The Old KidZone Thread | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old KidZone Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was the best because it has Better Pirates, Better Space Mt, Better Small World, and Indy? :lol:

That helps.

UC is making strides with WWOHP and Springfield. They're filing things out quite nicely, just need to put together the smaller projects that have been long rumored.

The problem is they still don't have the small rides. They need like 2 Fantasyland level dark rides in each park, IMO.

The problem is they still don't have the small rides. They need like 2 Fantasyland level dark rides in each park, IMO.

Oh I agree. But the flat ride in Springfield and Olivanders in WWOHP are steps in right directions. Lorax and Spongebob could fit the bill for dark rides easily.

That space is huge! I do agree on the whole variety thing. We don't need 3 simulators in one park.

:inquisitive: I don't understand this. Magic Kingdom for instance does well with having multiple dark rides. Universal can have more than one simulator because that's a strength for them. It's not exactly overkill either. Each simulator is different in it's own way. So at least the simulators are varied, if that helps.

Last edited:
Spread out crowds, keep other wait times down, keep people in the park lingering longer, offer more for the whole family which is the only place Universal is behind in right now.

I Understand that, I agree. But at the same time, that's not what Universal is known for. Wouldn't that be a challenge for them?

I Understand that, I agree. But at the same time, that's not what Universal is known for. Wouldn't that be a challenge for them?

That really means nothing. They weren't known for much of anything between IOA and Potter. They can do anything they want with their skills and the money Comcast is throwing their way.

I thought it was the best because it has Better Pirates, Better Space Mt, Better Small World, and Indy? :lol:

Not to mention a better Buzz Lightyear, Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Snow White (still), Mr. Toad, Storybookland, a well-executed Toontown, Roger Rabbit (!!), an (IMO) superior (or at least better maintained) Splash Mountain, New Orleans Square, Critter Country... and the list goes on.

The only real plusses Magic Kingdom has over Disneyland Park is bigger pathways, a bigger castle, a longer Jungle Cruise, and a superior Pooh & Haunted Mansion (if you ignore the McPlay Place queue).

Oh I agree. But the flat ride in Springfield and Olivanders in WWOHP are steps in right directions. Lorax and Spongebob could fit the bill for dark rides easily.

Ollivanders is...okay. The capacity is a problem for it.

:inquisitive: I don't understand this. Magic Kingdom for instance does well with having multiple dark rides. Universal can have more than one simulator because that's a strength for them. It's not exactly overkill either. Each simulator is different in it's own way. So at least the simulators are varied, if that helps.

Sure. But it's at the point where the park is too over reliant on screen attractions. They need to differentiate the park.

Not really. It's not hard to design a dark ride for the whole family.

I think Universal's problems with kid rides is that the kinds of movies that are marketable and long lasting are often blockbusters that aren't aimed at kids (more to the PG-13 crowd), and don't lend themselves to calming rides (the highest grossing films tend to be action movies). Universal got lucky with Despicable Me being family-friendly and high-grossing, but when the market is dominated by action movies that aren't seen by young children and don't make for calm attractions, a studio-based theme park has a hard time. And though 3-D shows are an easy way to translate children's properties into 'attractions' you can only do that so much. Disney has it easy--their library of classic kid-friendly cartoons lend themselves well to dark rides because there's no huge action set pieces they need to portray and they work as stories being told. Universal doesn't have that luxury (besides ET which has already been taken care of). And since Universal can't theme rides to the latest kids pictures (because there's no telling how long they stay relevant and children's films often are made for quick profit and diversion), they sort of have to do the best with what they have. If their contract with DreamWorks allows them to turn those properties into rides, they could do a lot with that, but even then, how do you translate anything but an action film into a ride (what kind of non-restricting ride would a HTTYD be?).

If their contract with DreamWorks allows them to turn those properties into rides, they could do a lot with that, but even then, how do you translate anything but an action film into a ride (what kind of non-restricting ride would a HTTYD be?).

There is no contract with Dreamworks.

And just because there is action in a movie, it doesn't mean the attraction has to include it. All the classic Disney movies have elements of action in them, and there is still slow moving non restrictive dark rides for them.

Voyage to Bikini Bottom trackless dark ride!:happy::happy::happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.