Super Nintendo World (Epic Universe) | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I feel this is why Luigi’s Mansion is rumored to be more like space rangers spin type Omnimover. That could be a people eater and help diverse the crowds a bit.

I appreciate they’re trying to make DK the best authentic ride possible even if it means slightly longer waits. This whole area will be busy until the next big thing comes to Orlando, even then this is gonna just simply be a busy spot. Hopefully it offers single riders.
In retrospect, couldn't they have designed the mine carts to have at least 8 seats?

In retrospect, couldn't they have designed the mine carts to have at least 8 seats?
You can't make it a long train due to the gimmick of jumping off the rails. Past the 1st couple rows that effect would be lost. Going 4 wide seating would add alot of weight which would be cause issues with the train design. The further weight gets away from the connection to the real track the more the forces get magnified.

If they were to add just 1 seat to each row, capacity would have reached 1.4K, the standard for most Uni dark rides, which is far better than a realistic 800-850 throughput, taking into account inefficient loading and/or slowdowns in ops. Add further impact from Express (if they ever decide to add) and capacity for standby can be diminished significantly to 500-600 an hour.

I suppose a question is: with the space, theme, and ride system chosen, how would you raise capacity? I think the ride looks incredible and is incredibly faithful to the games, while also seeming like an awesome and unique ride experience itself. It almost feels like one of those Choose 3 riddles: Space, Capacity, Ride System, Theming.

It will definitely be a sore spot in the resort, especially upon opening, but especially in a land with 2 other major rides with a third in seemingly active development, I wouldn't want them to change this incredibly unique experience just to shuffle people through faster.

I feel with the boom aspect, weight of the train really is a factor. I personally think they could have gotten away with two cars attached but I feel also some would scream how unauthentic that is. I think if the Pteranodon flyers can exist so can DK lol lol.

I suppose a question is: with the space, theme, and ride system chosen, how would you raise capacity? I think the ride looks incredible and is incredibly faithful to the games, while also seeming like an awesome and unique ride experience itself. It almost feels like one of those Choose 3 riddles: Space, Capacity, Ride System, Theming.
Very difficult, only solution would be to set the dispatch interval between trains as low as it can safely be. Seems like from the videos so far, it could theoretically clear each block section somewhere around 10-12 secs. At 12-sec intervals & 2.5 minutes you'll need about 13 individual trains to fulfill that rate, and capacity will be much more manageable.

It will definitely be a sore spot in the resort, especially upon opening, but especially in a land with 2 other major rides with a third in seemingly active development, I wouldn't want them to change this incredibly unique experience just to shuffle people through faster.
It's a unique experience, but I wish an additional seat was added to each row. Just 2 more people could reduce wait-times by ~30%.

It's great that Epic has plans for expansions, but that won't happen until 3+ years after opening if we're lucky.

I think if the Pteranodon flyers can exist so can DK lol lol.
Pteranodon Flyers was meant for a specific group of park guests, DK is meant for the masses.

If it were me, and the design of the vehicle were locked, I would add a second, parallel load station with carts that fully stop for people who need extra time to board. Let those karts seamlessly enter the track as Forbidden Journey does. That alone would dramatically reduce station stops/restarts and keep the vehicles pumping through, getting you closer to the theoretical capacity, at least.

Very difficult, only solution would be to set the dispatch interval between trains as low as it can safely be. Seems like from the videos so far, it could theoretically clear each block section somewhere around 10-12 secs. At 12-sec intervals & 2.5 minutes you'll need about 13 individual trains to fulfill that rate, and capacity will be much more manageable.

It's a unique experience, but I wish an additional seat was added to each row. Just 2 more people could reduce wait-times by ~30%.

It's great that Epic has plans for expansions, but that won't happen until 3+ years after opening if we're lucky.

Pteranodon Flyers was meant for a specific group of park guests, DK is meant for the masses.
3 person rows aren't ideal. People don't travel in groups of 3 for the most part. You can alleviate some of that with single rider, but it means most the time you are sitting next to someone you don't know.

Now 3 rows of 2 would be more user friendly. It does affect the illusion and add more weight though.

Reactions: Suchomimus
I like the idea of having multiple loading areas. I think that would help a lot.

I would not add more seats or people to the ride. I’m already worried about this ride design being potentially vulnerable to cracks with the way it’s suspended from the wheel bogies.

Universal has shown an ability to learn from past criticisms. They did it with "too many screens," (most of Universal's current rides rely far more on practical effects with screens used more sparingly) so hopefully future E tickets will be fully though trough for capacity.
I mean have they? The last ride built was all screens. Sure we had VC and Hagrids before that, but the main complaint was in Studios which the last 3 rides there were screen heavy. IOA didn't really have that complaint. I agree a lot of Epic seems to not rely on screens, but we also don't enough about all the inside stuff.

Gotta wonder if the theme park land had anything to do with Nintendo announcing Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Switch today as this is the game it’s based on since
the final boss of this game in particular appears on the ride as rumored by @Alicia.

The discussion over throughput is valid but there are other aspects that play in this ride.
Putting 4 guests in a single ride vehicle (no train) is needed for the many effects to work for the riders. A long train would possibly raise the capacity but significantly ruin the experience for most riders.
Making the ride much longer is an option but this highly themed ride would cost so much more that I think building another ride in the park would be a better choice as the length probably won't make the ride more fun.
Hype for a ride will eventually die down when newer rides are introduced, you can't make a ride for the popularity of the few opening years. Is a ride longer successful, like Hagrid's', Universal decided to build a new theme park to alleviate the crowds and we win. ;)

The discussion over throughput is valid but there are other aspects that play in this ride.
Putting 4 guests in a single ride vehicle (no train) is needed for the many effects to work for the riders. A long train would possibly raise the capacity but significantly ruin the experience for most riders.
Making the ride much longer is an option but this highly themed ride would cost so much more that I think building another ride in the park would be a better choice as the length probably won't make the ride more fun.
Hype for a ride will eventually die down when newer rides are introduced, you can't make a ride for the popularity of the few opening years. Is a ride longer successful, like Hagrid's', Universal decided to build a new theme park to alleviate the crowds and we win. ;)

Making a ride longer doesn’t actually increase capacity, capacity is a function of guest dispatch intervals.

Reactions: fryoj and IzzyB