So when will the Kid Zone closures begin? | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

So when will the Kid Zone closures begin?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I really can't fathom any scenario where losing both MIB and E.T. to Nintendo would be a fair trade-off for me. I recognize I'm an extreme minority on this board, but it really does seem sometimes like Universal is doing all it can to replace attractions I like (based around movies and properties I like) with attractions based around properties I care about substantially less.

Those rides weren’t doing squat to bring people in for a good decade in the aughts.

Maybe it’s time for people to realize the classic Universal attractions were a niche product in the last years of their lives.

Those niche product attractions are the attractions that made me - and lots of others - a Universal fan. Those attractions are the reason my family and I have spent countless thousands of dollars visiting USF over the last 2o+ years.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
I really can't fathom any scenario where losing both MIB and E.T. to Nintendo would be a fair trade-off for me. I recognize I'm an extreme minority on this board, but it really does seem sometimes like Universal is doing all it can to replace attractions I like (based around movies and properties I like) with attractions based around properties I care about substantially less.

Those niche product attractions are the attractions that made me - and lots of others - a Universal fan. Those attractions are the reason my family and I have spent countless thousands of dollars visiting USF over the last 2o+ years.

Do you do guest surveys when asked....?

Reactions: Joel

Sure, but you also can’t dismiss the fact that Universal has been SIGNIFICANTLY more successful since they’ve got rid of those attractions

Sure, but you also can’t dismiss the fact that Universal has been SIGNIFICANTLY more successful since they’ve got rid of those attractions

I would never deny the positive business impact. That doesn't mean my enjoyment of the park has increased along with their revenue. I enjoy USF significantly less today than I did even just 10 years ago.

Reactions: UNIrd and Ashhanbre
I would never deny the positive business impact. That doesn't mean my enjoyment of the park has increased along with their revenue. I enjoy USF significantly less today than I did even just 10 years ago.

And I enjoy EPCOT less than I did 20 years ago. Doesn’t mean Disney isn’t happy with all the choices they’ve made there that make them the most money possible

Reactions: SeventyOne
And I enjoy EPCOT less than I did 20 years ago. Doesn’t mean Disney isn’t happy with all the choices they’ve made there that make them the most money possible

*sigh*

Epcot has lower attendance than it did 20 years ago, but higher guest spending. o, now the focus is to regain the lost attendance.

Reactions: Andysol
It sounds like it's all good news, just delayed for improvement. This would explain fast tracking other projects (MoM/SLoP) to compensate.

To be honest, that's all that matters IMO. It gives Universal a chance to prepare the main USF park for the crowds, setting up high capacity attractions that should be really good to great attractions.

If that means SNW is delayed a year to add more to it; and giving more prep time for USF, we'll be good.

What? You don't like Sears mannequins on a turntable? Or is it the alien acid trip that needs work in you eyes?

They did add LED strobe light flashes to the alien party scene to give the illusion of more action going on a few years ago, so there's *some* new technology for you.

what's that pleasure Island club/dance floor thingie have to do with anything?!?!

:saywhat:

Reactions: JoeCamel
Okay, let me rephrase. I like WDW as a whole less than I did 10 years ago, but Disney is clearly not making the wrong decisions overall

I enjoy WDW less than I did 10 years ago, too, and Disney has absolutely made many wrong decisions for their theme parks, regardless of the financial benefits of those decisions. Ditto for Universal (as it relates to USF; IOA is still terrific).

Just because decisions raise revenue does not mean they're good decisions for the parks, nor does it mean we have to defend those decisions. It's never been a question of not understanding why these decisions are made.

A massive Nintendo land (which eats up MIB and E.T.) at USF would undoubtedly be good for attendance and guest spending. Will it result in a park I enjoy more than I do today? Almost certainly not. Again, that's just me. I only speak for myself.

Except that’s exactly what it means. These parks are there to make money and help people have fun. Anything that raises revenue and brigs more people in is exactly good for the park.

I have a feeling we must have a semantics disconnect, because I fundamentally disagree with this as I interpret it.

For example, propping up Epcot on three festivals instead of investing continuously in new and refreshed attractions over the last decade has absolutely not been good for the theme park as a theme park. That's been good for making Disney money. "Making more money" does not necessarily equal "more fun and enjoyable, with a better attraction lineup" for me.

Last edited:
I have a feeling we must have a semantics disconnect, because I fundamentally disagree with this as I interpret it.

For example, propping up Epcot on three festivals instead of investing continuously in new and refreshed attractions over the last decade has absolutely not been good for the theme park as a theme park. That's been good for making Disney money. "Making more money" does not necessarily equal "more fun and enjoyable, with a better attraction lineup" for me.

But ET -> Nintendo is not the same as “not investing”. You may not like it, but it’d be the opposite of bad for the park