Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
duelos-de-cine-king-kong-godzilla-original.jpg

If the Deadline report is true, it's kind of bizarre on a number of levels. First, Legendary was said to have basically severed their ties with Warner Bros. last year before moving onto Universal as their distribution arm.

Second, does Universal not have Kong movie rights of some kind? I know the history of King Kong's copyright is convoluted, but I've been told that - outside of Universal - not just any studio can go ahead with a new live action film featuring Kong.

Third, the size difference between the new Godzilla and the new Kong would (presumably) make any conflict patently ridiculous.

Fourth, why would Universal allow Legendary to take the picture elsewhere? Surely there were already contracts and deals in place. Why would Universal let the project go (assuming they did) when they're building a gigantic attraction that will end up promoting a competitor's movie. I mean, yes, Universal licenses the I.P.s of its competitors all the time, but they've always claimed that Kong was an important character to the studio (even on the filmmaking side), so to see Legendary take the movie over to Warner Bros. must sting.

If it's true.

Skull island was gonna be trash anyways and ruin what made kong so great. I hate the idea of all of this, the PJ version was phenomenal, just end it at that please

Maybe this will be a co-production of sorts, like they did recently for "Dumb & Dumber To" and New Line Cinema.

Skull island was gonna be trash anyways and ruin what made kong so great. I hate the idea of all of this, the PJ version was phenomenal, just end it at that please

Do you have some inside knowledge to share? Seems a little early to declare the movie a misfire before it's even been shot.

Reactions: tielo
If the Deadline report is true, it's kind of bizarre on a number of levels. First, Legendary was said to have basically severed their ties with Warner Bros. last year before moving onto Universal as their distribution arm.

Second, does Universal not have Kong movie rights of some kind? I know the history of King Kong's copyright is convoluted, but I've been told that - outside of Universal - not just any studio can go ahead with a new live action film featuring Kong.

Third, the size difference between the new Godzilla and the new Kong would (presumably) make any conflict patently ridiculous.

Fourth, why would Universal allow Legendary to take the picture elsewhere? Surely there were already contracts and deals in place. Why would Universal let the project go (assuming they did) when they're building a gigantic attraction that will end up promoting a competitor's movie. I mean, yes, Universal licenses the I.P.s of its competitors all the time, but they've always claimed that Kong was an important character to the studio (even on the filmmaking side), so to see Legendary take the movie over to Warner Bros. must sting.

If it's true.

Technically, Kong rights are public domain as anyone can make a kong film (same thing with most fairy tale characters like Peter Pan etc). Universal was just the only studio to capitalize them.

This Skull Island film has been a mess ever since JK Simmons and Michael Keaton pulled out from being the leads which make me believe there wasn't a super strong script. Studios have been known to give other studios their projects if they feel they aren't working for them.

The new problem arising for the parks was if they were trying to do a cross platform promotion with the film being WB and not UNI anymore.

Sorry for the double post, but I think I found the graph that shows the problem of this plan.

This doesn't show Godzilla based on the most recent movie.

For the most recent movie, I've seen some people estimate he is more than 300 feet tall.

To make up for the difference in size, King Kong could fight 'Son of Godzilla' who would be more similar in size to King Kong or fight multiple children of Godzilla. Alternatively, there could be a descendant or multiple descendants of King Kong that live in the present day like Godzilla in the recent movie that for some reason is/are more similar in size to Godzilla that fight Godzilla.

A maybe more strange alternative would instead have many descendant of King Kong that are similar in size to Kong in the 2004 King Kong movie fight 2014 size Godzilla. This last option would maybe try to seem similar to the recent Planet of the Apes movies somehow. Many Godzilla and King Kong fans might find this weird and maybe even the general public would as well, but maybe it could be made to work at least for the general public.

Last edited:
Universal creative stated the attraction is going to have it's own story.
While they re-use the assats of Peter Jackson's in no way it's anything less or more than it's own story. There is no connection to the new or past movies other then it's about a big ape on scull Island.

Do you have some inside knowledge to share? Seems a little early to declare the movie a misfire before it's even been shot.
Well what made skull island so interesting in the first place was you didn't know anything about it. Why dinosaurs were there, why the wildlife was so big, where did the natives come from, all unexplained. It made you more and more curious as you watched the film and created a foreboding sense of mystery. It's something you don't get in films nowadays and by just explaining it is ruining everything. That's why skull island is gonna suck, it's gonna destroy an awesome thing just like how Prometheus destroyed alien's mystery elements. Sometimes it's best just not to know

The King Kong character transcends any one movie or platform.......that is why Universal is building this attraction. It's a well-known name and story that just about everyone knows. It should make for a really fun and jaw dropping experience with the recent advancements in attraction related technologies.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The King Kong character transcends any one movie or platform.......that is why Universal is building this attraction. It's a well-known name and story that just about everyone knows. It should make for a really fun and jaw dropping experience with the recent advancements in attraction related technologies.
You got it. Kong is Great. :agree:

Hey, UC have worked closely with WB recently on a little project called Harry Potter. Speaking of, is Skull Island at IOA going to be its own land or will it be integrated into Jurassic Park since it will have giant dinos running around? I might have missed this info before on here.

Hey, UC have worked closely with WB recently on a little project called Harry Potter. Speaking of, is Skull Island at IOA going to be its own land or will it be integrated into Jurassic Park since it will have giant dinos running around? I might have missed this info before on here.
Own land.

Reactions: krazykat