Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 151 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears there is someone in the driver seat if you look close they have a white shirt on1.jpg . I don't believe it is a real person.

I'd love to talk to an engineer about what the exact advantages are for this wifi/lps/trackless system vs a Spidey/Indy/CTX. Obviously there is no "track" per se, but the RV still follows the exact same path every time (case in point, the tire tracks). So what is the benefit of this system in the end, since, from a show perspective, it's still obvious that the RV is following a predetermined path? Is there higher reliability? Just thinking out loud.
I think they've put a substance on the tires that outline the path and they're getting rid of it before opening.

Last edited:
@Teebin, he was referring how silly the other comments were in response to the sharp turn made by the vehicle. i find this exceptionally funny given the fact that a) we've known about the immense size of this vehicle for a long while, b) we've also known that it's run by a crab-steering system made for transporting cargo on flat land, and c) this outdoor scene is shorter than expected, and thank goodness that it is. you'll see the temple in the queue, and you'll see it once again when you approach it. as you step outside, you also don't want everyone's eyes to get too used to the light, so heading back into the showbuilding with relative haste is more beneficial than you'd think.

in other news, i just died (and spilled my wine) because of that short testing snippet.
Exactly. A long time ago Teebin made us aware of the vehicle's unique steering. And there was even a link to a video of it at the time. And, if I remember correctly, the forum comments were positive and excited. I like the idea of the outside scene because it helps establish the mood, setting and emphasizes the dramatic beginning of the ride. And since Universal has already told us the attraction's actual ride portion is apx. 6 minutes in length, that means nearly all the time is spent with the indoor effects and drama. Last week there were some so called experts on other sites saying there wasn't much to the ride and a substantial part of the ride was in the uneventful (at least to them, not me) outdoor section,and that the indoor section was short & only one screen plus the ape. Well, it looks like almost every moment is inside in the four or five scenes our true expert Teebin has told us about repeatedly in the past. This attraction is still following true to what we've been told here on OU,the most accurate & interesting site on the internet for Universal information.

I'd love to talk to an engineer about what the exact advantages are for this wifi/lps/trackless system vs a Spidey/Indy/CTX. Obviously there is no "track" per se, but the RV still follows the exact same path every time (case in point, the tire tracks). So what is the benefit of this system in the end, since, from a show perspective, it's still obvious that the RV is following a predetermined path? Is there higher reliability? Just thinking out loud.

The largest advantage is maintenance. Anytime you can completely remove mechanical parts that wear and require attention you are saving significant cost in the long run.
Its one of the few reasons MagLev tech is so appealing over traditional rail (except for your electric bill)

Having an exposed road to the public also clearly is a great design feature of the ride, one of the greatest features of KS at Animal Kingdom if you ask me.

I also believe this helps daily safety check time. With one less portion of the track to inspect they can move faster through the daily start up inspection.

The CTX design also had a long of flaws. They rely on that physical contact to supply power, any minor hiccup or disconnect shuts down the system.

Example is the dip under the bridge on Indy, the angle was designed too sharp and the dip often causes the bus bars to skip, which triggers the safely stop all the time, which is why that ride has a high reset.

These are just some of the big factors.

But don't overlook that its just a new tech and its brings more attraction from the public ;-)

It appears there is someone in the driver seat if you look close they have a white shirt onView attachment 1617 . I don't believe it is a real person.

I'm not so sure. If you lighten the shadows, it looks like the top of a gas tank or something. I'd say it's in the drivers seat but I'm not sure what side the driver should be on given the location of Kong Island.

GIZPaUL.jpg

So this is the day I've been waiting for! (besides riding it)

The RVs look great! Seeing those swing around the loop at night with headlights on will be all time!

A few things I pick up
- Many speakers mounted up in the canopy of the truck, look like announcement speakers more than show speakers.
- It looks like they have both sides of the RV rigged to open (two sets of hydraulics), that could raise questions since both load/unload are from one side.....
- There are still a bunch of electrical cables bundled, something else is going up there.
- While the sides look completely open, it does look like there are provisions for fiberglass siding.

These vehicles are bohemoths.

I wonder if they are running at "show speed...?" the vehicle seems to slow down considerably after it is inside the gates.

I am really surprised that it doesn't look as long as I had imagined. I thought it would be stupid long. That's going to be tight seating!
12 rows of 6, yeah? Doesnt look terribly tight. if anything the sense / feeling of claustrophia will elevate tensions/fears.

These vehicles are bohemoths.

I wonder if they are running at "show speed...?" the vehicle seems to slow down considerably after it is inside the gates.

12 rows of 6, yeah? Doesnt look terribly tight. if anything the sense / feeling of claustrophia will elevate tensions/fears.

With the amount of movement on the uneven surface already I would be very surprised if they go any faster on that corner. It would be too dangerous.

As far as the slowing down in the gate, definitely looks like tight testing or timing tests for scenery effects =)

I think it will at least keep the speed to clear the gate so the show doors can close.

But then i bet we definiteyl slow down to a 'woah lets slow down we are in uncharted territory' :)

Reactions: Ryno27
Awesome to see it testing and just goes to show that @Teebin has been bang on the money gain with this one. Intrigued as to what the tarp is hiding.

Seeing testing has given me some hope, although very slim, that I might get lucky with softs before I leave on May 14. Like I say a long shot but I'm holding on to that hope non the less.

Yeah, I reasoned that the awnings are still off so that the show directors can see the whole thing... more than they are supposed to see. Too, those vehicles move much faster than I imagined. I thought it would be half that speed.

As the video is so short, it doesn't show the entrance into the building. Does it stop there at all? I assumed that it might.

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S
Status
Not open for further replies.