Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 323 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I kept hearing this ride has more AA's than you think. Then Muse pointed out there are 3-4. Thats definitely less than I was expecting but I'm sure they will still look amazing.

That's more than I was fearing, but definitely fewer than I was hoping!

There's no animatronic in the bug pit scene.

Big-time missed opportunity.

I can't imagine what Universal could possibly do in that scene to unnerve me via ride film, but I can guarantee seeing those insanely disgusting bugs and creatures brought to life "in the flesh" would likely really weird me out in the very best way. When people have been talking about the ride as really frightening and intense, I'm wondering how that's going to be achieved. I don't find 3D to be terribly frightening, so - to ask a rhetorical question - there's got to be more, right?

Reactions: Ryno27
Thanks for the pics, Izzy! The angles for a little funky for the mountain backdrop but I'm honestly impressed by how they blended the show building compared to other attractions. :cough: FJ :cough:

My Fig! Thanks Izzy! That is a Bolivian Tipu tree behind it in the distance. I so miss the world of Florida plants.

The murals are growing on me... I cannot imagine being the art director on making that call.

LOL glad I helped with the pics. I just kept snapping pics. My daughter was not feeling well and the ride bothered her stomach or I would have gone on more and tried to get more. It was a walk on in the morning.

The angles from the ground work much better, so it is going to look a little strange from up there.

Reactions: Nico
So... Your thoughts on the actual operation?

Do you think it will have much effect on park crowds? Anything at all near the Potter effect?

It has good capacity numbers assuming it doesn't have a lot of down times. Do you think it will have long waits? Beyond the first few months..?

What about single riders? With such a large vehicle and a fairly long loading time, is there really any reason to bother with single riders?

Do you think it will change crowd dynamics in the park at all? Like will people flock to Kong instead of Journey at park opening?

Epcot is the only park ive ever seen really do a split for the sprint - between Soarin and Test Track. Every other park has some minor draws but one clear "must go to" attraction at rope drop.

And do you think Kong will open for early park admission?

Or lead to longer park hours? Kong seems to be built with night viewing keenly in mind, and Hulk obviously is.. Suggesting perhaps more IOA nights in the future.

Your predictions..?

Do you think it will have much effect on park crowds? Anything at all near the Potter effect?

It has good capacity numbers assuming it doesn't have a lot of down times. Do you think it will have long waits? Beyond the first few months..?

What about single riders? With such a large vehicle and a fairly long loading time, is there really any reason to bother with single riders?

Do you think it will change crowd dynamics in the park at all? Like will people flock to Kong instead of Journey at park opening?

Epcot is the only park ive ever seen really do a split for the sprint - between Soarin and Test Track. Every other park has some minor draws but one clear "must go to" attraction at rope drop.

Or lead to longer park hours? Kong seems to be built with night viewing keenly in mind, and Hulk obviously is.. Suggesting perhaps more IOA nights in the future.

Your predictions..?

The thing with Universal is, they build "E-ticket" style rides all over each of their parks. Disney only has 1 or 2 per park that people rush to at rope drop. At US, you have Gringotts, Rockit and Transformers. At IoA you have FJ, Spiderman, Hulk and Kong. Even then, you still have a lot more thrilling rides. This is why Universal has rightfully earned the "theme park of adults" image. Nearly every ride is a thrill ride with very few "kid friendly" rides that cover nearly every single Disney park.

I don't think Kong will change things to much in the long term. First few months maybe it will but HP will forever be the big draw at Universal and IoA.

With a nearly 6 minute long ride time and 5 massive trucks, it's going to be an interesting thing to see how the line works. Will the line have "show rooms" that tell you back story to help break it up like Gringotts or will it be done FJ style where you have to let people move ahead of you if you want to stop and watch the "pre-shows"? Will the station have a set unload area and then the truck drives up the loading area empty or will it happen in the same area? How long is the intended loading time. Trying to get 72 people loaded at once will take some time I think.

As far as park hours go, it is going to be interesting. I feel like they will keep IoA open longer this summer once they both open but during slow season, i'm not sure. I still feel like bringing back to the two park concept for HHN would be an ideal thing to do this year but I am 99% sure that won't happen.

I hate to be a debbie downer, but people are blowing this ride way out of proportion. There is no gore in this ride. Your driver doesn't get kidnapped or eaten alive. Unfortunately, everyone lives happily ever after. There seems to be this misconception that the bug pit scene is going to be terrifying. Actually, there a misconception that the ride itself in general is going to be terrifying.

Lower your expectations a bit. The queue is far scarier than the ride itself.

And unfortunately, I believe you are all going to be disappointed by the percentage of "screen time" there is in this ride. It's the majority of the attraction.

Would you say it's a similar percentage to Gringotts?

Your predictions..?

I think it'll be hard to ignore a shiny, new Hulk at the park's entrance for most. I have a feeling this is a ride whose waits will build later in the day as people circle the park in both directions (either starting with MSHI or Seuss or straight to Potter). Plus, this looks to be another ride with great capacity to add the park's big people eaters (Forbidden Journey, Jurassic Park, etc).

As far as the Potter Effect, not even close if you're referring to Hogsmeade. I think it'll be more of a quiet killer like Transformers and Diagon Alley. Basically Disney fanbois will be racing to say it's underperforming and gloat as Frozstorm has 180 minute waits on a typical day.

Maaan, I disappear for a couple of days with flue and look what I miss! :p Izzy, some really awesome pics there :)
Shame to see Muse go, hopefully they change their mind when we all welcome him back :)

As I won't get anywhere near the big Ape for a few years, I'm excitedly waiting for a good ride video. So yeah, months :p

Reactions: Mike S
Here's to hoping someone posts a decent POV during softs. I'll be heading out there in July, but I'm not sure I'll be able to resist watching a few ride-thrus beforehand. I was never able to experience the original Kong, so I guess my expectations aren't as high as most others here. I'll just be happy to see that giant Kong animatronic (hopefully complete with banana breath ;)).

Reactions: LiamRowbotham
A little disapointed with that description. Things can be taken way out of hand when hyped enough or playing telephone. Whatever though it's still gonna be amazing even with some really cool stuff talked about on here unfortunately not being true. Hope the AAs are great

I also agree, I think hogsmeade really isn't that crowded anymore anyways but I think Kong and especially hulk will add too much capacity to the park and make some crazy waits like spiderman or FJ more manageable

Today is our last day for this trip. As soon as the family gets going we will make our way there and I'll post a wall update if no one else does.

Reactions: Ryno27
I'm glad to see expectations for this starting to be tempered a bit. I'm looking forward to the ride and I'm sure it'll be great, but if I'm being honest, I've been more excited about the Hulk refurb from the beginning.

A little disapointed with that description. Things can be taken way out of hand when hyped enough or playing telephone. Whatever though it's still gonna be amazing even with some really cool stuff talked about on here unfortunately not being true. Hope the AAs are great

I also agree, I think hogsmeade really isn't that crowded anymore anyways but I think Kong and especially hulk will add too much capacity to the park and make some crazy waits like spiderman or FJ more manageable
No such thing as too much capacity.

Reactions: Cole
The thing with Universal is, they build "E-ticket" style rides all over each of their parks. Disney only has 1 or 2 per park that people rush to at rope drop. At US, you have Gringotts, Rockit and Transformers. At IoA you have FJ, Spiderman, Hulk and Kong. Even then, you still have a lot more thrilling rides. This is why Universal has rightfully earned the "theme park of adults" image. Nearly every ride is a thrill ride with very few "kid friendly" rides that cover nearly every single Disney park.

I don't think Kong will change things to much in the long term. First few months maybe it will but HP will forever be the big draw at Universal and IoA.

With a nearly 6 minute long ride time and 5 massive trucks, it's going to be an interesting thing to see how the line works. Will the line have "show rooms" that tell you back story to help break it up like Gringotts or will it be done FJ style where you have to let people move ahead of you if you want to stop and watch the "pre-shows"? Will the station have a set unload area and then the truck drives up the loading area empty or will it happen in the same area? How long is the intended loading time. Trying to get 72 people loaded at once will take some time I think.

As far as park hours go, it is going to be interesting. I feel like they will keep IoA open longer this summer once they both open but during slow season, i'm not sure. I still feel like bringing back to the two park concept for HHN would be an ideal thing to do this year but I am 99% sure that won't happen.

The load/unload is on the same straight of the track but they are separated. Passenger loading and unloading is from the same side (the right). I've been told there is a small wall section of the "temple" to break up the two so you only see a fresh empty vehicle coming to pick you up for your adventure!

Its also why the scene count includes one for the load and one for the unload, there will be a vehicle at each. They cant have a vehicle waiting behind another to unload as the vehicle would be hanging back into one of the finale scenes.

Still up according to Twitter.
CiQfjdSU4AAfb3G.jpg:large

Heading to the parks today. With walls still up, I am pessimistic. However, I haven't been to the parks in months so I am excited and hopefully will a least get a glimpse of the fog.