Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS) | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sounds like this ride is going to surprise some folks.
Which is surprising given that I feel like I as well as others have tried pretty hard to make it say “this is the really good one” and temper expectations on Falcon.

Also, excitement doesn’t always come from going fast-paced.

Reactions: HereWeGo and Alicia
Sounds like this ride is going to surprise some folks.

I hope in a good way, Alicia. I want to believe.

Which is surprising given that I feel like I as well as others have tried pretty hard to make it say “this is the really good one” and temper expectations on Falcon.

That had been my position until a few months ago when we started learning a bit more about the ride. I'm still expecting it's going to be "the really good one," because I think Disney knows it kind of has to at least be in the conversation for "Best Ride in Orlando" for most theme park fans, but I no longer have confidence it's going to be the magnum opus SW ride of the sort I was originally hoping.

Also, excitement doesn’t always come from going fast-paced.

Shouldn't a ride surprise you?

The idea of the cars going on a motion platform for a scene or two is novel. But I find it hard to believe the ride will have significant portions of motion. If it did, it wouldn't be using the simple trackless ride vehicles. It's too much extra work to bring the cars on and off motion platforms over and over quickly. Even the elevators will require locking mechanisms not needed for Transformers, as it's already on a track.

And since you are on simple transports, the motion must be related to "something bad happening" either via force telekenisis , or the ship around you falling apart.

The scoop is a vehicle designed for fast maneuvering, so the motion throughout Spidey makes sense.

This ride is going to try and mesh together a few very different ride experiences. If done right, it could be awesome. Or it could come across as a mishmash of lesser versions of other rides.

I take this rumor with a grain of salt. For these vehicles to do any serious motion on a motion base, they would have to be locked in to place, like Gringott's already is, as it's on a track. All Gringott's has to do is raise some bars, or put a lock into the wheels. For a trackless vehicle to be stabilized so that it can do any serious, it would need to be braked AND held on to the motion base in some fashion. Now, they could ride in to a 3 sided blocking device, and the back side raises up in to position. But that would require perfectly precise movement, and I would think you would still need to lock the RV to the floor in some manner. I don't know what the tolerance is on Disney's vehicles positioning, but it would need to be very low. And the locking very quick. Gringott's does this, but then the motion is far from Spider-man level.

Perhaps this will happen in a finale scene, but the RVs would likely have to leave for their own separate bases, sorta like Ratatouille does near the end.
Yes, they will be locked it at these points in the ride. From what I know there are two points in the ride where this occurs. If you look at the leaked image from the Disneyland CM magazine you can actually see how they will be locked in (there are several rectangle shaped holes in the very bottom of the RV). The trackless system has been optimized in these locations to align with just a few millimeters of clearance.
It also goes against the whole "more movement than Spider-man" comments.

Plus, it adds a pause to the ride. Kong has to lock in a Bus every 4 minutes or so for a long movie. This will be doing it likely on multiple parallel platforms in less than a minute for a 30 second scene.

Also, with most of the ride being fairly tame, I can't see it all of a sudden going crazy motion platform. If it opens that way, I foresee the motion being tamed as grandmas complain the ride was fine until it shook around like a rag doll at the end.
I wouldn't worry too much about being still. At least relative to a certain system you should be still (Still trying to narrow this one down but some sets may be moving in parallel with the RV). Also these scenes will be much shorter than 4 minutes. Much shorter. The motion will be *slightly* more tamed than Transformers. It's capable of much more, but the story doesn't lend itself to quite the level of motion of Transformers. Which brings me to this point: obviously the heightened movement will make sense in the ride story. The entire ride doesn't take place on a Star Destroyer ;)

Reactions: 12th Man and Alicia
That had been my position until a few months ago when we started learning a bit more about the ride. I'm still expecting it's going to be "the really good one," because I think Disney knows it kind of has to at least be in the conversation for "Best Ride in Orlando" for most theme park fans, but I no longer have confidence it's going to be the magnum opus SW ride of the sort I was originally hoping.

Shouldn't a ride surprise you?

The idea of the cars going on a motion platform for a scene or two is novel. But I find it hard to believe the ride will have significant portions of motion. If it did, it wouldn't be using the simple trackless ride vehicles. It's too much extra work to bring the cars on and off motion platforms over and over quickly. Even the elevators will require locking mechanisms not needed for Transformers, as it's already on a track.

And since you are on simple transports, the motion must be related to "something bad happening" either via force telekenisis , or the ship around you falling apart.

The scoop is a vehicle designed for fast maneuvering, so the motion throughout Spidey makes sense.

This ride is going to try and mesh together a few very different ride experiences. If done right, it could be awesome. Or it could come across as a mishmash of lesser versions of other rides.
Well, luckily we only have 6 months to wait until we hear reactions from Disneyland.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Like Potter. I think people will react more to the land then the actual rides. Not trying to knock the current Potter rides, but they aren’t even the best in their respective parks.

I give Spidey the nod over FJ ONLY because of story. Aesthetically I think FJ might be even better. It's a tough, tough call--they're both truly wonderful dark rides.

As much as I love the queue for EFG, I'm not too crazy about the ride itself. #TooManyScreenz

No 3D screens has be really excited. It makes me think the screens that are used will be great secondary background adders to the physical scenes we are moving through. Like parts of shanghai pirates. This is what I think the guest really wants to see =)

Reactions: belloq87
No 3D screens has be really excited. It makes me think the screens that are used will be great secondary background adders to the physical scenes we are moving through. Like parts of shanghai pirates. This is what I think the guest really wants to see =)

That is the hope.

This talk of the RV being locked into place for certain scenes would indicate something else, however.

Do guests want to see figures stuck on the ground, moving the arms, and turning around, looking at each other, in a Star Wars ride?

AAs are great in some rides. But IMHO the Shaman in NRJ is a big pile of money that adds little to a ride that doesn't have much to start with.

Screens show high action. AAs show people inventing the printing press, singing, using a pick axe, and sitting on the ground talking to pigs.

Reactions: SkiBum
Do guests want to see figures stuck on the ground, moving the arms, and turning around, looking at each other, in a Star Wars ride?

AAs are great in some rides. But IMHO the Shaman in NRJ is a big pile of money that adds little to a ride that doesn't have much to start with.

Screens show high action. AAs show people inventing the printing press, singing, using a pick axe, and sitting on the ground talking to pigs.

I'd take an AA C-3PO over a projection of him, any day. Not to mention, Disney's newer AAs have proven to be capable of pretty dynamic motion (Ursula, Rocket, Olaf, Shaman, and those upcoming Belle AAs overseas).

And I have to disagree about the Shaman, it's clearly the best thing about that ride lol and adds the ride's only kinetic energy.

You're right in that screens show high action. But they can also lack depth and make a ride feel very flat. That's why the best rides, imo, know to incorporate both mediums and play to each's strengths.

I'd take an AA C-3PO over a projection of him, any day. Not to mention, Disney's newer AAs have proven to be capable of pretty dynamic motion (Ursula, Rocket, Olaf, Shaman, and those upcoming Belle AAs overseas).

And I have to disagree about the Shaman, it's clearly the best thing about that ride lol and adds the ride's only kinetic energy.

You're right in that screens show high action. But they can also lack depth and make a ride feel very flat. That's why the best rides, imo, know to incorporate both mediums and play to each's strengths.

Exactly. If you're looking out of a Star Destroyer's window, screens will show the starfields or the arrival of ships. But it helps to move through a hallway with set pieces as opposed to simply gliding past a screen that shows a hallway. The Haunted Mansion has the infinity hallway which would, I suppose, count as a screen but it works due to the setting. This ride could really set the bar at a new high. I will certainly be glad if it does. Seems like the overseas parks in China with Mystic Manor and new Pirates have been getting the cool toys.

Exactly. If you're looking out of a Star Destroyer's window, screens will show the starfields or the arrival of ships. But it helps to move through a hallway with set pieces as opposed to simply gliding past a screen that shows a hallway. The Haunted Mansion has the infinity hallway which would, I suppose, count as a screen but it works due to the setting. This ride could really set the bar at a new high. I will certainly be glad if it does. Seems like the overseas parks in China with Mystic Manor and new Pirates have been getting the cool toys.

And Pirates has like 4 AAs in it and lots of big screens. And the AAs are stationary.

Oh, and we've had a C-3PO AA for, what 25 years now?

Didn’t i read somewhere that there would be a bunch of stormtrooper AAs? Or is that just a rumor?
Also the latest update said we would come face to face with Kylo Ren. I’m betting he is an AA.

Reactions: therock
Didn’t i read somewhere that there would be a bunch of stormtrooper AAs? Or is that just a rumor?
Also the latest update said we would come face to face with Kylo Ren. I’m betting he is an AA.

Easy part with him is just keep the mask on. Then, you only have to worry about the movements of his torso, arms, hands, etc. The facial part becomes a non-factor and that is probably the most difficult to depict accurately.

the problem is, canonically, that he destroyed his mask, and wasn't wearing it at the end of episode VIII. And the rumor is he may have a different one in XI.

But they clearly are showing what you are to believe is a Kylo Ren AA, even though this ride supposedly takes place between VIII and XI.

Reactions: SkiBum