New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando? | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't get it Universal. Their theme park/hotel lot is not huge but has a significant working studio on it that isn't visited by their park guests (some exceptions of course). Why not move these studios to another location and free up that land for a water park to round out their entertainment offerings? The (water)park would be within the same distance as the parks with no need to move guests form one side of the I4 to the other and back.

I read somewhere that from a certain time on Uni started to build new slides at WnW so that they could be unbolted quite easily so they will be able to re use them at another location.

Building a convention/themepark hotel on the current WnW site would be good business with access to the convention centre and USOR with nicely themed busses. Just thinking out of the box here...

I just don't get it Universal. Their theme park/hotel lot is not huge but has a significant working studio on it that isn't visited by their park guests (some exceptions of course). Why not move these studios to another location and free up that land for a water park to round out their entertainment offerings? The (water)park would be within the same distance as the parks with no need to move guests form one side of the I4 to the other and back.

I read somewhere that from a certain time on Uni started to build new slides at WnW so that they could be unbolted quite easily so they will be able to re use them at another location.

Building a convention/themepark hotel on the current WnW site would be good business with access to the convention centre and USOR with nicely themed busses. Just thinking out of the box here...

I believe after the parking lot (which will free up more or less 3/4 of the parking lot) is complete, we will see a high rise building built in order to move offices, studio rooms and maybe even wardrobe into one central location, allowing for more room within the studios. Once that is complete we will see what they plan with that additional space. However, it is important to keep in mind that some of these spaces are used for HHN haunted houses. maybe they use them for special reasons (comedy shows, cuisine events?)

Image is places in USO that
a - are studios/office/parking
b - Places that will be reworked over the years

edit

So are you suggesting to build a waterpark in between IOA and USO?

EDIT: image won't show, here is map
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/edit?mid=zd7nmtAEP4ss.kN4KlZjLh-hM

Last edited:

There is really nothing to 'visit' as their isn't much that happens in the way of movie production...rather just commercials and TNA and of course HHN

What I have read from people on the inside is that these studios aren't empty but frequently used for all kinds of stuff that needs to be done in a studio (obviously). I get that.
I don't get it that it should be on that location when there isn't a movie tour or anything else for the visitors to visit or experience on a daily base.
Yes HHH uses the studios but many parks have great Halloween parties without studios so that's not a reason to keep them there year round.
I would love to see a waterpark there with a movie theme. Hell even use those unsightful projection water screens from the USF lagoon to let slides and lazy rivers go trough them in dark area's with projections on them of brick walls and stuff. For the lagoon they can go and search to something more elegant and less disruptive.

I have a feeling that the studio buildings/sound stages may begin getting more use in the future as Comcast/NBC/Universal is really starting to figure out the whole theme park/media synergy thing works and we will see more things going on using the studios.

Plus, there are probably tax advantages to having the studios as part of the property. I imagine there was an incentive package setup when Universal was built to bring film/TV projects in exchange for tax breaks.

Reactions: natespf
I have a feeling that the studio buildings/sound stages may begin getting more use in the future as Comcast/NBC/Universal is really starting to figure out the whole theme park/media synergy thing works and we will see more things going on using the studios.

Plus, there are probably tax advantages to having the studios as part of the property. I imagine there was an incentive package setup when Universal was built to bring film/TV projects in exchange for tax breaks.

I think production in Orlando ended up slowing down a bit because of the Orlando film taxes. I still think you're on to something though.

So I was wondering...do you guys think with the new Waterpark that Universal would stick with Proslide as their main waterslide manufacturer or go elsewhere...like Whitewater West or Polin?

I'm curious how long it'll be until we hear more about this project.

I don't see anyone going with Polin. Their one installation in the U.S. was a major problem for the park. Their finished product didn't meet the design specs and it has been limited to half of its intended capacity (single tubes only, though it was supposed to use doubles).

So for IP's if that they'll use, do you think JAWS will appear or no? Too frightening? Despicable Me 2 almost made a billion dollars and is the 2nd highest grossing movie of 2013, plus the minion beach, so no brainier there, so what else???

I hope they do. It's a nice combination of the mysterious and the exotic; it evokes mental images of the original Journey to Atlantis concept art for Lost Continent (the attraction originally planned in Poseidon's Fury's place iirc) to me.

If they really do a new water park, it will definitely be interesting to see if they can completely re-imagine the water park. What I wonder though, can you do a lot of new things with slides? Perhaps create a dark ride with them using water coaster technology?

If they really do a new water park, it will definitely be interesting to see if they can completely re-imagine the water park. What I wonder though, can you do a lot of new things with slides? Perhaps create a dark ride with them using water coaster technology?

Let's hope...Water parks are so copy and paste to me...would love to see Universal kick them up a notch to the likes of Atlantis or even Blizzard Beach/Typhoon Lagoon..

Of course that's possible! All it takes is someone willing to spend the money to make it happen.
Seeing what Universal did with Disco H20, Brain Wash, and Black Hole the Next Generation, those are all a step in that direction!
Also, check out Water World Colorado...they built two dark ride waterslides: Voyage to the Center of the Earth and Lost River of the Pharoahs. They look great!

I have been to Water World in Denver many times. Their 2 dark ride/water slides are pretty cool. Some of the AAs are pretty cheesy, but the concepts are solid. I would love to see what Uni could do with that concept.

I believe this may be being designed and possibly even engineered right now. Keep your eyes out for a 5 and a 3 and another number... we can call it x for now. I might be wrong... so cut me a bit of slack. Meanwhile, dance and smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.