel Studios now have full ownership rights to their versions of their characters + original characters from 2015-onward. This means a character created for the movies will not be able to show up on a Marvel TV show or a Marvel Comic without an internal licensing deal between Marvel Studios and Marvel. Previous deals that included master licensing of Marvel (including MCU + Licensed film versions) are grandfathered in and have access to all films & characters. (ex: Hasbro can make toys from Fox's X-Men, Sony's Spider-Man, and Marvel Comics). Theme Park rights operate similarly to exclusive movie rights, so this also doesn't mean that Disney can use their MCU version of the shared characters in parks where Universal has exclusivity, because they're still considered derivative of the Marvel character. Just as Marvel Studios can't put Wolverine in the MCU because Fox holds the rights, they can't have a meet & greet in WDW with Spidey, but you can have a Meet & Greet with Phil Coulson.

Universal's deal is with Marvel themselves. Essentially what this means is MCU != Marvel. Universal's deal doesn't give access to derivative works - so just as Universal has never had access to Fox's version of the X-Men or Sony's Spidey, they do not have access to Marvel Studios' versions of Iron Man, Cap, Guardians, etc. Prior to 2015, they possibly would have.

This has some big impacts elsewhere though. It's the reason why Marvel TV shows have stopped having current tie-ins with the MCU, why the Marvel TV shows don't effect the MCU, why TV characters won't show up in the films, etc. because the TV shows are now made by a different company (Marvel, not Marvel Studios)

Hopefully that gives some confusing clarity. If an Iron Man ride comes, it would likely be animated and they'd probably just hire an impersonator. Unless it's specifically RDJ, or using exact armor from the movies, then they can do it.

Is there enough room? I can't see there being enough room by removing Doom and Storm but possibly expanding the land to where the theatre is between MSHI and TL.

If you pull out Doom, Storm, Carnage Warehouse, and Cafe 4/arcade, you have more than enough room. Pull out the theater for the Iron Man simulator and boom

I'm doubtful, but if we get an iron man ride and a new coaster in MSHI I'll be making a lot more trips down to Islands. So much fun going on right now

Reactions: Mike S
Yes. But still, I'm not sure what it changes having a ride 10 yards apart or 50 yards apart. They're still awfully close to one another.

People seemed a little miffed about Fallon being so close to DM and Shrek but that's 3 (4 if you include T2 in the lineage)

Do we have a $ value for the sale?

Reactions: Ashhanbre
*ahem*

DC LAND CONFIRMED

sorry, been a while

I think you mean...

WICKED LAND CONFIRMED

People seemed a little miffed about Fallon being so close to DM and Shrek but that's 3 (4 if you include T2 in the lineage)

Eh, different situation. MM and Fallon are more or less the same ride. SFX coaster and Hulk are very different beasts.

Reactions: Mike S and Brian G.
How sure are we on this SFX coaster happening? Sure they said they've sold one to someone in Orlando, maybe they jumped the gun on a deal/lied/someone got their facts wrong?

Not saying any of those things happened just interested to know as it seems odd we can't even narrow down who has bought one :shrug:

Reactions: Ashhanbre
I think you mean...

WICKED LAND CONFIRMED

Eh, different situation. MM and Fallon are more or less the same ride. SFX coaster and Hulk are very different beasts.

To really simplify things, I think the public could see it as two coasters.

None of it really matters. I'd be more than thrilled to see the land get some love.

Reactions: graspthesun
Why imitate a actor you know you can't get when you can hire voice actors who have done their work for years on hand to do convincing and real performances?

I just think it would be funny to use a guy who poorly imitated Tony Stark in the movie since they can't have the real Tony Stark. It would be just a tongue in cheek jab at Disney.