SeaWorld Ends Orca Breeding | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Ends Orca Breeding

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So idiots were out protesting today at the entrance of the parking lot saying to release the Orcas. Why do people not research what they are protesting and realize releasing these creatures into the wild is a death sentence to them? People need to wise up and stop trying to destroy Seaworld.

So idiots were out protesting today at the entrance of the parking lot saying to release the Orcas. Why do people not research what they are protesting and realize releasing these creatures into the wild is a death sentence to them? People need to wise up and stop trying to destroy Seaworld.

How many protestors view the 'battle'.

You know the guy who wrote that was a whale trainer at seaworld for 10 years and still does contract work with the whales for them, right?

So.. they stop having whales and he doesnt have a business.

If I remember right when they released the Free Willy whale back into the ocean it was plagued with problems and he was constantly seeking human interaction?

Reactions: SeaWorldRocks
So I take it you would be against releasing the Orcas Seaworld has? You just wanted to stop them breeding? Would you be against them taking in rescue orcas?

Since releasing them pretty much means death - yes.

I don't think they should breed orcas. Substantial changes in the quality of life would be needed to justify a breeding program. Blue World was the start of that, but everything I've heard says Blue World won't be happening because they aren't going to continue the breeding program. That sucks.

And the main thing I wanted to end was the circus style shows. A large enough enclosure with natural elements (imagine looking at white tank walls all day) and plenty of stimulus would be an acceptable compromise. Doing behavioral research that has been vetted for its ethics while presenting it to an audience for education would also be acceptable.

SeaWorld always claimed the the whales were ambassadors for education and conservation... But then they're paraded around doing frivolous tricks for entertainment while nearly no educational information is presented. The idea of an animal ambassador isn't bad, but claiming somethjng is an ambassador while it behaves like a circus is not the same.

Imagine if Ringling Bros was in charge of an actual embassy. "I hear all Americans can tightrope walk!" "Don't start a war with them! They're cute when they dress up as clowns!"

It's a charade and it's gone on way too long.

Reactions: Brervixen
Since releasing them pretty much means death - yes.

I don't think they should breed orcas. Substantial changes in the quality of life would be needed to justify a breeding program. Blue World was the start of that, but everything I've heard says Blue World won't be happening because they aren't going to continue the breeding program. That sucks.

And the main thing I wanted to end was the circus style shows. A large enough enclosure with natural elements (imagine looking at white tank walls all day) and plenty of stimulus would be an acceptable compromise. Doing behavioral research that has been vetted for its ethics while presenting it to an audience for education would also be acceptable.

SeaWorld always claimed the the whales were ambassadors for education and conservation... But then they're paraded around doing frivolous tricks for entertainment while nearly no educational information is presented. The idea of an animal ambassador isn't bad, but claiming somethjng is an ambassador while it behaves like a circus is not the same.

Imagine if Ringling Bros was in charge of an actual embassy. "I hear all Americans can tightrope walk!" "Don't start a war with them! They're cute when they dress up as clowns!"

It's a charade and it's gone on way too long.

Just curious, when is the last time you were ate seaworld? Because I have to say they are pretty educational place to go. My daughter normally learns at least one new thing every time she goes and sometimes way more. Just depends on the trip and what things we are doing like rides vs. Exhibits. Like today she learned about manatees and what they eat. Why they sometimes need rescued (cold stress, boats, etc). She also learned why dolphins smile and how they feed from their mothers. While eating at shark encounter she learned about identifying different sharks. If she hadn't been there a million times there would have been other things she learned but she knew the other stuff already. Not bad for a trip that we only saw penguins, manitees, Dolphin show, and baby dolphins. The rest of the time was spent eatin at the shark place and playing in happy harbor. Last trip she learned a ton since it was sea rescue weekend. The shamu One Ocean is full of a ton of learning stuff in that show. So your case about how it is mostly entertainment is pretty false. Every animal place has a sea world employer which answers questions and gives unprotected facts and conservation information out to guests.

At this point, SeaWorld is in damned if they do, damned if they don't territory. So I guess they can just try to play the line to best of their ability. They're never going to please everybody.
They're trying to please the families that are saying "yes" or "no" to going..I think this 'announcement' is a smart move for them...us theme park nerds are already going to come for Mako, minus Epcyclopedia because he will be at The Seas at Epcot..Again, we have 30 years left with the Orcas and it wouldn't surprise me if the breeding just so happened to start up again after a bit of time..

Reactions: Mad Dog
They're trying to please the families that are saying "yes" or "no" to going..I think this 'announcement' is a smart move for them...us theme park nerds are already going to come for Mako, minus Epcyclopedia because he will be at The Seas at Epcot..Again, we have 30 years left with the Orcas and it wouldn't surprise me if the breeding just so happened to start up again after a bit of time..
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the breeding didn't start again under a future park controlling owner and when they get some time distance from the Blackfish/Peta/Trainer death events. It's all been a good publicity/marketing spin thus far.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the breeding didn't start again under a future park controlling owner and when they get some time distance from the Blackfish/Peta/Trainer death events. It's all been a good publicity/marketing spin thus far.

I think eventually they will restart the breeding program and it will be excepted by the general public as long as the shows aren't brought back.