Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 325 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Thank you for the info, but yeah... I think my expectations were apparently WAY too high for this, and they've now dropped through the floor. Sounds like the only thing to look forward to for me is going to be Kong himself at the end. Hopefully when I get to ride it I'll be pleasantly surprised by the rest of it.

I'm in the same boat as you, after reading the spoilers you quoted. :pray:

Reactions: universal_fanatic
So I know this doesnt belong here but someone had mentioned the screen use of POTC in Shanghai so i went to check out a POV.

Hot damn that ride looks awesome! That's the balance of screens to set work/facades i want to see here!

That scene between the two ships?!?! :drool:

My expectations are that of riding on a self guided cargo platform through a themed indoor venue with a mix of screen based visuals and animatronics. That alone is entertainment enough for me :)
I'm pretty much the same, though I'm excited for the queue now too. I'm mainly interested in the self-driving vehicle.

Reactions: Mike S and sporadic
What specifically interests you in the ride vehicle?
Two things really:
  • I've never seen a large self-driving vehicle in person, and I'd like to see how well it copes (I know it probably follows a pre-programmed path instead of intelligently navigating, but it's still quite interesting)
  • I'm interested in how they'll do motion for the screens - whether they'll put us onto a tilting section of ground, like in Kong 360 3D, or if they'll have somehow implemented tilting into the vehicle itself (I'm guessing the former)

Reactions: Ryno27
So I know this doesnt belong here but someone had mentioned the screen use of POTC in Shanghai so i went to check out a POV.

Hot damn that ride looks awesome! That's the balance of screens to set work/facades i want to see here!

That scene between the two ships?!?! :drool:
100% Agree, POTC Shanghai is the go to example of when screens don't overpower an attraction.

Reactions: Cole and Mike S
  • I've never seen a large self-driving vehicle in person, and I'd like to see how well it copes (I know it probably follows a pre-programmed path instead of intelligently navigating, but it's still quite interesting)
  • I'm interested in how they'll do motion for the screens - whether they'll put us onto a tilting section of ground, like in Kong 360 3D, or if they'll have somehow implemented tilting into the vehicle itself (I'm guessing the former)

You will have fun then. And the tilting is the former. The vehicles have had enough trouble communicating with the show building. The last thing they need is for them to tilt and shake on their own too. ;)

You will have fun then. And the tilting is the former. The vehicles have had enough trouble communicating with the show building. The last thing they need is for them to tilt and shake on their own too. ;)
Haha I hope I do! The tilting would have probably been a bit much for the vehicle to handle, but the communication issues sounnds interesting, hopefully it gets ironed out!

Reactions: Mike S
From what I've seen UC is using the stock chassis from VLC so there won't be any built in motion to the vehicle. The stock chassis barely has 3" of suspension travel, most of which are just hard dampeners.

I'm quite sure and I believe it was mentioned that they will be using a dynamic floor for these scenes.

What I'm curious about is what they are using to position/center/and perhaps lock the vehicles for these scenes.
The back lot tram simply uses alignment wheels and a tight bumper railing to align the vehicle properly.
I haven't been able to see if the RV has any similar feature, however its autonomous so maybe needing that alignment is not required?

Tram Wheel.jpg

From what I gather, guidance is handled by a magnetic ground system isn't it? My rough take would be something like a PLC interface for ride control, taking input based off traditional sensors and wireless data links, the later for more non-critical (as in life) show triggers / tracking. I imagine the environment isn't very RF friendly at all. Any more details, patents, or FCC docs on the system anywhere? I geek out on stuff like that.

Reactions: Sean
The problem with expectations is they are inflated by some of the "insiders" who end up misleading the fan community.

I've heard Kong described as "possibly the best ride in the world" by some podcasters. That doesn't set expectations at a realistic level.

I've been skeptical all along of the ride's fear factor as well as its reliance on screens.

I expect this to be an entertaining attraction, but I was hoping Kong would represent a step forward for UC, something that's not derivative of Gringotts et al.

If this ride is primarily screens with a little prop scenery in between the vehicles and the screens I'll be disappointed. If it's got less physical props than Gringotts then I'll assume UC ain't really C.