Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 113 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Let's see if this actually announces something. Honestly could be with Newsom promising that tomorrow guidelines are being updated again.
The update says no Reopening date will be given....so maybe they will finally do a tasting event?

I still don't get why they refused to do one, when they could have easily have one event at each park DCA and DL and made them cost 100+ bucks and still got people to come in and not have any rides open...

All the WDW parks have extended hours posted for Friday/Saturday/Sunday with one or two hour later close times than previously posted. Looks like weekend crowds are now the "new normal"

Reactions: Mad Dog
All the WDW parks have extended hours posted for Friday/Saturday/Sunday with one or two hour later close times than previously posted. Looks like weekend crowds are now the "new normal"
In other words, they've become a regional park for the time being, much like how a Six Flags or Cedar fair park normally would get very busy on weekends.

Reactions: GAcoaster
Looking at line times, the last few weekends seem to have had decent covid era crowds in WDW.......Interesting. Hong Kong reopens to a 'five' days a week schedule. Closed on Tues. & Thursdays. Of course,
with their recent year's attendance that might be a good move for normal times.

Looking at line times, the last few weekends seem to have had decent covid era crowds in WDW.......Interesting. Hong Kong reopens to a 'five' days a week schedule. Closed on Tues. & Thursdays. Of course,
with their recent year's attendance that might be a good move for normal times.
Looking at line times now is deceiving as rides aren't being run all that close to their fullest capacity. At least at WDW they aren't.

Looking at line times now is deceiving as rides aren't being run all that close to their fullest capacity. At least at WDW they aren't.
and....that's why I use the term 'covid era crowds' :) ......a good individual example though is FOP. In the early going it was a walk on most days. Lately, on weekends it's been 50 to 75 minutes covid era lines, with posted
wait times adjusted by Touring Plans using test observers.

Reactions: Nick
and....that's why I use the term 'covid era crowds' :) ......a good individual example though is FOP. In the early going it was a walk on most days. Lately, on weekends it's been 50 to 75 minutes covid era lines, with posted
wait times adjusted by Touring Plans using test observers.
Ah, missed that part. Yeah, I went to DAK early on and was able to do FOP basically as many times as I wanted with no wait. They were offering re-rides at the exit lines were so low.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Ah, missed that part. Yeah, I went to DAK early on and was able to do FOP basically as many times as I wanted with no wait. They were offering re-rides at the exit lines were so low.
Besides the later closings at the other parks, AK will be opening an hour earlier this weekend as well.

Let's see if this actually announces something. Honestly could be with Newsom promising that tomorrow guidelines are being updated again.
You know, I bit my tongue for the longest time on here as I've suspected this for a while, but I think it's more obvious this becoming a political issue at this point than a health/safety issue.

WDW and Orlando have all shown they can operate "safely" given the circumstances. AFAIK, I haven't heard any park cast member that has died from covid. Oh, and Florida had way more cases than California did. So if I can go to a grocery store, go "peacefully protest" (And Newsom will hardly address that!), go to Downtown Disney and City Walk, why in blazes can't I go to a theme park, which would be FAR more controlled than going to the beach or a protest or a city park!? Why has the rest of the world moved on in reopening their theme parks (Australia and Canada being the exceptions) but we haven't?! They're doing just fine. Even in totalitarian China they're letting their parks open!

So what gives Newsom!? Why are you radio silent about letting the parks reopen? Why can totalitarian China and the rest of the planet open their parks but we still gotta keep 'em shut down?! Oh, maybe it might have to do with trying to influence an upcoming election. I don't think it's a coincidence that LA County Health Director Barbra Ferrer straight-up admitted on a phone call that she doesn't think kids will go back to school until the election is over. WHOOPS! Don't take my word for it: Here's the recording! Gotta make everyone as angry, frustrated, and as miserable as possible and blame the other party. Sounds like Newsom is trying to play the same game here with the theme parks.

I know the mods won't be thrilled about political posts but if they feel comfortable sharing what they feel about the President now and then, it's only fair to address how this is looking more clear these continued shut-downs are politically motivated. Mark my words: unless Disney or any one of the parks threaten to take legal action or give money to their political opponent, Newsom will not allow the parks to open until the election is over, regardless of who wins. Watch. He'll either say the parks can re-open on a date that falls after the election OR (and I think this is more likely unless one of the parks sue) he will wait until the election is over to give the guidelines to reopen.

• Love
Reactions: Coolbfitz
You know, I bit my tongue for the longest time on here as I've suspected this for a while, but I think it's more obvious this becoming a political issue at this point than a health/safety issue.

WDW and Orlando have all shown they can operate "safely" given the circumstances. AFAIK, I haven't heard any park cast member that has died from covid. Oh, and Florida had way more cases than California did. So if I can go to a grocery store, go "peacefully protest" (And Newsom will hardly address that!), go to Downtown Disney and City Walk, why in blazes can't I go to a theme park, which would be FAR more controlled than going to the beach or a protest or a city park!? Why has the rest of the world moved on in reopening their theme parks (Australia and Canada being the exceptions) but we haven't?! They're doing just fine. Even in totalitarian China they're letting their parks open!

So what gives Newsom!? Why are you radio silent about letting the parks reopen? Why can totalitarian China and the rest of the planet open their parks but we still gotta keep 'em shut down?! Oh, maybe it might have to do with trying to influence an upcoming election. I don't think it's a coincidence that LA County Health Director Barbra Ferrer straight-up admitted on a phone call that she doesn't think kids will go back to school until the election is over. WHOOPS! Don't take my word for it: Here's the recording! Gotta make everyone as angry, frustrated, and as miserable as possible and blame the other party. Sounds like Newsom is trying to play the same game here with the theme parks.

I know the mods won't be thrilled about political posts but if they feel comfortable sharing what they feel about the President now and then, it's only fair to address how this is looking more clear these continued shut-downs are politically motivated. Mark my words: unless Disney or any one of the parks threaten to take legal action or give money to their political opponent, Newsom will not allow the parks to open until the election is over, regardless of who wins. Watch. He'll either say the parks can re-open on a date that falls after the election OR (and I think this is more likely unless one of the parks sue) he will wait until the election is over to give the guidelines to reopen.
Did you ever consider that the reason why Florida had more cases is because California is still locked down?

Did you ever consider that the reason why Florida had more cases is because California is still locked down?
Okay, how many people died from Covid since Florida reopened? How many deaths were there in relation to cases when they reopened? Should we just stay shut down until no one ever gets sick ever again?

Here’s another question: how many people are suffering from their livelihoods being halted from the prolonged shutdowns? How much more personal, psychological, and economic damage was caused from the prolonged California shutdowns?

Look at the prices of renting a Uhaul from California to any city and compare it to the price of renting one of one city TO California. A lot of people are fed up with the prolonged shutdowns and are moving out.

Okay, how many people died from Covid since Florida reopened? How many deaths were there in relation to cases when they reopened? Should we just stay shut down until no one ever gets sick ever again?

Here’s another question: how many people are suffering from their livelihoods being halted from the prolonged shutdowns? How much more personal, psychological, and economic damage was caused from the prolonged California shutdowns?

Look at the prices of renting a Uhaul from California to any city and compare it to the price of renting one of one city TO California. A lot of people are fed up with the prolonged shutdowns and are moving out.
Florida reopening started on May 4th, and... oh geesh will you look at those by-day death rates?

It’s almost like the more stuff reopens, the more people die.

542D8290-3C43-4434-B2DC-B33D02D37BEA.jpeg

Let’s look at California. There’s a lot of variation, but generally it’s a fairly flat trend. Again, it’s still locked down though.

3CA8A19D-4142-413D-B397-A55B1A8985AF.png

Now, granted Florida has fewer total deaths and cases. California was literally the entry point for the virus into the US. It’s directly affected California longer. But what percentage of the population are these numbers affecting.

California -
39.51 million people -> 2% infected -> .038% dead

Florida -
21.48 million people -> 3.2 % infected - .062% dead

For context. If California had the same death rate as Florida (possible if they reopened), California would have 24,675 dead. Almost 10,000 more than what it’s at now.

But sure. Let’s reopen.

The realities of more openings = more cases = inevitably more hospitalizations and deaths aside, I think it is fair to point out that the California theme park situation has become more optics-driven than science-driven. The state already permits indoor dining and movie theaters to operate, which are literally and fundamentally unsafe if people are taking their masks off.

You also can no longer say we don't allow crowds a theme park would command to congregate, even at reduced capacity, because... we're doing it! Knott's Berry Farm's food festivals have shown it can be permitted (albeit through a loophole), suggesting this is really more a question of avoiding the headlines and retaliatory perceptions than because the science suggests "theme park-like settings" are fundamentally more dangerous than other currently allowed activities. If it were, Knott's wouldn't be allowed to operate. Adding rides into the mix does not actually change much if surface transmission is not the primary thing to worry about.

I personally don't see a reason at this point why theme parks should not be allowed to operate under scrutiny, tight restrictions, and controlled capacities. Good freaking luck to the folks who have to manage Disneyland's annual passholders when the time comes, but I agree, it is time. While I try not to let people's worst instincts guide my decision making, it is also worth pointing out that people will simply make their own entertainment and socializations. Parties are more frequent throughout Los Angeles. Speakeasies (!) exist. People are desperate for anything to do. Giving them as many safe outlets as possible is key to managing the pandemic as it drags on.

I just moved TO California, and I ain’t going anywhere! Happy to wait things out, because there’s PLENTY to do, even with things shutdown, on fire, and shaking all the time.

The realities of more openings = more cases = inevitably more hospitalizations and deaths aside, I think it is fair to point out that the California theme park situation has become more optics-driven than science-driven. The state already permits indoor dining and movie theaters to operate, which are literally and fundamentally unsafe if people are taking their masks off.

You also can no longer say we don't allow crowds a theme park would command to congregate, even at reduced capacity, because... we're doing it! Knott's Berry Farm's food festivals have shown it can be permitted (albeit through a loophole), suggesting this is really more a question of avoiding the headlines and retaliatory perceptions than because the science suggests "theme park-like settings" are fundamentally more dangerous than other currently allowed activities. If it were, Knott's wouldn't be allowed to operate. Adding rides into the mix does not actually change much if surface transmission is not the primary thing to worry about.

I personally don't see a reason at this point why theme parks should not be allowed to operate under scrutiny, tight restrictions, and controlled capacities. Good freaking luck to the folks who have to manage Disneyland's annual passholders when the time comes, but I agree, it is time. While I try not to let people's worst instincts guide my decision making, it is also worth pointing out that people will simply make their own entertainment and socializations. Parties are more frequent throughout Los Angeles. Speakeasies (!) exist. People are desperate for anything to do. Giving them as many safe outlets as possible is key to managing the pandemic as it drags on.

Honestly from what I've seen movie theaters are a much worse idea to open than theme parks. At least with parks you'll be cycling through an air conditioned area instead of spending 2+ hours with a crowd of people.

Agreed. And when it comes to science, they really don't have much significant data related to closings. It's more like second guess, and how something will play politically. There's really not much in the way
of scientific studies with data on any covid stuff, one reason experts are so divided and many national and world health agencies keep flip flopping on causes, spread, how's and why's . Common sense probably works better,
until they come up with solid data studies, instead of the 'assumptions' that the experts keep saying, and then changing..Projections are still all over the map, and change drastically on a weekly basis. ..Bottom line, even after 9 months of this is, 'they just don't know'.

Status
Not open for further replies.