The Old KidZone Thread | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old KidZone Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should've said in general, not just Universal...Disney does it right, but no other movie properties lend themselves like Disney classic cartoons do.

And Seuss is not something that would happen today without movie overlays--theme parks today don't take the risks IoA did.

Well...good thing there are Seuss movies now.:lol:

But seriously, I think you're looking for problems that aren't there.

Just because it's a Disney movie doesn't mean it'll be a great ride. See: Little Mermaid.

And looking past the tech issues, Universal did pretty well with its Madagascar Crate Adventure. There's other family movies out there besides Disney films.

Yea. I don't want Madagascar's ride for USF, nor do I think we'd get it, but it's a pretty decent boat/dark ride.

They've worked with Sony before for MIB. Sony released The Smurfs movie, and is doing another one (and ALF as well.) Maybe they could replace E.T. with Alf!

I really have no idea what would be a good idea to go there that could be popular and last for 10+ years. Really don't mind E.T. staying.

Uni has flexed it's 'kid' rides power in Suess and the overall creativity of Toon Lagoon (i would say kidzone but possibly back in it's hayday) but I think Uni has been primarily focusing on appealing to the 'other' crowd that Disney sometimes struggles with- thrill seekers.

TOT, RNR, Test Track, EE, Mission space are the only rides I can think of that provide a substantial thrill (space mountain too) but those rides are sooooo spread out between all the parks that they dont have enough to satisfy that criteria without someone buying a parkhopper. I think Uni appeals to that crowd the most and thats why I favor Uni over Disney because of thrills. Now in order to make the complete package they need the kid's stuff. They can do it and they can do it well but theyve been focused on expanding their thrill factor of sorts and now they need to catch up

They've worked with Sony before for MIB. Sony released The Smurfs movie, and is doing another one (and ALF as well.) Maybe they could replace E.T. with Alf!

I really have no idea what would be a good idea to go there that could be popular and last for 10+ years. Really don't mind E.T. staying.

They could pick up on the high note that ALF ended on!

:blank:

Spongebob has staying power and certainly is recognizable across generations, and has the breadth to support a "land" with multiple rides and attractions........it would certainly make a nice companion to the bright colors of Springfield next door.

My choices for "Spongebob Land" (Bikini Bottom):

Voyage to Bikini Bottom trackless dark ride
Patrick's Starfish Coaster
Spongebob's Splash Zone (water play area)

Krusty Crab

- - - Updated - - -

Uni has flexed it's 'kid' rides power in Suess and the overall creativity of Toon Lagoon (i would say kidzone but possibly back in it's hayday) but I think Uni has been primarily focusing on appealing to the 'other' crowd that Disney sometimes struggles with- thrill seekers.

TOT, RNR, Test Track, EE, Mission space are the only rides I can think of that provide a substantial thrill (space mountain too) but those rides are sooooo spread out between all the parks that they dont have enough to satisfy that criteria without someone buying a parkhopper. I think Uni appeals to that crowd the most and thats why I favor Uni over Disney because of thrills. Now in order to make the complete package they need the kid's stuff. They can do it and they can do it well but theyve been focused on expanding their thrill factor of sorts and now they need to catch up

Going to Universal Orlando is like going to see 10 summer blockbusters in one day.

See, I think this is a bit of a misconception in the theme park world. Universal's parks are not nearly anywhere near what I'd call thrill seekers' paradise. Outside of Dragon Challenge, Hulk, and MAYBE Rockit their rides aren't really over the top thrills.

What Universal has set out to do, IMO, is show that they are the place for families with tweens/teens. The rides are still accessible and not overly daunting. They are world class, state of the art dark rides. Not thrill machines, IMO.

They could pick up on the high note that ALF ended on!

:blank:

I loved ALF when I was a kid.

That being said, the words ALF and theme park should never be put together.

Spongebob has staying power and certainly is recognizable across generations, and has the breadth to support a "land" with multiple rides and attractions........it would certainly make a nice companion to the bright colors of Springfield next door.

My choices for "Spongebob Land" (Bikini Bottom):

Voyage to Bikini Bottom trackless dark ride
Patrick's Starfish Coaster
Spongebob's Splash Zone (water play area)

Krusty Crab

That would be the worst thing they could do, IMO. Spongebob is long lived, but it's not a property to base a whole land off of.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean... I know it's been discussed for IOA.. and I'm just shooting in the dark here but:

Nintendo Land? :lol:

Would be awesome. But that'd be really, really hard to get, IMO.

I loved ALF when I was a kid.

That being said, the words ALF and theme park should never be put together.

I liked it too. I was more talking about the fact that the show basically ends with him being deserted by the last two members of his own kind and being captured to be tested and tortured by the government :lol:

See, I think this is a bit of a misconception in the theme park world. Universal's parks are not nearly anywhere near what I'd call thrill seekers' paradise. Outside of Dragon Challenge, Hulk, and MAYBE Rockit their rides aren't really over the top thrills.

What Universal has set out to do, IMO, is show that they are the place for families with tweens/teens. The rides are still accessible and not overly daunting. They are world class, state of the art dark rides. Not thrill machines, IMO.

See I guess my thought of thrill is just the overall sensation I get from the likes of Spidey, Hulk, doom, JRPA, Dragon, FJ, Rockit, Mummy, MIB, etc...but real THRILL is Millenium Force, Top thrill, Kingda Ka, Montu, Sheikra etc.....I guess it gets twisted sometimes but I think Uni offers a close to complete package in everything from kids to big thrills like hulk etc...they just need to make that close to complete package a full one by expanding on their kid's land. Which if and when they do it will be incredible and will continue to push Uni closer to the top spot in complete theme parks

I liked it too. I was more talking about the fact that the show basically ends with him being deserted by the last two members of his own kind and being captured to be tested and tortured by the government :lol:

Does it really? That's crazy.

Oh, and there was an ALF/Gremlins ride in Movie World.

[video=youtube_share;rzsoUdo6vYg]http://youtu.be/rzsoUdo6vYg[/video]

Apparently ALF is just the host (Bettlejuice was in the Australian version.) Still doesn't make any sense for ALF to be there. Universal would do him justice and it probably wouldn't take much to overhaul E.T. with ALF!

Apparently ALF is just the host (Bettlejuice was in the Australian version.) Still doesn't make any sense for ALF to be there. Universal would do him justice and it probably wouldn't take much to overhaul E.T. with ALF!

Do kids of this generation know who ALF is?

I do but Im 20

And the only reason I do is bc my dad introduced me to him.

If they overlaid ET with ALF, I would never step foot in the studios again :lol:

Where the hell did all this Alf talk come from.:fist:

Where the hell did all this Alf talk come from.:fist:

Was just jokingly suggesting a new property based on association with Sony (like MIB) since they'll do an ALF movie in a few years so his popularity might get big again. Didn't think it would turn into a conversation :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.