The State of Epcot | Page 53 | Inside Universal Forums

The State of Epcot

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CIVILITY!

..guys I just thought of something.. we should have a pledge of allegiance to the civility of the forums that we must accept every time we enter the site.. as a reminder of our humble beginnings
:thumbsup:.......and drink to it to seal the bargain. :cheers: :) Duffs for us or a Butterbeer for the non alcohol drinkers. :)

Reactions: Joel
I'm convinced this is going to be TRON rather than GOTG.... I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and predict RnRC becomes Guardians!

Also, I understand the Epcot park isn't Walt's vision of Epcot but WDW as a whole (it's infrastructure etc...) is kinda close to Walt's Epcot.

Reactions: Alicia
I hope there's something educational about it and not just "computerz lulz = EPCOT"
I would like of give that a pass considering TRON was originally just going to be a video game arcade in CommuniCore. I never got the impression they actually had any true educational element planned with that. Plus TRON is still a thousand times more relevant to EPCOT than Guardians even without any educational elements.

I hope there's something educational about it and not just "computerz lulz = EPCOT"
I'm holding out hope for a sponsor willing to showcase new tech in the queue or exit area.

I remember having my mind blown seeing the precursor to what would eventually become Kindle paper in the nineties at Innoventions. Was so crazy to see a screen that once it loaded didn't use any power, so could stay on forever. They said it would be the future of newspapers and they showed off a big one that was thin as a sheet of glass. That stuck with me.

I know people had their mind blown seeing a touch screen for the first time at the Epcot welcome center in the early eighties. And that was just something near the exit of Spaceship Earth.

Even seeing Chevy's most recent concept cars in the Test Track queue is kind of cool. I noticed they changed them out recently, so they even keep them up to date (and super futuristic looking.)

A good interactive showcase at the exit by a microchip, computer, or communications company would be all I'd need to feel like they're trying to keep the spirit of Epcot alive, even if the attraction itself isn't very educational.

Robots would be cool. People like robots. I wouldn't mind a robot showcase.

Heck, I remember the robotic arm at AT&T at the Movies being pretty cool at Universal in the early nineties.

Reactions: ChristopherSE
I would like of give that a pass considering TRON was originally just going to be a video game arcade in CommuniCore. I never got the impression they actually had any true educational element planned with that.
Not sure the SEGA Genesis free play area at Innoventions was educational but kids loved it! And grown ups would say "I didn't pay all this money for you to do what you can do at home for free!" And I be all like, yea, but I've never played Aladdin yet!

Not sure the SEGA Genesis free play area at Innoventions was educational but kids loved it! And grown ups would say "I didn't pay all this money for you to do what you can do at home for free!" And I be all like, yea, but I've never played Aladdin yet!

Well, we can hope if they plan to do Energy then there is a plan for Innoventions.

Maybe the TRON structure is coming - and it's taking out that section of East Innoventions opening the area up behind Spaceship Earth. It'd be easy enough to move Guest Relations again, rework Electric Umbrella as a stand-alone island... etc..

Really interested in what is planned. They cant just ignore WOL and Innoventions.. can they?

Really interested in what is planned. They cant just ignore WOL and Innoventions.. can they?
Yes. Yes they can.

They spent a tiny amount of money adding the words "Festival Center" inside WoL so that's good for another decade and a half.

Maybe they'll paint over the swatches on the CommuniCore buildings. That counts as something I'm sure.

:thumbsup:.......and drink to it to seal the bargain. :cheers: :) Duffs for us or a Butterbeer for the non alcohol drinkers. :)
No Duff, that carp is bitter! Oh, yeah "hoppy" not my brew.

If GM has the problems with emissions cheating that VW has I doubt their participation will be much and we might be on the hook for another bailout

I'm holding out hope for a sponsor willing to showcase new tech in the queue or exit area.

I remember having my mind blown seeing the precursor to what would eventually become Kindle paper in the nineties at Innoventions. Was so crazy to see a screen that once it loaded didn't use any power, so could stay on forever. They said it would be the future of newspapers and they showed off a big one that was thin as a sheet of glass. That stuck with me.

I know people had their mind blown seeing a touch screen for the first time at the Epcot welcome center in the early eighties. And that was just something near the exit of Spaceship Earth.

Even seeing Chevy's most recent concept cars in the Test Track queue is kind of cool. I noticed they changed them out recently, so they even keep them up to date (and super futuristic looking.)

A good interactive showcase at the exit by a microchip, computer, or communications company would be all I'd need to feel like they're trying to keep the spirit of Epcot alive, even if the attraction itself isn't very educational.

Robots would be cool. People like robots. I wouldn't mind a robot showcase.

Heck, I remember the robotic arm at AT&T at the Movies being pretty cool at Universal in the early nineties.

I'd be amazed if anything new at Epcot had a sponsor.

Reactions: jtsalien and Alicia

Yes. Yes they can.

They spent a tiny amount of money adding the words "Festival Center" inside WoL so that's good for another decade and a half.

Maybe they'll paint over the swatches on the CommuniCore buildings. That counts as something I'm sure.
Latest i've heard they have lots of plans for Innoventions/CommuniCore.

Electric Umbrella leaving, new quick serve replacing it in empty innoventions area. Starbucks may be moving as well. Mouse Gear is supposed to get a new name and a new aesthetic. There's more but I can't remember all of it right now.

Epcot has a box of discarded location names to draw from. None were ever really bad names so reusing some of them wouldn't surprise me.

Centorium, Stargate, Centercore, Futurecom, Sunrise Terrace, World Key, Future Port, Pasta Piazza, Well n Goods, Pure and Simple, The Good Turn, Transcenter, and even the Green Thumb Emporium.

Epcot has a box of discarded location names to draw from. None were ever really bad names so reusing some of them wouldn't surprise me.

Centorium, Stargate, Centercore, Futurecom, Sunrise Terrace, World Key, Future Port, Pasta Piazza, Well n Goods, Pure and Simple, The Good Turn, Transcenter, and even the Green Thumb Emporium.

Unless they offer discount HRT at the Transcenter, I'm not behind them using that specific name again. :lol:

Reactions: ChristopherSE
Overheard a rumor at Epcot... (Yeah I know this is the worst way to find out about things) Is GotG being slipped into the Mission: Space refurb? (and being done quietly to not violate the advertising rules in the marvel contract?)

Reactions: Alicia
Overheard a rumor at Epcot... (Yeah I know this is the worst way to find out about things) Is GotG being slipped into the Mission: Space refurb? (and being done quietly to not violate the advertising rules in the marvel contract?)
It's entirely possible that I started that rumor, or at least gave it some traction, back in January. My first big story on my new site was about all the rumors for Epcot's "Big Update." And while everyone was talking about Guardians to replace UoE I said it was more likely Tron Coaster would go there and Guardians would go to Mission Space.

My reasoning was mainly that it wouldn't be difficult to swap out the ride films and signs in case of legal action from Universal. Much easier to reverse course this way than building something new.

There's still a part of me that wonders if they aren't gonna try this. But the logical side says they're not actually allowed to. Then again, I just met baby Groot and Star-Lord at Hollywood Studios, so Disney's cra cra and might just go for it. Guess we'll find out soon.

Excerpt from what I wrote in January:

...But that is not going to stop Disney from getting the most from their $100 million investment, so you better believe this ride ain’t going nowhere anytime soon.

But how do you get more people to ride your scary spinning vomit machine? Simple. Add in a wise-cracking talking raccoon and a man that’s a tree that only says one catch-phrase over and over. That’s right, this is where I’ve heard the Guardians of the Galaxy are going, and I think it’s a great fit. What better way to experience a spaceship driven franchise than in a spaceship simulator? (Certainly not an elevator drop ride, that makes like, absolutely no sense to me. But what do I know.)

The best part about retheming an attraction by simply changing out a movie, (and probably making some small cosmetic changes to the outdoor signage and queue decor,) is that if the theme park down the street threatens to sue you, you can just switch it back overnight. That’s right, don’t think I’ve forgotten about the fact that Universal holds the theme park rights to Marvel characters for all parks east of the Mississippi. (Although, it seems that everyone else has.) This is a sticky matter that is better left to the companies’ lawyers to dissect, but if Disney attempts to put any Marvel characters into the Orlando parks, this probably their best bet. If they’re ever legally forced to roll it back, it’ll actually be an easily feasible option.

I think having Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy in Future World East would be great additions. It certainly would spice things up a bit, and with Test Track included, would cement this quadrant of the park as the thrill ride zone, much like Sunset Boulevard at Hollywood Studios has become with Tower of Terror and Rockin’ Roller Coaster at the end of the street. Not only that, but these are properties that can remain timeless, each with their own aesthetic theming will bring something unique to the skyline of Epcot, really transforming it forever in a radical, but needed, way. This will no longer be Future World, but instead, a world of Discovery and Adventure.​

It's entirely possible that I started that rumor, or at least gave it some traction, back in January. My first big story on my new site was about all the rumors for Epcot's "Big Update." And while everyone was talking about Guardians to replace UoE I said it was more likely Tron Coaster would go there and Guardians would go to Mission Space.

My reasoning was mainly that it wouldn't be difficult to swap out the ride films and signs in case of legal action from Universal. Much easier to reverse course this way than building something new.

There's still a part of me that wonders if they aren't gonna try this. But the logical side says they're not actually allowed to. Then again, I just met baby Groot and Star-Lord at Hollywood Studios, so Disney's cra cra and might just go for it. Guess we'll find out soon.

Excerpt from what I wrote in January:

...But that is not going to stop Disney from getting the most from their $100 million investment, so you better believe this ride ain’t going nowhere anytime soon.

But how do you get more people to ride your scary spinning vomit machine? Simple. Add in a wise-cracking talking raccoon and a man that’s a tree that only says one catch-phrase over and over. That’s right, this is where I’ve heard the Guardians of the Galaxy are going, and I think it’s a great fit. What better way to experience a spaceship driven franchise than in a spaceship simulator? (Certainly not an elevator drop ride, that makes like, absolutely no sense to me. But what do I know.)

The best part about retheming an attraction by simply changing out a movie, (and probably making some small cosmetic changes to the outdoor signage and queue decor,) is that if the theme park down the street threatens to sue you, you can just switch it back overnight. That’s right, don’t think I’ve forgotten about the fact that Universal holds the theme park rights to Marvel characters for all parks east of the Mississippi. (Although, it seems that everyone else has.) This is a sticky matter that is better left to the companies’ lawyers to dissect, but if Disney attempts to put any Marvel characters into the Orlando parks, this probably their best bet. If they’re ever legally forced to roll it back, it’ll actually be an easily feasible option.

I think having Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy in Future World East would be great additions. It certainly would spice things up a bit, and with Test Track included, would cement this quadrant of the park as the thrill ride zone, much like Sunset Boulevard at Hollywood Studios has become with Tower of Terror and Rockin’ Roller Coaster at the end of the street. Not only that, but these are properties that can remain timeless, each with their own aesthetic theming will bring something unique to the skyline of Epcot, really transforming it forever in a radical, but needed, way. This will no longer be Future World, but instead, a world of Discovery and Adventure.​
Rumor monger. :rant: :fist:...;) :)

Well, i'm pretty sure we at the very least know that M:S isn't getting Guardians as that refurb is underway and announced and you bet Disney would've made a big deal about it if it were a thing.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Well, i'm pretty sure we at the very least know that M:S isn't getting Guardians as that refurb is underway and announced and you bet Disney would've made a big deal about it if it were a thing.
Yea, but I think Bobharlem's original point was the contract doesn't allow promotion of attractions with Marvel characters here, hence the hush hush.

Which, I am wondering, was there never any promotion (officially) for the meet and greet going on now at Hollywood Studios, or has it all been blogger based? I don't think the Disney Parks Blog even talked about it. Will have to look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.