Springfield Expansion | Page 269 | Inside Universal Forums

Springfield Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Although the sooner this opens the better, I don't think it's a disappointment. Sure, crowds are bigger during summer, but summer isn't quite over, and even when it is, there's hardly "slow" times at Universal anymore. I'm sure this is gonna see a lot of business. It should bring out locals, in addition to hosting the hoards of visitors that continue to make their way to Uni year-round from all around the world :cheers:

Plus as nice as this other stuff will be, FFB is the real money maker. Especially when you consider it replacing IFF. People have been packing in there for over a month now, and the reviews have been stellar. So before it's even done, the project is off to a great start.

I am SO PUMPED! I'm going to be out there 3rd week of September. Havent been out since 2010 before Harry Potter. I have a lot of catching up to do.

The thing in that article that caught my attention was the attraction based on ALIEN. Maybe Disneyhead was on to something!:look:
Has there been discussion/Intel on an Alien attraction? I know the original plan for Alien Encounter was to be based on Aliens, but they backed away from that for obvious reasons. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, so I'd like to see the Xeno's get more theme park love other than GMR.

Okay, is August 2 considered a disappointment? For some reason I remember people targeting July 4th. Regardless, I know I am excited.

It's a little bit of a disappointment as the entire project was originally scheduled for a late June completion. Several factors contributed to the delayed opening. There were numerous changes made to the original green lit plans. There were MAJOR theming and cosmetic changes made to all areas of the project which caused the project to start late (3 weeks) and also changes that forced last minute alterations to not just the features themselves but also last minute changes to Nassal as well as marketing. On top of that there were delays in the base construction of the spinner and a few small hiccups to some prefabbed materials. In the end yeah it sucks its opening about 4-5 weeks behind schedule but I'll take this version of 971 over some earlier and less impressive concepts for this area any day. You guys will have to trust me when I say it was worth the wait...

- - - Updated - - -

WHat about the Krustyland sign?

There are several features that will be installed over the coming days:thumbs:

- - - Updated - - -

I am SO PUMPED! I'm going to be out there 3rd week of September. Havent been out since 2010 before Harry Potter. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Just a little :lol:

OK, so everything is looking pretty good. The only disappointing part for me is the extra tentacles. I think they look a little cheesy and out of place. Maybe when the walls are down and I see this in person I will feel differently.

Hoping to talk husband into going Friday or Saturday night :)

Agreed on the tentacles. They look great in the concept art, but the real-life execution to me looks very different than the concept art. They look cheap/cheesy. I have to withhold judgement until the walls come down and everything opens though. Everything else in Springfield looks freaking AMAZING!!! I'm not a Simpsons fan, but I look forward to visiting Springfield when I come down in 7 weeks!

The concept art suggested just what we got with the tentacles. When you see lights mounted like that you know it is going to be flat marquee style. I think it is going to be Karney Kool looking at night. And I hate the franchise, but I am very impressed by the execution on this... except for the dual look bricks.

I think Izzy and AK-Jake mean design wise. I can kind of see it too; the tentacles on the actual spinner are realistic and rounded, while the other ones around are more boxy and cartoon-y. I don't mind it as much because it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a budget cut or design flaw, but more of a design choice to differentiate what's supposed to be the 'real' Kang from the carnival embellishment. Or at least I think of it that way.

EDIT: Teebs expressed it more eloquently. The 'extra tentacles' around are designed as "marquee style"; that's what I meant by "carnival embellishments" lol :thumbs:

Last edited:
What truly bothers me is the ugly, dirty grey wall alongside the water... And based on the concept art, it doesn't look like it will be going anywhere.

Honestly, I'll reserve my judgement until it's all done, but my initial feeling is that the spinner fits well in the area, gives the park one more lil' kid attraction, & it just looks good, at least in person. I walked around today & snapped some pics. Nothing much was done from yesterday, that was too noticeable.

DSC_0432.JPG

DSC_0437.JPG

DSC_0438.JPG

DSC_0396.JPG

DSC_0394.JPG

DSC_0406.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

DSC_0421.JPG

DSC_0407.JPG

DSC_0412.JPG

Reactions: natespf
The concept art suggested just what we got with the tentacles. When you see lights mounted like that you know it is going to be flat marquee style. I think it is going to be Karney Kool looking at night. And I hate the franchise, but I am very impressed by the execution on this... except for the dual look bricks.

I think the whole waterfront will look better at night. Aside from the Moe's sign, I like all the lighting choices they've made. I'm interested to see how the VIP seating comes out.