The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 378 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it hasn't been used since 26. So that might tell you something.
I was told it’s been pulled out for this year.

EDIT to add -

Universal has the luxury of using the vortex when they feel they need to. A lot of smaller events (including Howl-o-scream) design to use their vortexes every year because it’s an easy effect they want to get their money out of. A vortex purchase can take a good chunk out of those events’ budgets. It’s a drop in the bucket for Universal, that they got their money’s worth out of decades ago.

The vortex they used in 26, is the same vortex they used in 22, and 20, and 12. To my knowledge, Universal has never had to replace the hardware. They simply design and purchase skins for whatever they’re looking to do.

Last edited:

EDIT to add -

Universal has the luxury of using the vortex when they feel they need to. A lot of smaller events (including Howl-o-scream) design to use their vortexes every year because it’s an easy effect they want to get their money out of. A vortex purchase can take a good chunk out of those events’ budgets. It’s a drop in the bucket for Universal, that they got their money’s worth out of decades ago.

The vortex they used in 26, is the same vortex they used in 22, and 20, and 12. To my knowledge, Universal has never had to replace the hardware. They simply design and purchase skins for whatever they’re looking to do.
That’s interesting that it’s being used this year. I could see it going into Bettlejuice or maybe one of the originals.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
They used it in 20 with a nifty “icon” skin; images of icons faces lined the vortex. I could see them attempting to reuse that.
Yeah that might just be the easiest thing for them to do instead of taking the time to make a new skin for it. I don’t know what condition the skin is it, but if it’s in relatively good condition then they could just put it back on.

ive always hated that vortex thing....
very annoying, it feels like a waste of a room. i know it might sense in the context of a house, part of the story or something.
but it isnt that cool and it wastes a room and its a room without actors or decorations. it just... spins.... :ack:

Reactions: londonwerecat
very annoying, it feels like a waste of a room. i know it might sense in the context of a house, part of the story or something.
but it isnt that cool and it wastes a room and its a room without actors or decorations. it just... spins.... :ack:
(This is a joke. Please don’t take it personally)

HHN Fans: no you can’t just put vortex in a house. It doesn’t work in every house.

HHN: ha ha vortex go whoosh whoosh

It’s a transition piece, and sometimes the narrative requires it.

It was vital in The In-Between and Interstellar Terror, subtly appropriate in Hallow’d Past, and downright brilliant in Dead End.

Sure. They sometimes use it simply for the disorientation. But when they don’t? When they use it cause they need it? It’s the only way to tell the story.

It’s a transition piece, and sometimes the narrative requires it.

It was vital in The In-Between and Interstellar Terror, subtly appropriate in Hallow’d Past, and downright brilliant in Dead End.

Sure. They sometimes use it simply for the disorientation. But when they don’t? When they use it cause they need it? It’s the only way to tell the story.
I think it was also used well in Wonderland. A smart way of going down the rabbit hole.

(This is a joke. Please don’t take it personally)

HHN Fans: no you can’t just put vortex in a house. It doesn’t work in every house.

ha ha vortex go whoosh whoosh

HHN:

tenor.gif

EDIT to add -

I like how Universal uses it typically...I fondly remember the scene in Interstellar Terror where it was simulating the ship turning upside down. The scenes that followed were all upside down as well. Also when they hid it behind a scrim for either Dead End or Legendary Truth (can't remember) that was pretty cool.

BGT's has been in Bayou for years now and it never really moves. They also used it in a couple of 3D houses.

But yes, they're definitely getting their money's worth

EDIT to add -

I think some people may have missed the bolded.

They used it in 20 with a nifty “icon” skin; images of icons faces lined the vortex. I could see them attempting to reuse that.
And holy crap, has it been nearly 10 years already? It seems like just yesterday I was in that thing looking at the icons' faces.

That would be REALLY surprising, given the disorienting "touch the rail" factor.
It was pulled out of storage in January. Which is important. Once the vortex is in, it’s almost impossible to take it out without demoing stuff around it. Never mind scenes before and after a vortex are built with ramps to raise it the two feet necessary to get the vortex bridge.

Now, could they just... not turn it on? Sure. Could they have made changes to not need it before it got installed? Also possible. But once it’s in, it’s basically in.

It was pulled out of storage in January. Which is important. Once the vortex is in, it’s almost impossible to take it out without demoing stuff around it. Never mind scenes before and after a vortex are built with ramps to raise it the two feet necessary to get the vortex bridge.

Now, could they just... not turn it on? Sure. Could they have made changes to not need it before it got installed? Also possible. But once it’s in, it’s basically in.
Do you know how big it is? We could potentially guess which house it could be in based off of the size.

I mean, presuming this is in the fact the same vortex tunnel that was used in Asylum In Wonderland at 25, which was in Shrek, which was I believe even smaller that year (or used less space), it could probably be anywhere.

Does anyone know if the tunnel would fit in the sprung tent houses? It doesn’t seem like it could, so that could narrow down the possibilities of where it could be.

EDIT: I can’t imagine it fitting in the MIB tent either.

Status
Not open for further replies.